Return to Football Talk

moss is unhappy raider

Moderator: Football Moderators

moss is unhappy raider

Postby lovemychiefs » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:16 pm

surprise...mr. i play when i want to play is not happy in raider nation:

from rotoworld:
Randy Moss says Oakland is "not (his) team," he's "only playing here."

"It's crazy around here, man," he said. "I try and keep my distance." Moss, who has a chance to be released after the season due to a huge cap number, says he's disappointed the team traded Doug Gabriel and is concerned with the handling of disgruntled WR Jerry Porter.
Source: Contra Costa Times
Even though he was an enemy of mine, I had to admit that what he had accomplished was a brilliant piece of strategy. First, he punched me, then he kicked me, then he punched me again-Jack Handey
lovemychiefs
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:26 pm

This isn't a surprise to me. I know he is going to be a problem.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:34 pm

I do think that further in that interview Moss said he believes in Shell and hopes he can get this team turned around, or something to that affect.
Seeing his two best WR teammates shown the door can't make him feel to good about the help he is going to get. Perfectly understandable for Moss to spout off like this, afterall it's not like he has to wait for a blue moon to speak. :-°

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Here's the entire interview:

Moss voices displeasure with Raiders
'It's crazy around here,' the receiver tells Fox Sports in a radio interview
By Steve Corkran
CONTRA COSTA TIMES
ALAMEDA - Well, that didn't take long. The season was still more than 72 hours away from starting when Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss criticized the organization.

Moss hasn't spoken with local media since he conducted a group interview after the Raiders' exhibition game against the Minnesota Vikings on Aug. 14. His remarks Friday came in a radio interview with Fox Sports.

"It's crazy around here, man," Moss said. "It's something that we're trying to hold on to, man, and, hopefully, Coach Art (Shell) can move us in the right direction, man, so I'm just trying to stay away from all of that stuff this year, like I did last year and, hopefully, we can win some games."

Moss didn't get into specifics, so it's unclear as to the basis of his discontent. None of his remarks was critical of Shell or quarterback Aaron Brooks.

Shell said Friday afternoon that he hadn't heard the interview but that he doesn't have a problem with Moss voicing his opinion.

"One thing about this organization, everybody has a chance and opportunity to speak their mind," Shell said. "Every individual, every player. So, what he's talking about? I have no idea."

Shell said he will address the issue if he thinks it's warranted, though he added, "Most things I don't have to address."

When asked about Brooks, Moss said, "I'm just not thrilled with the way things are going on around here. I'm thrilled, I'm glad, to have Aaron Brooks as my quarterback. It's fishy around here, man, so, actually, we're walking on eggshells around here, man."

He did make it clear that he isn't pleased with the team's handling of its receiving corps.

"I'm really kind of disappointed that they let Doug Gabriel go," Moss said of a trade last Saturday that sent Gabriel to the New England Patriots.

Gabriel was the projected starter opposite Moss for the regular-season opener Monday night against the San Diego Chargers. Instead, journeyman receiver Alvis Whitted got the nod over Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry.

"This is not my team, I'm only playing here," Moss said, "so whoever they put out opposite of me, either I'll play with them or I won't play with them."

Moss said he isn't privy to the Raiders' motives behind relegating Porter to a backup role, despite Porter's leading the Raiders with 76 receptions last season.

Porter drew the ire of Shell after an offseason meeting ended with Shell's booting Porter from his office. Shell since has said that there isn't an issue between him and Porter.

"There are a lot of people that are unhappy," Shell said. "I can't be concerned with that. I have a whole football team to be concerned about. We're trying to move forward with our team and win football games. I don't think I have to talk to (Porter). About what?"

However, Porter has not practiced or played any exhibition games with the first-team offense, even after he recovered from a calf injury that he sustained the first day of training camp.

"There's a lot of funny things going on around here in this organization, and I try and keep my distance," Moss said. "Whatever's going on between Jerry Porter and the Raiders organization is between them, and I do not want to get into it, because I know what can happen if I put a little bit of my input into it. But, anyway, I'll just let them deal with it."

Moss didn't speak with local media after a postgame interview in Oakland's regular-season opener against the New England Patriots on Sept. 8, 2005. However, in an interview with ESPN on Nov. 15, he issued a tepid endorsement of then-coach Norv Turner.

He showed outward displeasure with Turner's play-calling several times throughout the season. Moss exited the field ahead of his teammates and left the locker room before Turner addressed his team after the regular-season finale against the New York Giants on Dec. 31.

Notes: Center Jake Grove (shoulder) worked with the starters once again. However, he remains doubtful for Monday's game. ... The Raiders arranged for the 144th Fighter Wing of the California Air National Guard to do a fly-over as part of pregame ceremonies Monday night and to commemorate the events of Sept. 11, 2001.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:50 pm

I'd take Moss back. Seriously.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby freeling_prideful » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:02 pm

This is incredibly funny but not at all surprising. I wouldn't hate to see Moss traded to a better offense elsewhere though...that'd be good for a mid-season boost to any team.
freeling_prideful
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Popcynical » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:27 pm

I'd say trade him to Miami, but I'm a Chambers owner :-D
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:21 pm

Shut up and play, Randy.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Smee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:05 pm

I think this is mostly Moss's reputation preceding him.

I don't think I'd be a very happy Raider either. At least he gives it to you straight.
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Smee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:08 pm

Maybe we should make a list of happy Raiders:

Aaron Brooks ("holy crap! I still have a job!")
Art Shell ("holy crap! I got this job again?!)
Robert Gallery ("I guess this is better than Iowa. Kind of.")
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk