frank Gore contender or pretender????? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

frank Gore contender or pretender?????

Moderator: Football Moderators

frank Gore contender or pretender?????

Postby GameDay_Zombies » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:56 pm

Gore has risen on most cheet sheets to a top 20 Rb and supposedly has lots of upside. Is this just overatted hype or could he be a consitant starter for fantasy teams this year? Norv Turner is the best thing going for Gore IMO but can his team help him enough?
GameDay_Zombies
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:41 pm

i consider him a solid #3 and a fair to weak #2. but we shall see. he has a history of injuries that makes me a bit weary. if you draft him, don't let maurice hicks get off your radar. he should be on the WW, but something you need to keep your eye on.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:43 pm

I think he's overhyped, but even so could manage to put up a good season...

He's a decent backfield receiver and a relatively strong runner, he's going to get touches in SF since they aren't relying on Alex Smith, and Norv Turner builds off of the run to throw the deep ball. So expect Gore to see 300 carries or near there healthy.

W/ those kind of carries, even a guy averaging less than 4 yards a carry can get over 1000, and w/ another 200-300 receiving and the TD's he'll score (probably not many w/ SF, but say 7-8), he'll be a good No. 2 back.

The reason he should be ranked lower is health. He had a ton of knee problems in college, and knee problems slow you down and make you vulnerable to reinjury.
freeling_prideful
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:51 pm

I think he's a great #3 RB but would feel a little shaky going into the season with him as #2 RB. He could turn out to be the next Kevan Barlow (though I think he's better than Barlow) plus his injury history makes him a risk.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DevilDriver » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:02 pm

He's overrated in fantasy because it seems people are forgetting just how bad his supporting cast is.
DevilDriver
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MrTwo94 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:03 pm

I like Gore. Don't have him in many leagues (wanted him in the 5th, didn't always make it there). I wouldn't want him as my only real option at RB2, but if you've got a capable backup that you can use to play the matchups (maybe a T.Jones) then you should be fine and have good trade bait if he pans out. This is a great article on him (written on 6/6/05).

http://fftoday.com/articles/waldman/05_gc_gore.htm
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:46 pm

If Gore is your best option as a #2 then your season hinges on how well the revamped O-line and Gores legs will perform.

He could have a very solid year. He did finish real strong last season. He could stay healthy and be a stud this season. But so could Fred Taylor.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby eagles21 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:50 pm

I think, he's a good backup. His team sucks, which could bring down his value, but with Barlow out, he's the starter. I think he'll put up decent numbers though.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:11 pm

I'm a pretty big Gore supporter, but I agree with most people here. He's a very good #3 RB with #2 upside. Is supporting cast is not GREAT, but they have improved I believe. Larry Allen was a nice pickup on the o-line. And I believe Alex Smith will be improved.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:16 pm

Just curious. If you could keep either Gore or Dominic Rhodes, which would you prefer? I can keep only one as a retention pick.

Addai's presence makes me nervous and at least Gore has his job outright.

Thanks.
10 Team Yahoo Non-Keeper League
QB: *McNabb, Delhomme
RB: *L. Johnson, * F. Gore, K. Jones, J. Addai, R. Bush, B. Jacobs
WR: *M. Harrison, *A. Boldin, B. Edwards, T. Williamson, D. Gabriel, M. Furrey
TE: * K. Winslow
K: *A. Vinateri
D: *Pittsburgh
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator