tips for first timer to a womens' fantasy league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

tips for first timer to a womens' fantasy league

Moderator: Football Moderators

tips for first timer to a womens' fantasy league

Postby dihall » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:36 pm

I am a first timer to a womens' league and need some tips for the draft. I am very familiar with football and have always followed my husband's fantasy teams when he played. Any good tips for sleeper picks or ones that may not be a first pick. I have a 7th pick overall in the first round and am not sure what route to take. Do I pick up a quarterback or a different position? Any tips would be appreciated!
dihall
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cwebb » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:59 pm

A women's league? ;-D

I guess you don't want to hear jokes about it so just let me take a breath and get rid of all those thoughts...

!+)

First, try reading Dan's article on the draft which you find under Point of View and take a look at our cheat sheets and don't listen to your husband when he gets angry over one of your picks! Stay calm and focused follow your instincts.

At pick 7 if you can get Garcia it would be a great pick, or you go for a RB, but that tier of players is deep enough so you should be able to grab a RB in the second round, too (if it's a ten team league and snake format)

I'm thinking about guys like George, Martin, Dillon who could easily drop that far but are solid #1 RBs and should form a great tandem with a stud QB lik Garcia.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby n_tremain23 » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:37 pm

You may want to go with a RB in the first round.With the 7th pick you could possibly get LaDanian Tomlinson,Anthony Thomas,Stephen Davis,or Eddie George.Any of them would be a quality pick.If any stud QB's are left with the 7th pick,then you may want to possibly go with him and see what RB's are left in the 2nd round.Garcia,Manning,and McNabb may be available and might be worth the 7th pick.
n_tremain23

Postby Q- Tip ontheMIC » Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:53 pm

Hey Di,
Welcome to our world. I would wait on a QB till the 2nd at least. I would like to get a "stud" @ rb and wr b/f my QB. The qb talent will last a little longer than the rb/wr talent will. Do you get points for receptions in your league?? If you do, you might want to look @ a WR like Owens or Harrison. If you do that be sure to get a Rb in the 2nd round. Or if you go Rb in the 1st, then go WR in the 2nd. Best available after that. See who is there @ every pick. But see now you are asking for sleepers. You want the things that keep us up till 3 in the morning. That's why they are called sleepers. We don't get sleep, trying to figure out who sleepers are. I'll save you a little homework, but not next year. ;-)
Ok, here are a couple.
J. Morton
Kevin Johnson
M. Muhammad
Dez White
T. JOnes
D. Foster
M. Vick
What do you think??
Good Luck
Q- Tip ontheMIC

Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:26 pm

With the 7th pick, I think you'll have to be very flexible this year. I've already seen drafts with Kurt Warner still available at that pick, and the order in which the second tier of RBs is being taken varies greatly from draft to draft. At #7, even picking up a top WR isn't out of the question either, although I'd personally rather have a QB or an RB.

In general, though, with that draft choice I'd lean toward grabbing a solid RB - the QBs will still be there when your second-round pick rolls around.

As to sleepers, we'll be putting up a few new names very shortly... At the upper level, I feel that Antonio Freeman may be undervalued in many drafts; near the end of deep drafts, D'Wayne Bates is looking good right now...

And Q-Tip - that has to be the best etymology of the word "sleeper" that I've ever heard! (not to mention some good sleepers!) :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Women's ff league

Postby dihall » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:45 am

I appreciate all of your suggestions, except the one orgy suggestion, that really was an intelligent one! !+) Our draft is tomorrow and after all of my research, hopefully it will go well. I will be taking all of the suggestions to heart and going from there. Thanks again! ;-D
dihall
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Arlo » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:27 am

One final suggestion: Have a blast! Drafting a team is a lot of fun, whether you're sitting at your computer poring over cheat sheets or at the table with friends - some fantasy players go so far as to consider the draft the best part of the season.

Good luck and enjoy. Let us know how it turns out! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:58 pm

7th pick??? at least it will give ya a goog second round pick. count on that and score a top tier runningback with the 7 pick..eddie george or deuce mc should be available. then get a quarter back next round...maybe donnavan or drew bledsow will be available.

Friendliness: %

Return to Football Talk