Running QBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Running QBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Running QBs

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:57 pm

When ranking QBs, how much should I put into QBs FF scoring by running? I'm REALLY down on Ron Mexico because he's a horrid passer, but he's tied at 6th on my QB chart (going by estimated total points scored) with Delhomme, Bledsoe, Hasselback, and Bulger. But he's only there purely on the strength of his running ability.

Should I take that into concideration? If so, is there any other QBs I should take that into concideration besides him and McNabb? I know other QBs scramble some and may score a TD every now and then, but these are the only two guys I can think of who do it consistantly.

Just for info, McNabb is ranked 3rd thanks to projected 300 yards and 3 TDs rushing. I'm also projecting 600 yards and 6 TDs rushing from Ron Mexico.

EDIT: Run heavy league. :-D

EDIT EDIT: My thoughts are use the projected TDs but not the yards.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:15 pm

You're asking me to stay tuned to current events outside the realm of fantasy football and, strictly speaking, football in general; if you expect me to know who Ron Mexico is. But I know now, since I Googled him.

I'd rather have a QB who has scored slightly fewer TDs all through the air than a QB who has scored slightly morem, some of which on the ground. It's about injury risks.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:19 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:You're asking me to stay tuned to current events outside the realm of fantasy football and, strictly speaking, football in general; if you expect me to know who Ron Mexico is. But I know now, since I Googled him.

I'd rather have a QB who has scored slightly fewer TDs all through the air than a QB who has scored slightly morem, some of which on the ground. It's about injury risks.

Sorry, I thought everyone knew who Ron Mexico (AKA Mike Vick) was! :-o
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deacon » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:00 pm

In fantasy points are points. Would you not take Westbrook because he has more receiving yards than rushing yards?

If Vick throws for 140yds with 1td passing and runs for 80yds with 1td rushing that's still a very solid fantasy performance.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:38 pm

deacon wrote:In fantasy points are points. Would you not take Westbrook because he has more receiving yards than rushing yards?

If Vick throws for 140yds with 1td passing and runs for 80yds with 1td rushing that's still a very solid fantasy performance.

Not if he throws one interception, fumbles twice, and is out for half the season with injuries.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby deacon » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:41 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:
deacon wrote:In fantasy points are points. Would you not take Westbrook because he has more receiving yards than rushing yards?

Not if he throws one interception, fumbles twice, and is out for half the season with injuries.

Yeah I guess you're right Vick is the only QB in the NFL that could have turnovers and injuries.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:56 pm

deacon wrote:
Wesley Walker wrote:

Yeah I guess you're right Vick is the only QB in the NFL that could have turnovers and injuries.

As you ironically point out, all QBs are injury-prone and turnover-prone. But the more they run the more prone they are. Vick runs a lot.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby bagobonez » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:07 pm

Vick's durability (or lack thereof) is what scares me away. I'd only draft him if I had another serviceable QB like Jake Plummer or Trent Green to platoon him with.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 am

actually I was stunned. I got stuck with vick as my backup in one league (behind trent green), and while this league is kind of stacked againt qb's, 50 yards per point, there was only something like a 6 pt difference between the two. If I had ANY faith in Vick staying healthy, I'd contemplate trading away green, a receiver and a back to a suck team for a stud rb.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cooner » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:16 am

i'm seriously thinking of giving him a go in a 2QB league that grants 1/2 a point per rush attempt. Thats 50 more points of the course of the season for Vick... 35 more than any other QB.

If it's a big payoff, I think it's definitely worth the risk.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk