Why do so many people say to "handcuff your stud RB" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why do so many people say to "handcuff your stud RB"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:27 pm

houstonoilers wrote:I used my first round draft pick on Alexander and picked up Morris in the last round. My thinking was, I invested alot into this picked and if something were to happen to him then I would at least have a starting rb. I also think its the team and situation like before mentioned. Turner and Morris are the two top backups in the league if you ask me......because they can produce when the STAR is out. Bennett, the backup for LJ isnt worthy of a handcuff to me.

I would add Norwood to this list.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:28 pm

skinsfan wrote:You want those high picks to be a solid and secure as possible. If this means drafting a reinforcement just in case of injury, it's worthwhile (as long as you aren't neglecting team needs like a solid bye-week RB, or a TE, etc).

Granted, I didn't handcuff Alexander but that's because he has yet to show any signs of brittleness (unlike Holmes last year with the hip). Instead, my other two RB (after Alexander and Parker) are Fragile Freddy and Mike Bell.

beware the curse!!!!!!!!!!!!
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Challie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:57 pm

In my opinion, the only backups worth grabbing are guys that have a shot at getting 20-30 carries a game if the RB1 goes down. For instance, Morris (SEA), Turner (SD) & Jacobs (NYG) all look like they'd be plugged in and worked to death and produce nice numbers.

The ones I avoid is where even if the main guy went down, there's no 20-30 carry p/g replacement: Betts/Duckett (WAS), Henry/White (TEN), Morency/Dayne/Lundy (HOU) anybody in the NYJ backfield, etc.

And taking the backup in a non-productive offense just seems silly beyond that (BUF, GB, SF) to waste a roster spot rooting for an injury in a sitation that's not great to begin with.

I think there's only 3-5 true backup RBs worth taking any kind of flyer on. That's not including guys in 2-man RBBC situations (Bush/Deuce, Jones/Benson, etc.)

I'd sooner make sneaky goal-line vulture plays, possible breakthrough WRs, looking a week ahead for DEFs with great matchups and backup/handcuffed QBs like Leinart, Griese, Holcomb if you're in a deep league.

That's my two cents. Good luck on Sunday/Monday.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crippler » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Popcynical wrote:Larry Johnson.

Never has there been such a short, 100% complete answer. That says it all.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby saundman2000 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:01 pm

I think it's important to differentiate between DRAFTING a handcuff and doing a WW PICKUP for the handcuff.

We are kind of past the drafting window, but my point is that if you can get a handcuff for your stud on the WW, what is it costing you?
On the other hand, you should weigh the costs of drafting a handcuff carefully.

Another thing to point out is that drafting multiple parts of a RBBC is not really the same as picking up a handcuff.

RBBC backs are going to be gone after the draft. True handcuffs (aside from the promising rookies) are mostly going to be free agents.

Ladell Betts seems like a good handcuff right now. He is on the WW in both my leagues.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:54 pm

I think the ability of individual RBs is vastly overrated by most fans. With few exceptions, take any "stud RB" out there, replace him with a competent backup and they will be very successful. So much goes into having a successful running game. Cases in point:

1. Denver for the past decade
2. Rhodes when Edge got hurt
3. Holmes / Larry Johnson
4. Faulk / whoever his backups were when he was hurt
5. LT's backup when he went down

The list goes on and on.

Which is why:
1. If either Rhodes/Addai emerge the winner will be a stud
2. Edge will be a big disappointment
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:24 pm

If you have Tomlinson, I think it is downright stupid to not have Michael Turner on your roster. If you ask me to explain why, well you're stupid.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:31 pm

Kensat30 wrote:If you have Tomlinson, I think it is downright stupid to not have Michael Turner on your roster. If you ask me to explain why, well you're stupid.

finally some common sense.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jagator73 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:49 pm

Handcuffing is for people who, unlike myself, have plenty of roster spots. Every league i'm in has a pretty tight commish as far as the bench goes.
Jagator73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:54 pm

Jagator73 wrote:Handcuffing is for people who, unlike myself, have plenty of roster spots. Every league i'm in has a pretty tight commish as far as the bench goes.

well of course.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk