"Loading up" on RB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Loading up" on RB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:30 am

Cooner wrote:the issue i see is that there are quite a few good unknown situations this year... Addai/Rhodes, Deuce/Bush, JJ/Barber, will Dunn get vultured by Norwood, will J-Lewis finally be a real RB again, etc etc.

Picking quantity gives you a better shot of getting one of the guys that busts out this year, providing round one quality at the cost of two or three mid-round picks. Yes, it may leave you with a weak #3 WR and a "WW defense Go Go Plindsey" strategy, but it also may leave you with this year's version of my last year's result- SA in the first and LJ halfway through.

How will Dunn get vultured by norwood? Aren't vultures usualy the big guys? Dunn may get replaced if he gets hurt, but Dunn is getting the goaline carries.

Anyway, like I said, the marouneys of the world can be had later on.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rentz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:42 am

Joeybagadonuts wrote:I've learned from experience that drafting to trade is a big waste of time. You end up with an unbalanced bench, and owners that don't want to meet your asking price. Better to be well educated and pick up quality starters, fill out your roster, and then go after deep sleepers. Having Jlew and C Taylor on your bench to me just signals that your WRs probably will suffer.

yeah i fell into that trap last year, though i admit to doing it again this year, but the 2 leagues im in have a few flex spots, so its good.

but when people see you have 3 solid rb's on your bench and only 1 good wr, they wont give you squat
rentz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby loophole21 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:31 pm

I like the idea of grabbing up the RBs. Outside of the top 3-4 QBs and the top 6-7 WRs the decline in value is quite small. If you can grab 3-4 RBs in the first five or six rounds you have a great chance at landing two excellent starters at RB. These guys can carry your team while you find consistent WRs and QBs to support your RBs.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby FatFoot » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:48 pm

I went heavy on WR, and I still ended up with too many RBs. Tiki, KJ, Jamal, Benson, White and now Lundy off the wire. I just couldn't resist, when opportunity knocked.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mak1277 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:50 pm

I like loading up on RB's, but my preference is a little bit different than what you all have been talking about. I like loading up in the mid- and late-rounds on guys with upside. This year, guys like DeAngelo Williams, Maroney, Mike Anderson, etc.

If you can end up with 2 or 3 of those guys, odds are at least one of them will pan out pretty well, positioning you well for a trade, or byes, etc.
mak1277
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PurpleHaze » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Joeybagadonuts wrote:
Cooner wrote:the issue i see is that there are quite a few good unknown situations this year... Addai/Rhodes, Deuce/Bush, JJ/Barber, will Dunn get vultured by Norwood, will J-Lewis finally be a real RB again, etc etc.

Picking quantity gives you a better shot of getting one of the guys that busts out this year, providing round one quality at the cost of two or three mid-round picks. Yes, it may leave you with a weak #3 WR and a "WW defense Go Go Plindsey" strategy, but it also may leave you with this year's version of my last year's result- SA in the first and LJ halfway through.

How will Dunn get vultured by norwood? Aren't vultures usualy the big guys? Dunn may get replaced if he gets hurt, but Dunn is getting the goaline carries.

Anyway, like I said, the marouneys of the world can be had later on.

Norwood will be the "Goalline" RB in Atlanta, according to ATL...
(He is slightly bigger than Dunn, and MUCH faster)
And will eventually be the #1 RB in Atlanta...
Can't hold back Norwoods talent!
Sig courtesy of chargersfan36!
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby benb18a » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Well Dunns TD will certainly go up this season. I didnt see anything that really impressed me about Norwood.

I think that having a good 3rd RB is a key... but past that I dont see the point in having RB2-RB3 caliber guys on your reserves the whole season. Unless youre starting Portis/Foster/Dillon etc. guys who will see the bench at some point, more than likely.
I got lucky in my recent draft to have McGahee, Chester and Ahman as my 3-5 RBs. I didnt pick them in RDs 3,4 and 8, I value picked them in 5, 8 and 13, while everybody else was too busy picking their defenses and kickers : p It was definitely an unorthodox draft; half of us were rookies.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:35 pm

i feel you can never have too many RB...but i've learned not to hoard them at the expense of my WR spots. i'm not sure if just in the last few years, or i just never wanted to be aware of it, but WR seems to be really UNDER-RATED nowadays and i make sure i get studs at that position now...especially in 2 RB/3 WR leagues...in a 2RB/2WR/FLEX league i still prefer 3 solid RB

as for hoarding RB...i love to have a lot, but i dont draft looking to trade...especially in 10 teams or less. i draft so many looking for depth becasue these guys seem to drop like flies during the season
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk