Wk1 Game Discussion: Miami at Pittsburgh - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Wk1 Game Discussion: Miami at Pittsburgh

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:25 am

mattb47 wrote:
spodog wrote:
moochman wrote:
spodog wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
1st game of the season decided by refs.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO A PHOTO OR A VIDCAP SHOWING HEATH MILLER'S FOOT OUT OF BOUNDS?

Why? It was clearly out of bounds with the ball around the 1. Wasn't something obvious at game speed, but were I the coach I would have immediately looked at a replay with flag in hand. The refs didn't blow the call, Saban did. That's why they have replay: you cannot make the right call all the time.

I agree. I just want to send the photo to my buddy who is insisting it was a clean and true TD and the refs got it right.

You can't blame this one on the refs. The commentators said, and were actually right, that Saban could definitely have gotten the referee's attention. His attempt to throw the challenge flag was half hearted and if he had really wanted the play to have stopped he could have both done so earlier and done more to do it.

It was clearly out of bounds, but it took the Dolphins an awfully long time to decide to challenge it, and the Steelers got the play off because of a half-hearted attempt to challenge it.

Indeed. It didn't look like he wanted to throw it. He had PLENTY of time to throw the flag. I was sitting there yelling at the TV. SNAP THE BALL SNAP THE BALL!!! But he waited until the very last second, so either it's his fault for waiting and then the sissy throw and point. Or his team upstairs took too long to tell him to throw it.

Either way, it's a moot point. Game over, PITTSBURGH WON. Get over it people. Don't blame the refs, because they blew calls for the Steelers too. coughcoughpassinterferencecough
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby falcotg4 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:15 pm

The Dolphins need Wormser to adapt the challenge flag to Saban's limp-wristed throwing style.
falcotg4
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Lung » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:37 pm

falcotg4 wrote:The Dolphins need Wormser to adapt the challenge flag to Saban's limp-wristed throwing style.

Awesome Revenge of the Nerds reference! ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Defintely Sabans fault.

As a Miller owner i was sure he was gonna get caught. When they counted it as a TD i ran around the house several times screaming like a lunatic and then realized that the dolphins might challenge. I cant believe how LONG it took for the steelers to snap the ball. I thought i was gonna have a heart attack.

Now thats what fantasy football is all about! :-b
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:27 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Defintely Sabans fault.

As a Miller owner i was sure he was gonna get caught. When they counted it as a TD i ran around the house several times screaming like a lunatic and then realized that the dolphins might challenge. I cant believe how LONG it took for the steelers to snap the ball. I thought i was gonna have a heart attack.

Good thing I wasn't playing you. I'd have to buy a new TV. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:29 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Defintely Sabans fault.

Good thing I wasn't playing you. I'd have to buy a new TV. :-b

yeah the person that was playing me had to be pretty pissed off if he was watching that. I had Chambers as well in that league so it wasnt all roses for me last night. :-b
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kelostd » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 pm

yeah the person that was playing me had to be pretty pissed off if he was watching that. I had Chambers as well in that league so it wasnt all roses for me last night. silly.gif

Yeah, I own both Culpepper and Chambers....Can't help but to think I missed 4 td's last night
kelostd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 15)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:01 pm

The Lung wrote:
falcotg4 wrote:The Dolphins need Wormser to adapt the challenge flag to Saban's limp-wristed throwing style.

Awesome Revenge of the Nerds reference! ;-D

I agree..That was freakin' hilarious. :-b :-D ;-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:18 pm

mysticphysh wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Bottom line is the ref should be aware of everything happening on the field. Its like not seeing a face mask penalty when it happens right in front of you because you are looking the other way. Simply unacceptable in my opinion.

The only way to challenge a play is to throw out the flag which Saban did. Sure he could have yelled and screamed which I feel he should have but at the same time all the ref has to do is double check the field real quick before the snap. And what about the back judge or refs on the other side of the field. Someone should have seen it.

I didnt see the face mask. When was it?

The refs job is to watch the play, simple as that. If he wanted to challenge, you should have gotten the ref's attention not throw the flag behind his back. ALL the refs are supposed to be watching is the play not the coach short arming the red flag and then point at it.

MAybe you should read a bit more about what their job entails. It is much deeper than simply watching plays. They have to recognize when timeouts are called, flags are thrown, # of players on the field. There is more than 1 ref on the field. IF a coach wants to challenge a play he is to throw out the red flag. There is nothing in the rules that suggest he must run out on the field like a madman waving his hands. I do however agree he should have done more.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:24 pm

pvt1863 wrote:
Bottom line is the ref should be aware of everything happening on the field. Its like not seeing a face mask penalty when it happens right in front of you because you are looking the other way. Simply unacceptable in my opinion.

The only way to challenge a play is to throw out the flag which Saban did. Sure he could have yelled and screamed which I feel he should have but at the same time all the ref has to do is double check the field real quick before the snap. And what about the back judge or refs on the other side of the field. Someone should have seen it.

How is the ref supposed to scan the field right before the snap if he never knows for sure when the snap is coming? How many teams routinely inform the referees of the snap count before they line up for the play? A ref should not be looking anywhere other than at the players on the field when the players are set and ready to snap the ball.

The bottom line is that it is the coach's job to make sure the flag is seen by the refs. It is the same way with a timeout. If you are going to throw the flag just seconds before the ball is snapped, you had better make sure you do it in a manner that will be seen. Underhanding it five yards out onto the field thirty yards behind the play and doing so in a way that it never travels above shoulder height does not qualify as such.

On a somewhat related note, this only adds to my belief that touchdowns should be reviewable after the extra point.

Easy. Just look up for a second and scan the field. We are talking 1 second. Plus the guy he threw the flag by didn't even have the best vantage point. The ref on the other side or back judge should have seen it.

If that is the refs job then something needs to be changed so they can hear if someone wants to challenge maybe an ear piece. We clearly saw the flag before the snap. There is no doubt there. I already sad he should have done something to get the refs attention. The Fins should have gotten the challenge either way because this type of thing should not happen. Hopefully something changes in the near future to fix the problem.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting