Fat Football Coaches - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fat Football Coaches

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:24 pm

There are quite a few Head Coaches that work out. Tony Dungy hits the gym every morning before his players come... yeah he's not overweight... and yeah, I think his team listens to him.

I agree with the orginal poster, there's no excuse for it.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:26 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:There are quite a few Head Coaches that work out. Tony Dungy hits the gym every morning before his players come... yeah he's not overweight... and yeah, I think his team listens to him.

I agree with the orginal poster, there's no excuse for it.

Dick Vermeil, Herm Edwards, Joe Gibbs, Nick Saban, Mike Nolan, etc. All skinny coaches (or former coaches) who are well respected in the NFL.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ngub12 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:00 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Who is gonna listen to a skinny head coach? It's the intimidation and respect factor. These are 6'5" 250 pound grown ass men we're talking about here. Would you listen to some loud mouth 5'11 170 pound wimp trying to order you around?

A skinny coach is one step on the totem pole above a male WNBA coach.

John Guden has no problem getting the attention/respect/whatever from his players. Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, etc, either.

I think it comes down to your approach also (see Dungy). But there are also exceptions such as Gruden (aka Chucky).
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:02 pm

ngub12 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Who is gonna listen to a skinny head coach? It's the intimidation and respect factor. These are 6'5" 250 pound grown ass men we're talking about here. Would you listen to some loud mouth 5'11 170 pound wimp trying to order you around?

A skinny coach is one step on the totem pole above a male WNBA coach.

John Guden has no problem getting the attention/respect/whatever from his players. Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, etc, either.

I think it comes down to your approach also (see Dungy). But there are also exceptions such as Gruden (aka Chucky).

Yeah, the most intimidating players in the NFL aren't necessarily the fattest... :-?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ampant » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Yeah, the most intimidating players in the NFL aren't necessarily the fattest...

How can you say that? Look how intimidating this guy is . . .

I know I'm scared. Not sure if I'm scared of being eaten or getting sat on, but I'm scared.

;-)
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby mikus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Yeah, the most intimidating players in the NFL aren't necessarily the fattest... :-?

Oh absolutely. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, even Terrell Owens. These guys are freaking ripped and intimidating.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby maddog60 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Notice how the skinny coaches seem to be the younger ones. Not sure how old Dungy is, but Gruden, and Saban for example. Staying fit gets naturally harder with age, so it doesnt surprise me with coaches being a significantly older group of individuals that most of them are out of shape.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby confused_jake » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:34 pm

maddog60 wrote:Notice how the skinny coaches seem to be the younger ones. Not sure how old Dungy is, but Gruden, and Saban for example. Staying fit gets naturally harder with age, so it doesnt surprise me with coaches being a significantly older group of individuals that most of them are out of shape.

There is Mike Tice, whos quite a hefty youngin(for coaches at least).

On the other side of the spectrum, jack del rio looks like he could still strap on the shoulder pads and lay the wood.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:37 am

maddog60 wrote:Notice how the skinny coaches seem to be the younger ones. Not sure how old Dungy is, but Gruden, and Saban for example. Staying fit gets naturally harder with age, so it doesnt surprise me with coaches being a significantly older group of individuals that most of them are out of shape.

I have Vermeil as an example and Gibbs. They're not exactly fresh out of junior high and they're definitely not overweight. Of course, with age it becomes more difficult to stay fit though.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Football Talk