Trading up to Top Tier QB's? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading up to Top Tier QB's?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading up to Top Tier QB's?

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:45 pm

which QBs do you consider worth giving up a starting position player to upgrade to? Obviously we need to know where a team stands right now, so lets say they are platooning two top 12 QB's. I run into this position every year as I am always the last player to take a QB. I took the 10th and 11th qb off the board this year in an 8 team league...that is right, someone took a backup before I got a starter.

I usually finish top 3 because I have supperior starting WR talent and RB depth. But I would like one season of not playing at least 3-4 different QB's.

I hate QB's so I generally will only consider upgrading to Palmer or Peyton Manning, Eli is a fringe case for me this year. Brady, McNabb, Hassellback are all guys I dont consider worth the upgrade. I think guys like Warner/Delhomme/Bulgar/Bledsoe/Green/Culpepper can be platooned to get close enough that you dont want to downgrade another starting position. Since I have never have had QB worth starting every week...what are others opinions.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:06 pm

Peyton and Palmer are the only two that come to mind.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby skinsfan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:13 pm

I'll nominate Tom Brady to that group, as I expect him to have a monster season and his best to date statistically. I also think the other Manning could be in that group, considering his stats a year ago.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:15 pm

skinsfan wrote:I'll nominate Tom Brady to that group, as I expect him to have a monster season and his best to date statistically. I also think the other Manning could be in that group, considering his stats a year ago.

I frowned away putting Brady in that list, without Branch his WR corps are really hurting at this point. Sure he is a GREAT QB that finds the open man, but skill players are missing in a depleted receving corp. Manning...sure, not really. Hasselbeck...perhaps, who knows without DJax.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:19 pm

Right now Brady is considered the #3 QB...so what do you have to give up to get him? That is why I dont consider him worth the upgrade because people ask way too much. Eli I think is obtainable easier and has more upside. Brady has hit the ceiling. I dont think Eli has and thus is worth the price if it is does not kill you. Most the other QBs off the board I dont feel confortable starting every week. So why the hell trade an every week starter for a not every week starter?

It seems you guys are of the same opinion as me, so I dont feel so bad. You might not wait as long as me to draft QB's though !
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:21 pm

the other part of this is usually a team with Palmer or Peyton for sure have weak surrounding casts, so a few injuries and they are desperate so you can get a deal done. Guys with Eli and Brady typically have enough depth and supporting cast they can ride through injuries.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:39 pm

Payton and Palmer are probably the only two i'd make a big deal for
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Agreed that the only worthwhile upgrades are Peyton and Carson - I was lucky enough to grab Palmer in a couple early drafts when people were still worried about his injury. And as you said, the others you mentioned are a crapshoot. I don't like Eli after his late season meltdown last year and he always gets drafted way too high so you'd have to pay too high a price for him. One guy I really like this year is Delhomme (as long as Smith is healthy that is!!!) - I think you'll see a slight improvemnt in their O-line this year and their pass protection, and Keyshawn will take some pressure off Smith and they have a solid running game with Williams backing up Foster to keep the defences honest - I think all this points to a really good season for Delhomme - not saying he's gonna put up Peyton/Palmer numbers, but he's gonna be solidly at the top of that second tier (once again, with the caveat that Smith has to be heallthy though).
Last edited by stomperrob on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:26 pm

What QBs do you have rostered right now?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:39 pm

skinsfan wrote:I'll nominate Tom Brady to that group, as I expect him to have a monster season and his best to date statistically. I also think the other Manning could be in that group, considering his stats a year ago.

Why?

He lost Givens, Branch is filing suit against the team through the players union, Reche Caldwell has an injury history and is more hype than production by far, Troy Brown is old as dirt, Chad Jackson might be his only viable WR (Watson clearly his best receiving option right now.

Combine that with a healthy Dillon and 1st rounder Maroney, who has looked solid all pre-season. What factors lead you to believe he'll top his statistically best QB year (last year)? To me all signs point to a much heavier running influence in the game plan.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk