Bug in yahoo autodraft. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bug in yahoo autodraft.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Bug in yahoo autodraft.

Postby gatorman1122 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:16 pm

stomperrob wrote:
matmat wrote:I couldn't make my online draft -- other things in life had priority. No problem, right? just set up your autodraft order and yahoo will take care of it for you!

i decided to get a little bit tricky. I remembered that in prior years i thought that for people that were auto-drafting kickers and defences tended to be picked way too early. so i sent all of them to the do-not-pick list, or whatever it is called. i did the same for all but the top four or five tight ends.

so i get to my computer post draft and find, that whilst the first few picks to fill my starting line-up are sane (and even quite decent), the remainder of my roster has been filled with the likes of van pelt (plummer as well as a few others were still available at QB). myree in the eight round (12 team league?) seems that when the autopicker fails to find someone for the position it thinks it needs to pick, it chooses someone from the end of the list...

now my team is royally screwed.

Did you pre-ramk 150 players? If you didn't, what happens is Yahoo's list kicks in when your list ends (at least that's the way it worked when I used to autodraft). So for example if you only pre-ranked 100 players, once all those players are gone, Yahoo's crappy rankings kick in.

Tried that...some of the players I preranked weren't picked even when they were still available. Instead, I got Van Pelt, Lee, Battaglia, etc. :-t
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:23 pm

one quirk in the yahoo system is that it will disregaurd prerankings in order to fill all starting spots before drafting bench players

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Same Problem

Postby a2united11 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:49 pm

One of my buddies couldn't make our yahoo live draft and pretty much the exact same thing happened to him. I haven't talked to him since and was wondering why he started autodrafting the worst players.

Somewhat 'normal' autodraft through leftwich in round 9, then things got crazy. He already had a TE in shockey (5th round i think).

Then:

10. E. Conwell (TE)
11. C. Anderson (TE)
12. B. Miree (?)
13. B. Symons (?)
14. M. Battaglia (?)
15. B. Van Pelt (QB, drunk)
16. J. Dunn (?)
17. R. Lee (?)
18. Cleo Lemon (QB)
19. W. Welker (WR)

In the end... he finished with 5 TEs and no hope of competing. This is a major bug with the autodraft. Looks like many of the same players found their way onto both teams.
a2united11
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:12 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:Does yahoo have a suggestion box? I think something that would be very usefull for them to add the the preranking system is for teams to have the ability to designate what positions to pick in each round, or the ability to tell it not to pick certain positions until a certain round.

It would be nice if you could tell the autodraft system that you want it to draft RB/RB/WR/RB/WR/WR/TE/QB/WR/RB/WR/RB/QB/D/K
in that order

Myfantasyleague.com has that option
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 pm

Yea, they make sure to fill out your roster for you no matter what

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RoxSox8 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:53 am

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:o, and if you want to hear about a real bug, listen to what happened to me this past monday in our Live Draft.

It was round 8, all was going well. We were at the 5th pick of the 8th round, and all the sudden the system goes crazy, and boom, its the 10th round. The 5 players that had been picked in the 8th are no longer on the rosters. It appears that those 5 guys got send back to the available players, and then 2 whole rounds were autodrafted. Then, from the 10th round on, it was fine. But it was a big deal cause it was a money league, and we had to sort through who the 5 players that had already been picked were.

We ended up having to drop all the players who were drafted in rounds 8 and 9, and then held a mini 2 round draft on a message board for those guys. The only problem is that there were guys autodrafted in those rounds that would have fallen, and guys drafted after that in the later rounds who people might have reached for and drafted early. It was a big mess.

Auto-drafting in a money league is just wrong. :-P
Go Chargers!
RoxSox8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Re:

Postby jmog » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:13 pm

RoxSox8 wrote:
Auto-drafting in a money league is just wrong. :-P

I agree 100%. I would never join a money league that autodrafts.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby ctt8410 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:53 am

This is interesting. How many players did you pre-rank? I've seen results from other forums where guys came away with amazing teams by excluding all the K, DEF, and TE.
ctt8410
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:10 am

I do this every year in one league that insists on autodrafting. You need to take off EVERY crummy player to do it. I mean seriously, after you have counted out two qbs per team, put every other one on the DND list. Do the same for the TEs that you woudln't waste anything other than a next to last pick, defenses, etc. You gotta be ruthless. It ends up helping you, but you need to make sure you don't have anyone left other than people you would consciously pick. I took off all but 7 TEs, half the defenses, every qb after 24, etc. All the bad wrs and so on.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk