Wk1 Game Discussion: Miami at Pittsburgh - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Wk1 Game Discussion: Miami at Pittsburgh

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
pvt1863 wrote:
Bottom line is the ref should be aware of everything happening on the field. Its like not seeing a face mask penalty when it happens right in front of you because you are looking the other way. Simply unacceptable in my opinion.

The only way to challenge a play is to throw out the flag which Saban did. Sure he could have yelled and screamed which I feel he should have but at the same time all the ref has to do is double check the field real quick before the snap. And what about the back judge or refs on the other side of the field. Someone should have seen it.

How is the ref supposed to scan the field right before the snap if he never knows for sure when the snap is coming? How many teams routinely inform the referees of the snap count before they line up for the play? A ref should not be looking anywhere other than at the players on the field when the players are set and ready to snap the ball.

The bottom line is that it is the coach's job to make sure the flag is seen by the refs. It is the same way with a timeout. If you are going to throw the flag just seconds before the ball is snapped, you had better make sure you do it in a manner that will be seen. Underhanding it five yards out onto the field thirty yards behind the play and doing so in a way that it never travels above shoulder height does not qualify as such.

On a somewhat related note, this only adds to my belief that touchdowns should be reviewable after the extra point.

Easy. Just look up for a second and scan the field. We are talking 1 second. Plus the guy he threw the flag by didn't even have the best vantage point. The ref on the other side or back judge should have seen it.

If that is the refs job then something needs to be changed so they can hear if someone wants to challenge maybe an ear piece. We clearly saw the flag before the snap. There is no doubt there. I already sad he should have done something to get the refs attention. The Fins should have gotten the challenge either way because this type of thing should not happen. Hopefully something changes in the near future to fix the problem.

Did you even watch the play??? He threw it out there just moments before the ball was snapped, for all we knew they scanned the field several times and were then just watching the play which was their job. If you're going to throw the challenge flag out that late, you better make sure that they know you want to challenge it. I think at that stage, it's no longer the refs responsibility to be looking all over the place like that.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
pvt1863 wrote:
Bottom line is the ref should be aware of everything happening on the field. Its like not seeing a face mask penalty when it happens right in front of you because you are looking the other way. Simply unacceptable in my opinion.

The only way to challenge a play is to throw out the flag which Saban did. Sure he could have yelled and screamed which I feel he should have but at the same time all the ref has to do is double check the field real quick before the snap. And what about the back judge or refs on the other side of the field. Someone should have seen it.

How is the ref supposed to scan the field right before the snap if he never knows for sure when the snap is coming? How many teams routinely inform the referees of the snap count before they line up for the play? A ref should not be looking anywhere other than at the players on the field when the players are set and ready to snap the ball.

The bottom line is that it is the coach's job to make sure the flag is seen by the refs. It is the same way with a timeout. If you are going to throw the flag just seconds before the ball is snapped, you had better make sure you do it in a manner that will be seen. Underhanding it five yards out onto the field thirty yards behind the play and doing so in a way that it never travels above shoulder height does not qualify as such.

On a somewhat related note, this only adds to my belief that touchdowns should be reviewable after the extra point.

Easy. Just look up for a second and scan the field. We are talking 1 second. Plus the guy he threw the flag by didn't even have the best vantage point. The ref on the other side or back judge should have seen it.

If that is the refs job then something needs to be changed so they can hear if someone wants to challenge maybe an ear piece. We clearly saw the flag before the snap. There is no doubt there. I already sad he should have done something to get the refs attention. The Fins should have gotten the challenge either way because this type of thing should not happen. Hopefully something changes in the near future to fix the problem.

Did you even watch the play??? He threw it out there just moments before the ball was snapped, for all we knew they scanned the field several times and were then just watching the play which was their job. If you're going to throw the challenge flag out that late, you better make sure that they know you want to challenge it. I think at that stage, it's no longer the refs responsibility to be looking all over the place like that.

Of coarse I watched it. I also saw the split screen and it was several seconds before the snap. Don't you think one of the refs should be paying attention to that part of the game. Maybe the one in the booth above who doesn't have to watch the play?

I already said Saban should have done more. But he didn't. Instead he threw the flag out just like he is supposed to when challenging a play. I've seen a number of flags thrown out late and all of them get the challenge. The refs missed it this time which is part of their job. Momentum changed. And the rest is history.

At the same time: "I didn't realize that no one would see me throw the flag at that time," Saban said. "I promise you that I do have the speed and athleticism to get to them, so I have nobody to blame except me. But that's not why we won or lost the game."

I still think the refs should have seen it but if Saban blames hiself then I got to go with that.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 pm

Wait....you're saying the no-challenge changed the momentum of the game??? That's just silly. The momentum had already changed when the fins let a TE have an 87 yd reception, that's just ridiculous. A few seconds before a snap is when the refs are paying attention to the play that is about to happen.....you can't fault them for knowing that the snap is coming soon and to be paying attention to that. C'mon now....seriously.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:52 pm

It's not like it would have changed anything anyway. 87 yard TD or 86 yarder to the 1 yard line where the Steelers score next play.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:11 pm

SniperShot wrote:It's not like it would have changed anything anyway. 87 yard TD or 86 yarder to the 1 yard line where the Steelers score next play.

amen :^
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:14 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote: Don't you think one of the refs should be paying attention to that part of the game.

ok ok...OK! You're right! The ref should have called it, but he didn't ok?? The truth is, the ref has Heath Miller on his fantasy team. Come on! That's 6 fantasy points plus the yardage! :-L
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:36 pm

the momentum shift wasnt the heath miller play....it was the drive before that one when the steelers were backed up to their endzone on 3rd and 16 and the miami cornerback got flagged for contact at the line. that first down resulted into a long drive and a TD and put pitt in control. miami killed themselves...
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:01 am

SniperShot wrote:It's not like it would have changed anything anyway. 87 yard TD or 86 yarder to the 1 yard line where the Steelers score next play.

As much as I think the Stillers would have scored anyway, there is no guarantee. It's not as if Batch was incapable of a botched goalline play, eh? You never know.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:43 am

moochman wrote:

As much as I think the Stillers would have scored anyway, there is no guarantee. It's not as if Batch was incapable of a botched goalline play, eh? You never know.

Exactly. Even from the 2 it is not 100% you score a TD. Just see the last time Pitt was on the 2 they fumbled.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:47 am

mattb47 wrote:Wait....you're saying the no-challenge changed the momentum of the game??? That's just silly. The momentum had already changed when the fins let a TE have an 87 yd reception, that's just ridiculous. A few seconds before a snap is when the refs are paying attention to the play that is about to happen.....you can't fault them for knowing that the snap is coming soon and to be paying attention to that. C'mon now....seriously.

No I'm saying giving them a free TD instead of having to fight from the 2 with no true goal line back did. And it was an 85 1/2 yard reception not 87.

There is a ref up in the booth you know. All he has to do is call down to the field. What was he doing taking a leak?
Cowboys 4 life

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting