Big Deal For Big Willie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Big Deal For Big Willie

Moderator: Football Moderators

Big Deal For Big Willie

Postby jayday » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:38 pm

Link

Willie Anderson stands on the verge of joining Ken Anderson as the longest serving Bengal after the club extended the three-time Pro Bowler’s contract five more years through the 2011 season Thursday in a deal thought to be worth $32 million with half of it coming in the next two years and nearly $20 million in the first three in making him the NFL's top paid right tackle.

Anderson, 31, would be in his 16th season on that final year and would tie the Bengals’ longevity record set by another Anderson, the club’s all-time passer in records set from 1971-86.

"This is a special day for me and also for the organization I hope," said Anderson in a press release. "The Bengals stepped to the plate and allowed me a chance to do what I've always wanted to do, which is stay with one organization my entire career."

The deal comes on the heels of last month’s six-year extension for left tackle Levi Jones totaling $40 million as the Bengals make sure quarterback Carson Palmer is going to be their next all-time leading passer by locking up his bookend tackles. Anderson and Jones were the linchpins of Palmer’s pass protection that allowed him to get sacked the fewest times of any other regular quarterback except Peyton Manning last season on the way to his first Pro Bowl.

On the eve of the preseason finale in Indianapolis, the Anderson extension fittingly wraps up an all-out offseason offensive by the front office to secure long-term deals for several members of one of the league’s top offenses. The bonanza began with Palmer’s own six-year, $97 million extension back in December, followed by new deals for fullback Jeremi Johnson, right guard Bobbie Williams, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson and now Jones and Anderson.

I'm so glad this happened, yet worried at the same time....

I love that Willie is a Bengal for life and that we've rewarded him for sticking it out for so long through the years....But there's been a lot of football played on those 31-year old knees, including 10 years pro already....I hope he holds up because the contract isn't really backloaded that much....

This also signifies that Steinbach probably will hit the free agent market at the end of the season.....He is going to get money in the upper echelon for Guards, I'd say approaching what Steve Hutchinson got.....So the big rookie Andrew Whitworth is likely going to be the starter at Left Guard on opening day in '07.....I'm confident he can perform at a high level at that spot....

We love ya Big Willie ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Cincinnati Bengals