Confusing question... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Confusing question...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Confusing question...

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:20 pm

Alright I have a question about D scoring.
In my league we score D by how many offensive points scored against. Here is my question:
When a D gives up an offensive td, they are penalized for giving up 7 points, 6 for the td and 1 for the PAT. But when they give up a Deffensive td (int returned for a td) thay are not peanlized at all. My point is, why are they penalized for the extra points when offense scored the td, but not when Deffense does?

Thanks for answering.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lushcrush » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:12 pm

Too confusing ... next question?
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jebatzel » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:27 pm

my league its the same way.

yahoo league and we have return yards that count for defense points. The return yards are the yards that are on kickoffs and punts though.

good figure.

JB
jebatzel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:11 pm

Penalizing for extra points is a joke unless the Defense gets some kind of bonus for blocking or forcing an extra point miss. Does the D also get penalized for a 2 point conversion? If so, do they get credit if they intercept a two point conversion attempt--I doubt it. In the end, since the rules are equally lame to everyone playing a defense they probably are fair.
Goose
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby hawksfan896 » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:49 pm

Uhhh...my guess would be because the defense didn't give up those scores, the offense did. When you have a team D of, say, Detroit (settle down, I'm making a point), Joey Harrington wouldn't be expected to be a factor in the DEFENSE would he? But, if he throws 15 or 16 INTs, certainly some are going to be run back for TDs, through no fault of the Lion's D. Conversly, kicking teams are on the field to make a tackle, and therefore are considered defense...that's why their points given up count against your team D's points given up. I think what it comes down to is if the team on the field, be it normal defense or special teams, is on the field primarily to make tackles and stop the other team from scoring, their's are the only points that would count towards the team D score. Probably.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk