"Loading up" on RB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Loading up" on RB

Moderator: Football Moderators

"Loading up" on RB

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:25 am

I've always been somebody who supported the loading up of RB in fantasy football. However, I'm not so sure this is a good idea now. In one of my leagues, I used 4 of my first 6 picks on SJax, KJ, Jamal, and Chesta (yeah I'll admist Jamal and Chesta were steals in the 5th and 6th). However, I'm not so sure that this was really that smart (league I did this in starts 2 RB). I look around and I see that everyone in the league has a better QB than me. I also see that my #2 WR, K, and D are inferior to everyone. I know that depth is good at RB, but I'm kinda worried because my starters aren't the best, and starters score for you in fantasy....

Anyways, what are everyone else's thoughts (not on my team necessarily, more on whether or not RB-loading/whoring is good).
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pangbones » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:30 am

I usually draft the "best" player available, regardless of position. Sometimes to a fault. If I think a RB should be gone, and the WR's available should be there when I pick again, I'll take the RB. In one league I took a RB in the first 3 rounds, took 2 WR's, then took another RB, QB, then another RB!! That turned out like this:

S Jax
L Jordan
R Bush
S Moss
A Gates (TE's are WR)
C Taylor
Eli Manning
L Maroney
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Vixtor » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:12 am

It works if other owners are willing to trade at some point but usually people overvalue their own roster and are not wanting to make deals.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:06 am

hoarding RBs in a 10-team league is probably a waste of time, but there is definitely something to be said for creating artificial scarcity in 12+ leagues.
[b]Hermes[/b]: Just such the obstinancy that brought you here, to this self-willed calamitous anchorage.

[b]Prometheus[/b]: Be sure of this: when I set my misfortune against your slavery, I would not change.
RugbyD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kellys Heroes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:20 am

I do the opposite and hog all the #2s and #3 wrs this yr... I haven't seen a run on RBs like this ever before.. I know the starters are always sucked up; but now their back ups are being taken way to early for my taste.. Plus half the times, if the owners can't trade the back ups to you.. they will dump them to the WW later on for a crappy WR/TE/QB that they could of drafted in the first place..

So this yr I'm letting them take all their RBs.. I rather have a constient #3 WR Like Kennison or Rod Smith instead of someone else Back up that i won't get to play..

Heres an Example of what I've done in my 2 auction drafts
My $$ 3 yr Keeper
QBs (1) Bulger $25, Brews $14, Plummer $12
RBs (2) Edge $112, Dillon $62, Maroney $36 Henry (WW pick up for now)
WRs (4) Reggie Brown $14, T.O. $63, Horn $20, Kennison $10, Mi Clayton $16, Ma Clayton $10
TE (1) Miller $9
K Shayne Graham $2
LBs (6) Fletcher $15, A Davis $6, Brackett $9, Trotter $8, A Thomas $6, J Peterson $1, Vrabel (WW pick up afterwards, WOW)
DB (2) Bob Sanders, $6 Dawkins $4, M Brown $5
You see I loaded on the young wrs in hopes of catching a break out proformance.. I also took advantage of everyones disregard for the value of IDPs.. they score as much WRs in my leagues..

Heres my redraft team after a few trades...
QBs Bulger, Rivers
RB Rudi, Dillon, T Jones, White
WR Boldin, Stallworth, Wayne, M Jones, Kennison, R Smith, McCardell
TE L.J. Smith
K Shayne Graham
LBs Adalius Thomas, Brackett, Trotter, Morrison, Arrington, J Porter, Chowder,
DB Dawkins, Clements, Erik Coleman

These guys valued the IDP alot more but still undervalued the WR.. My only woory is a back up QB.. (Brooks is actually on WW right now).
Last edited by Kellys Heroes on Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby tag72 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:28 am

RugbyD wrote:hoarding RBs in a 10-team league is probably a waste of time, but there is definitely something to be said for creating artificial scarcity in 12+ leagues.

I dont agree with that. If you can get 3 or 4 qaulity RB's in a 10 team league you have to do it. With byes and teams using RBBC and a few teams that its just not worth having their starting RB, its more important than ever to have good starting RB depth.
tag72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mikus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:09 am

I'm in a 12-teamer and I have six RBs on my roster (Portis, Jordan, KJ, Lundy, Maroney and White). The good thing about having so much depth is at some point, another owner is going to need a RB and you can always make a deal.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby RugbyD » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:17 am

tag72 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:hoarding RBs in a 10-team league is probably a waste of time, but there is definitely something to be said for creating artificial scarcity in 12+ leagues.

I dont agree with that. If you can get 3 or 4 qaulity RB's in a 10 team league you have to do it. With byes and teams using RBBC and a few teams that its just not worth having their starting RB, its more important than ever to have good starting RB depth.

depends on how you define hoarding. getting 3 quality RBs in a 10-tm fairly easy for a number of teams to do and doesn't create artificial scarcity. taking 5 RBs in your first 9 picks in a 12-tm does.
[b]Hermes[/b]: Just such the obstinancy that brought you here, to this self-willed calamitous anchorage.

[b]Prometheus[/b]: Be sure of this: when I set my misfortune against your slavery, I would not change.
RugbyD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:54 am

I've learned from experience that drafting to trade is a big waste of time. You end up with an unbalanced bench, and owners that don't want to meet your asking price. Better to be well educated and pick up quality starters, fill out your roster, and then go after deep sleepers. Having Jlew and C Taylor on your bench to me just signals that your WRs probably will suffer.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cooner » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:26 am

the issue i see is that there are quite a few good unknown situations this year... Addai/Rhodes, Deuce/Bush, JJ/Barber, will Dunn get vultured by Norwood, will J-Lewis finally be a real RB again, etc etc.

Picking quantity gives you a better shot of getting one of the guys that busts out this year, providing round one quality at the cost of two or three mid-round picks. Yes, it may leave you with a weak #3 WR and a "WW defense Go Go Plindsey" strategy, but it also may leave you with this year's version of my last year's result- SA in the first and LJ halfway through.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk