Fish gonna love Ronnie Brown at the goal line - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fish gonna love Ronnie Brown at the goal line

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Crippler » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:46 pm

TDs looked good, but those 2.0 yards per carry looked awful. At one point he was 8 carries for 9 yards.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:50 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:While his statline is fairly unimpressive he ran great last night. I was surprised at how well he finishes off runs. He really worked for every yard he got last night. The pass blocking looked good last night for the phins but the run blocking looked horrible. Thats what im more worried about.

he can run as great as he wants, but if that oline doesnt perform the guy is a bust.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:07 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:While his statline is fairly unimpressive he ran great last night. I was surprised at how well he finishes off runs. He really worked for every yard he got last night. The pass blocking looked good last night for the phins but the run blocking looked horrible. Thats what im more worried about.

he can run as great as he wants, but if that oline doesnt perform the guy is a bust.

like i said....

might want to read the last 2 sentences in my post.... ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I thought Ronnie ran well for what the defense gave him. I don't think he is going to get that many chances at the goalline in the average Dolphin game, but with his upcoming schedule he looks very promising.

The real question for me is if he can keep his ability 6 or 7 weeks from now after taking a major pounding.

I really don't think Pitt pounded him tonight. Most of the time they seemed to drag him down.
I like the way he ran tonight in the sense that he ran hard. He got an extra yard or 2 when a lot of guys would have went down. I would have like him to run up field a little more and hit the hole hard instead of dancing on every play. Maybe there was no hole so dancing was his last resort.

That's his toughest game of the year. Glad it's out of the way early. He's got one of the best rushing schedules the rest of the way. I just can't wait until he scores twice and gains 120 combined yards.

You missed my point. Against teams that the Dolphin's are better matched up against, Ronnie is going to be seeing the ball a ton. How many weeks in a row can he take 20-25 hits a game. I don't really see Ronnie as the type of RB who goes out of his way to avoid contact..
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:30 pm

moochman wrote:I think Brown could be a beast this year. What I saw was a back who's running got stronger as the game wore on. He made a lot of powerful runs that few Ds would have stopped. Unfortunately for him the Stillers are one of those Ds. The other great thing I saw was Culpepper throwing late INTs when the game was still there to be won. It wouldn't suprise me to see Saban respond by handing the ball to Ronnie instead of C-Pep.

Stronger and stronger as the game went on... yet he finished with only 15 rushes. He was getting beat up out there so it appeared he had a long day of work. But he touched the ball less than 20 times..
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:32 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

like i said....

might want to read the last 2 sentences in my post.... ;-)

ah yes, i was getting a little tired of people trying to sell me on your origianal sentence, so i just stopped reading after that point.

my bad. :*)
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ampant » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:55 pm

What would concern me is I were a Ronnie owner was the poor play of the MIA secondary. It looked like they had some problems back there. It's hard to run a heavy ground-game when you are falling behind.

Offensively for MIA, itf CPep and Chambers can't get some rhythm going, and if CPep keeps throwing more INTs than TDs, they will find themselves falling behind pretty quickly, and Ronnie will see more stacked lines, and/or fewer calls.

We could see Joey H coming back in with a few more performances like that.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby ampant » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:58 pm

What was funny listening to the broadcast last night was when Boomer? started talking about CPep being a Pro-Bowler this year. . . . right before he threw the two picks.

I hate commentators.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:39 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
moochman wrote:I think Brown could be a beast this year. What I saw was a back who's running got stronger as the game wore on. He made a lot of powerful runs that few Ds would have stopped. Unfortunately for him the Stillers are one of those Ds. The other great thing I saw was Culpepper throwing late INTs when the game was still there to be won. It wouldn't suprise me to see Saban respond by handing the ball to Ronnie instead of C-Pep.

Stronger and stronger as the game went on... yet he finished with only 15 rushes. He was getting beat up out there so it appeared he had a long day of work. But he touched the ball less than 20 times..

I think that was a mistake by Saban. He should have used him more. A little strange for a control freak like Saban to go to the air as soon as he did. That said, I don't know that it would have made much diff, the D was dominant.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby socceryank » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:10 pm

It's funny reading the two opposite ends of the spectrum here: those that think he is going to bust, and those that think he will be a monster, presumably going to score 2 TD's every game. And this is based on 1 game, against one of the best D's in the league.

My humble observations:

1. Ronnie will be called upon heavily at the goal line.
2. Miami will not be playing the Pitt D every week.
3. Saban did not call on Ronnie at all in the fourth quarter because they could not move the ball on the ground, so he tried to kill the clock in the air.
4. Take away the defensive TD and the freakish 80 yard TD play by a friggin TE, and the Miami D only gave up 14 pts. With their schedule, the defense should fare well the rest of the season.
5. The performance of CPep is going to be a key in Ronnie's fantasy season.

As a Brown owner, I was disappointed but not surprised by his rushing stats, but thrilled by the fantasy points he generated. Let's face it, the Pitt D is going to make many stud backs look mediocre.
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk