Why do so many people say to "handcuff your stud RB" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why do so many people say to "handcuff your stud RB"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:03 pm

9er Fan wrote:I think the ability of individual RBs is vastly overrated by most fans. With few exceptions, take any "stud RB" out there, replace him with a competent backup and they will be very successful. So much goes into having a successful running game. Cases in point:

1. Denver for the past decade
2. Rhodes when Edge got hurt
3. Holmes / Larry Johnson
4. Faulk / whoever his backups were when he was hurt
5. LT's backup when he went down

The list goes on and on.

Which is why:
1. If either Rhodes/Addai emerge the winner will be a stud
2. Edge will be a big disappointment

I think you're completely off base here. It matters greatly with some systems, but a lot of it has to do with RB talent as well. Turner is good but will he perform week in and week out like LT if he was the starter there? I don't think so. Holmes and LJ are both very very talented RBs, Rhodes wasn't even close to as good as Edge when he played for him. And Faulk's backup's were never close to him either when they played, with the exception of Steven Jackson.....who is also a talented RB.

Very talented RBs like LT, LJ, and Edge will perform wherever they are. It may not be as good as it would have been with a better offensive line or a better FB, but that kinda follows logic. It doesn't mean however that talent doesn't matter as much as situation, talent matters very greatly.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:18 pm

mattb47 wrote:
9er Fan wrote:I think the ability of individual RBs is vastly overrated by most fans. With few exceptions, take any "stud RB" out there, replace him with a competent backup and they will be very successful. So much goes into having a successful running game. Cases in point:

The list goes on and on.

Which is why:

I think you're completely off base here. It matters greatly with some systems, but a lot of it has to do with RB talent as well. Turner is good but will he perform week in and week out like LT if he was the starter there? I don't think so. Holmes and LJ are both very very talented RBs, Rhodes wasn't even close to as good as Edge when he played for him. And Faulk's backup's were never close to him either when they played, with the exception of Steven Jackson.....who is also a talented RB.

Very talented RBs like LT, LJ, and Edge will perform wherever they are. It may not be as good as it would have been with a better offensive line or a better FB, but that kinda follows logic. It doesn't mean however that talent doesn't matter as much as situation, talent matters very greatly.

dominic rhodes had better numbers than edge the year he filled in.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:21 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

The list goes on and on.

Which is why:

dominic rhodes had better numbers than edge the year he filled in.

Oh, you mean when Edge got hurt? I'm sorry....but I don't really look at that as being much proof. Especially since that was in 2001, and if you look at his output recently it's been very mediocre. There can be no argument made that Rhodes would have done as well as Edge has been doing in this offense, he's just significantly less talented RB.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:10 pm

I stand by my prediction; the Colts RBs will come much closer to matching what the Colts RBs did last year, than Edge will come in AZ matching the numbers he put up with the Colts last year.

If you took a mediocre starting RB from last year and made him the #1 guy in Denver or KC, he'd be a top-10 performer easy.

I'm not saying RB ability makes NO difference however, I'm just saying it's vastly overrated. If Emmit Smith was a Buc, would he be in the Hall of Fame? Maybe so, but it's at least arguable. If LT sat out the year and Turner started in his place, I believe he would easily perform as a top-10 RB, though likely not top-3.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk