Pac-10 v SEC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Pac-10 v SEC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Sandrock » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:10 pm

Oregon didn't deserve the game last year. However, a few years back when they got snubbed for the national title game. That they deserved.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1422
Joined: 1 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Reser Stadium; lamenting the D-Line for 2011

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:21 am

Sandrock wrote:Oregon didn't deserve the game last year. However, a few years back when they got snubbed for the national title game. That they deserved.


Dont come to a place with Husker fans and start spoutting this garbage. Hindsight is 20/20. Prior to the bowl games, the season stats supported the selection.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3936
Joined: 8 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:44 am

Free Bagel wrote:That getting up for the game garbage is the worst argument I've ever seen in this forum. When teams get snubbed they get MORE up for the next game to prove everyone wrong.

This whole bias thing is utter crap. If you're good enough you'll get your bowl games and you'll get your media hype. See: USC.

Anyone that thinks Oregon got snubbed last year is just a blind, pitiful homer. I like Oregon (though I admit to absolutely hating their whiney, annoying fans) but they were nowhere near a BCS team last year. Their marquee victory was a 3-point win over a team that lost to the likes of Nevada, Tulsa, and everyone's favorite week 1 warm-up team Louisiana Tech.

Then just to prove everyone right they lost to the first mediocre out of conference team they came across in their bowl game.....just like the last time they bitched and moaned about this crap.

You don't prove everybody wrong and set yourself up for next time by losing to a crappy team out of conference just like everyone said you would. It's about damn time some whiney ass Oregon fans took some accountability.



I disagree. When teams get snubbed it effects their play greatly. You just lose the heart after you spent the whole year proving what your team was about then get put into a joke game to end the season. What were they going to prove against a crappy team. Even if they win people would disrespect them by saying "Ok st is horrible anyway, they shoulda won."

Looks like you are so much a part of that bias you actually believe it.

By the way I'm not an Oregon fan.
Cowboys 4 life
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9515
(Past Year: 79)
Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Sandrock » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:46 am

Please. The game could have gone to either side and the "season stats" supported nothing. Oregon was #2 in both Human polls, so the fact that the unreliable BCS formula (which was changed) picked you means jack.

Oh and since you guys spout nothing but taking account for your losses, remind me again what Nebraska did in that game? Yah thats right, they got dominated. While Oregon dominated the team that OWNED you in the Big 12 regular season finale. You didn't even make it to the Big 12 Championship Game. Yet, you're going to try and claim you deserved the National Title Shot? Please, even Colorado deserved that shot over Nebraska. Try again when you have an argument that you can back up.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1422
Joined: 1 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Reser Stadium; lamenting the D-Line for 2011

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Sandrock wrote:Please. The game could have gone to either side and the "season stats" supported nothing. Oregon was #2 in both Human polls, so the fact that the unreliable BCS formula (which was changed) picked you means jack.

Oh and since you guys spout nothing but taking account for your losses, remind me again what Nebraska did in that game? Yah thats right, they got dominated. While Oregon dominated the team that OWNED you in the Big 12 regular season finale. You didn't even make it to the Big 12 Championship Game. Yet, you're going to try and claim you deserved the National Title Shot? Please, even Colorado deserved that shot over Nebraska. Try again when you have an argument that you can back up.


Jessup wrote:"Now, are these the questions I was called here to answer? Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me you have something more, Lieutenant. These two men are on trial for their lives. Please tell me that their lawyer hasn't pinned their hopes to a phone bill."


*sigh* This is the last I'll say about this in this thread regardless of the response. First, sandrock lets get one thing crystal clear. Nobody, nor football team, OWNED me and YOU dont play and probably never have for the Oregon Ducks varsity football team. So dont come in here and starting acting like you have some first hand knowledge that supports that YOU or YOUR team are better than anyone else with YOUR ZERO national championships. Huge pet peave of mine, and makes your arguement seem more like a tandrum than a well thought out response.

To your points:
1) season stats support nothing. You havent been a college football fan for long have you? College football is all perception based since there is no playoff. Perception is mostly based on tangible performance when were not referring to the fans of a particular school. So people (and computer) who have to make a selection use "stats" as the predominant factor in determining the better team (tangible performance). So your claim that "season stats support nothing" is highly flawed. With this in mind. The stats showed that year that NU played tougher competition (sos), scored more points against said competition, and gave up less points against said competition (even with the CU game). My guess is that since the stats donts support UO fans' arguement, you've chosen an opinion, although flawed, that allows your plausible claim.

2) The Human Polls said UO was #2 and the computers are unrealiable. Again, I gotta guess your fairly new to college football. Not saying everyone on this site knows everything about college football, but I dont think you'll find anyone else here other than yourself that doesnt agree that the Human Polls are inherently flawed. At the end of the day we still call the national champion, the national champion, and live with it, but it doesnt mean that the voters are all knowing or even watch more games that us die-hard fans. The computer polls are only as good as the programmers. Ultimately a computer doesnt have a fan bias, but yes it is flawed also. Something tells me that if the fate of NU was actually the fate of UO, then you'd be OK with the computers and saying how bad the Human Polls are.

3) While Oregon dominated the team that OWNED you in the Big 12 regular season finale. Apparently you didnt even read my post. THIS WAS AFTER THE FACT, YOU BONEHEAD. Of course afterwards, the picture gets clearer, hence the phrase, "hindsight is 20/20". Do you not know what that means? Maybe youre trying to claim that your beloved Human pollsters used a time machine to see the final results, came back to that present time in 2001, and decided to vote UO #2. BTW, didnt UO lose to lowly Standford, and at home none the less. Cripes, UO probably shouldnt have been in the top5. Championship teams dont lose to Stanford now, or then, and especially at home. After the fact, I cant make a valid arguement that NU shouldve been in that game, but frankly, I cant make one for UO either.

4) You didn't even make it to the Big 12 Championship Game. News flash: Neither did you, nor did UO! If UO played in a Pac 10 championship game, then my hindsight maybe isnt 20/20. If I recall, UO tied for the Pac 10's best record and won the title tie-breaker rules. NU had the same conference record as Texas and CU but lost out on tie-breaker rules. The claim that UO was a conference champion and NU wasnt seems a lot more damning when the facts of where these two teams stood within there respective conferences arent provided. Anyone who is a Big12 or SEC fan can speak to the whole "conferene champion" being strictly a paper tiger half of the time.

5) You didnt bring up this point but I've heard it so many times before, so I'll respond before its brought up. Whiney UO fan: "But you guys gave up 62 points." My response: "Ya and NU still "only" lost by 26. If the score had been 35-9, this arguement would be moot. Besides isnt 62-36 the average score of Pac 10 game?"

Like I said, I wont respond to any further comments on this. But damn! Bring something worth pondering, not the typical whiney UO fan generallization that many of you have come to resemble.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3936
Joined: 8 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sandrock » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Actually you're wrong about most of your assumptions, because while I do support the Pac-10 in general, I could care less about the individual fate of UofO. I am in fact just a fan of college football, and as a fan it was my opinion that Oregon was robbed.

So please stop jumping to all this "you're biased cause you're an Oregon or Pac-10 fan bs." It makes your responses arrogant, condescending and generally hard to read. I didn't play for the Ducks but I have several friends who DID and in fact played on the team in question.

So, the fact that the BCS system was changed after that season doesn't tell you that NU lucked out and got away with something? I guess not, since you're an NU fan and therefore biased.

I actually thought that both Colorado and Oregon deserved it over NU, but because Colorado had two losses they weren't even considered. But that's a shame since they won both the Big 12 Title Game and manhandled NU in the regular season finale.

I understand you're lacking a bit in intelligence and can only try to insult me through the school I apparently support. So I leave it here and wait for your next arrogant post. Maybe you'll bring up a valid point in that one.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1422
Joined: 1 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Reser Stadium; lamenting the D-Line for 2011

Postby CC » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:27 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:That getting up for the game garbage is the worst argument I've ever seen in this forum. When teams get snubbed they get MORE up for the next game to prove everyone wrong.

This whole bias thing is utter crap. If you're good enough you'll get your bowl games and you'll get your media hype. See: USC.

Anyone that thinks Oregon got snubbed last year is just a blind, pitiful homer. I like Oregon (though I admit to absolutely hating their whiney, annoying fans) but they were nowhere near a BCS team last year. Their marquee victory was a 3-point win over a team that lost to the likes of Nevada, Tulsa, and everyone's favorite week 1 warm-up team Louisiana Tech.

Then just to prove everyone right they lost to the first mediocre out of conference team they came across in their bowl game.....just like the last time they bitched and moaned about this crap.

You don't prove everybody wrong and set yourself up for next time by losing to a crappy team out of conference just like everyone said you would. It's about damn time some whiney ass Oregon fans took some accountability.



I disagree. When teams get snubbed it effects their play greatly. You just lose the heart after you spent the whole year proving what your team was about then get put into a joke game to end the season. What were they going to prove against a crappy team. Even if they win people would disrespect them by saying "Ok st is horrible anyway, they shoulda won."

Looks like you are so much a part of that bias you actually believe it.

By the way I'm not an Oregon fan.


You obviously however, are a Pac-10 fan. If you are good enough to be in the title game and get snubbed, the only reasonable thing to do would be to play great in the next game so you will get your due as a great team (using Pac-10 examples, Oregon over Colorado and USC over Michigan) neither of those teams made the national title game but they got the benefit of the doubt as to being the 2nd best (at least) team in the country.

If your team is so weak-willed that they will just give up when things don't go their way they wouldn't have had the strength to win that title game anyways. To use that as an excuse as to why you didn't win the game is ludicrous. College football is all about heart and if you didn't have the heart to go out and play like the "great" team you are supposed to be, you aren't that great to begin with.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:09 pm

Free Bagel wrote:That getting up for the game garbage is the worst argument I've ever seen in this forum. When teams get snubbed they get MORE up for the next game to prove everyone wrong.

This whole bias thing is utter crap. If you're good enough you'll get your bowl games and you'll get your media hype. See: USC.

Anyone that thinks Oregon got snubbed last year is just a blind, pitiful homer. I like Oregon (though I admit to absolutely hating their whiney, annoying fans) but they were nowhere near a BCS team last year. Their marquee victory was a 3-point win over a team that lost to the likes of Nevada, Tulsa, and everyone's favorite week 1 warm-up team Louisiana Tech.

Then just to prove everyone right they lost to the first mediocre out of conference team they came across in their bowl game.....just like the last time they bitched and moaned about this crap.

You don't prove everybody wrong and set yourself up for next time by losing to a crappy team out of conference just like everyone said you would. It's about damn time some whiney ass Oregon fans took some accountability.


You really need to quit with the whiney ass Oregon fans crap. It makes you sound like and arrogent jerk. Dont generalize all of us, if you have a problem with individuals here call them out. In fact the poster you were arguing with said himself hw isnt even an Oregon fan. Stick to the facts and your opinions there is no reason to insult people. Vary classless. :-t
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Postby slowride » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:21 pm

IMO it's a joke to compare the Pac 10 to the SEC. It's really a shame that the BCS doesn't incorporate this into their calculations. Well it's a shame the BCS exists at all, but thats another discussion.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 570
Joined: 26 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Texas

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:12 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:That getting up for the game garbage is the worst argument I've ever seen in this forum. When teams get snubbed they get MORE up for the next game to prove everyone wrong.

This whole bias thing is utter crap. If you're good enough you'll get your bowl games and you'll get your media hype. See: USC.

Anyone that thinks Oregon got snubbed last year is just a blind, pitiful homer. I like Oregon (though I admit to absolutely hating their whiney, annoying fans) but they were nowhere near a BCS team last year. Their marquee victory was a 3-point win over a team that lost to the likes of Nevada, Tulsa, and everyone's favorite week 1 warm-up team Louisiana Tech.

Then just to prove everyone right they lost to the first mediocre out of conference team they came across in their bowl game.....just like the last time they bitched and moaned about this crap.

You don't prove everybody wrong and set yourself up for next time by losing to a crappy team out of conference just like everyone said you would. It's about damn time some whiney ass Oregon fans took some accountability.



I disagree. When teams get snubbed it effects their play greatly. You just lose the heart after you spent the whole year proving what your team was about then get put into a joke game to end the season. What were they going to prove against a crappy team. Even if they win people would disrespect them by saying "Ok st is horrible anyway, they shoulda won."

Looks like you are so much a part of that bias you actually believe it.

By the way I'm not an Oregon fan.


What a crock. If anything getting "snubbed" makes you want to win more to prove everyone else wrong. USC got "snubbed" and beat up on a very good Michigan team. Auburn got "snubbed" (worse even since they actually had a tough schedule compared to Oregon's patsy-fest) and beat a very good Virginia Tech team. Maybe that's why Auburn and USC are top contenders yet again while Oregon is still whining over this made up bias that people lacking in self confidence have exaggerated ten-fold (whenever we don't get what we want, it can't be OUR fault, it's obviously someone else because the whole world is out to get poor little us). So basically what you're saying is those teams went out and won, but Oregon decided to fold their arms and cry about it instead?

Not only should getting "snubbed" have made them want to win MORE (everybody on the planet wants to prove everyone wrong when they feel disrespected, hence the lunacy behind your claim), but they shouldn't have even had to get "up" for those games. Those other "snub" teams could've gotten through those games that Oregon played in on one leg.

I dunno, maybe I'm just crazy in thinking that if someone wants us to think they're good they should SHOW US rather than TELL US. And no, beating up on a handful of schools that lost to D2 programs and losing to the only decent teams you face all year certainly doesn't qualify as showing us anything.

Metroid wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:That getting up for the game garbage is the worst argument I've ever seen in this forum. When teams get snubbed they get MORE up for the next game to prove everyone wrong.

This whole bias thing is utter crap. If you're good enough you'll get your bowl games and you'll get your media hype. See: USC.

Anyone that thinks Oregon got snubbed last year is just a blind, pitiful homer. I like Oregon (though I admit to absolutely hating their whiney, annoying fans) but they were nowhere near a BCS team last year. Their marquee victory was a 3-point win over a team that lost to the likes of Nevada, Tulsa, and everyone's favorite week 1 warm-up team Louisiana Tech.

Then just to prove everyone right they lost to the first mediocre out of conference team they came across in their bowl game.....just like the last time they bitched and moaned about this crap.

You don't prove everybody wrong and set yourself up for next time by losing to a crappy team out of conference just like everyone said you would. It's about damn time some whiney ass Oregon fans took some accountability.


You really need to quit with the whiney ass Oregon fans crap. It makes you sound like and arrogent jerk. Dont generalize all of us, if you have a problem with individuals here call them out. In fact the poster you were arguing with said himself hw isnt even an Oregon fan. Stick to the facts and your opinions there is no reason to insult people. Vary classless. :-t


I don't really feel the need to mention individual names when it applies to every single one I've ever heard say a word or type a post. I've met a lot (I go out west fairly often) and not a one that's humble in any way, shape, or form. It's always "oh we got screwed" this, and "man we got snubbed" that. I'm all for being loyal to your team, but it gets to a point where you should realize that maybe it's possible that you could be wearing blinders when every single person that's not a huge Pac-10 homer disagrees with you and your team then follows it up by proving every one of them right and losing to the first mediocre out of conference team you play. Even the Husker guys' matching sigs are less annoying than that ;).

I'm utterly sure that I'm coming off as overly harsh here, but I don't really care in this instance. If it was once, ok. Twice, eh. But it's duck fan after duck fan year after year crying and moaning about how everything bad is somebody else's fault. It's got to be one of my biggest pet peeves.

I don't have a bias against Oregon (heck, like I've said several times I like the TEAM), I have a bias against people that just try and blame everything on everyone else.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:28 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact