Edge rips the Colts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Edge rips the Colts

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:29 pm

Story about how happy he was to leave town:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /609080465
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:37 pm

Also in the story, James took umbrage with Colts president Bill Polian's draft-day description of James' possible successor, Joseph Addai. Polian said the LSU rookie is "what we haven't had here in a while, in terms of taking an 8-yard run that's blocked and turning it into a 22-yard run."

"All those years," James told the newspaper, "and he's got to take a shot at me. There were a lot of other people who had things going on, and you don't hear one thing. We had the best quarterback in the league, the top receivers, and you want to complain about me not breaking a 60-, 70-yarder? I thought 'they' (the receivers) go down the field. I'm the one back there helping to protect the quarterback, the one getting those hard yards.

polian seems to be a major jag. i wouldnt say edge ripped them as much as he responded to thier completely out of line comments.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:51 pm

[sarcasm]Polian is so smart and drafts so well, I wouldn't be surprised to see Addai become rookie of the year. He should easily shatter Edge's marks of 1800+ total yards and 14 all purpose TDs from last year at a huge discount [/sarcasm]

Edge sure lost a step after 2002 BTW. In 2004 he only averaged 4.6 ypc and 9.5ypr on his way to 2000+ total yards. He did much better than that in.., oh wait that is the most effective he has ever been, even with his "lack of breakaway speed". Back to the drawing board! It's not his fault the Colt's regularly run 3 WR sets and send out the TEs to keep him in to block, the only thing Edge has really tailed off in is his production as a receiver out of the backfield. Totally ignore that he is one of the BEST RBs in the NFL at that particular facet of the game though. Way to go Polian, you the man!

I sense bad things for the Colt's as a team this year. Losing Edge is going to hurt them a lot more than people expect IMO. Manning will get his, but the overall team will not be better than they have been the past 2 or 3 years. Borderline playoff team.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby freeling_prideful » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:02 pm

Eh? The numbers are pretty set against Edge. I don't remember off the top of my head, but didn't he only have like 1 rush over 20 yards the entire season?

And none the year before? Or something like that, he basically doesn't break off long runs.

This isn't an insult to him as a runner. But he went through the ACL surgeries and didn't come back as the same guy. The rehab supposedly made him stronger b/c of how hard he had to work at it, but he wasn't a speedster anymore. So he bulked up a bit and became a bruiser, a guy who behind a great line could average 4.6.-4.8 yards a carry without big plays.

There's nothing wrong w/ saying the truth. I mean, that average came on a ton of 5 yard runs w/ some 3 and 4 yard runs mixed in. Other guys make their average on a few 20 yard and 40 yard scampers intermixed w/ a ton of 2-3 yard gains (think Brian Westbrook).
freeling_prideful
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:34 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I sense bad things for the Colt's as a team this year. Losing Edge is going to hurt them a lot more than people expect IMO. Manning will get his, but the overall team will not be better than they have been the past 2 or 3 years. Borderline playoff team.

I kind of get that feeling too, I think their descent won't be as sharp as you do but they are on the way down. Just don't see them ever getting as close as they were last season.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby ampant » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Polian said the LSU rookie is "what we haven't had here in a while, in terms of taking an 8-yard run that's blocked and turning it into a 22-yard run."

Didn't they same the same thing about Faulk when they traded him for a second round pick and Edge was coming in?

"Finally we can lose that sandbag Faulk and get a real RB." ;-)
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:31 pm

You know, I couldn't care less if he only had one rush over 20 yards last year. He STILL had 1500 yards for the 5th most in the league. The guy produces. I don't see how the colt could have let him go. Maybe just maybe Addai can turn into him, but why not have Addai learn while Edge was still there?
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby bagobonez » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:53 pm

ampant wrote:
Polian said the LSU rookie is "what we haven't had here in a while, in terms of taking an 8-yard run that's blocked and turning it into a 22-yard run."

Didn't they same the same thing about Faulk when they traded him for a second round pick and Edge was coming in?

"Finally we can lose that sandbag Faulk and get a real RB." ;-)

Yeah and then Faulk went to St. Louis and became a fantasy god. Of course I remember the years where the consensus was Faulk #1, Edge #2.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FanFootHeadBusta » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:07 pm

When the Colts wanted big plays, they threw the ball. Edge's role was not to make big plays for that team. His role was to be Mr. Consistent and that's exactly what he was. He gave them 100+ combined yards every single game. He also blocked LBs, caught the ball out of the backfield, and kept his mouth shut. All of the Colt's players admit they'll miss him...why won't the team president? My guess is a little ignorace and a little stubborness. Ignorance because he didn't realize Edge's impact on that team and stubborness beause he doesn't want to admit he may have made a mistake. I don't blame the guy for not admitting that he regrets not resigning him, but don't throw some lame excuse out there. Say it was because he wanted to much dough or keep your mouth shut.
FanFootHeadBusta
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Don't see how people can rip on Polian...the guy is the Bill Belicheck of GM's.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk