NU vs. USC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

NU vs. USC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:37 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:We're getting the pay-per-view and having some folks over. We live pretty close to the airport so we're going to sit on the deck and watch the Air Show fly by, then head in for the game.

You guys know the Blue Angels will be at the air show this weekend, right?

I saw a little blurb about that on the news. Is it true that they are going to allow citizens to ride along in a fighter jet? I thought I heard that, but I have a hard time believing it. I would think there'd be too many liabilities involved.

The Blue Angels have taken a lot of citizens for rides. It's considered a stain on the honor of the pilot by the other pilots if they don't make the guy puke - at least that's what I've heard. Bob Stoops went up in one of their jets a while ago and blew chunks.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:53 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:We're getting the pay-per-view and having some folks over. We live pretty close to the airport so we're going to sit on the deck and watch the Air Show fly by, then head in for the game.

You guys know the Blue Angels will be at the air show this weekend, right?

I saw a little blurb about that on the news. Is it true that they are going to allow citizens to ride along in a fighter jet? I thought I heard that, but I have a hard time believing it. I would think there'd be too many liabilities involved.

The Blue Angels have taken a lot of citizens for rides. It's considered a stain on the honor of the pilot by the other pilots if they don't make the guy puke - at least that's what I've heard. Bob Stoops went up in one of their jets a while ago and blew chunks.

Typical Sooner. :-{ :-P :-b

Anyway, I thought that's what they were talking about on the lunchtime local news. Must have been something else.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:42 pm

This thread is about to go to bed forever, but this story keeps getting legs and I want to know what you guys think of this. I heard Musburger say this during the game and I didn't think much of it. Pete Carroll isn't too concerned about it, apparently, but I guess the USC brass is angry.

Do you guys think this is a big deal or is this getting blown out of proportion?

USC complains about commentary by ABC's Musburger

September 19, 2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California formally complained that ABC-TV's Brent Musburger revealed privileged information in play-by-play commentary during Saturday's game against Nebraska.

The university sent a letter to ESPN, which oversees sports programming on ABC, saying Musburger, with less than 10 minutes to play and the Trojans leading 21-10, began describing how USC quarterback John David Booty lets receivers know he has spotted a certain kind of coverage.

"John David told us that his signal when he finds one-on-one and they're coming, it's that 'hang loose,' that familiar sign you've seen surfers use," said Musburger, referring to the sign where the thumb and little finger are raised.

USC sports information director Tim Tessalone sent a formal complaint to ESPN/ABC game producer Bill Bonnell on Monday and sent a copy to the Pacific-10 conference office.

"We're supposed to be partners in this, but this is certainly going to make us think twice about trying to help them have as good a broadcast as possible," Tessalone said. "What he did was unconscionable."

Last Friday, announcers and producers met with coaches and star players as part of their game preparation. During the meeting, there was discussion about how a replay of the Ohio State-Texas broadcast showed Buckeyes quarterback Troy Smith tapping the top of his helmet to let receiver Ted Ginn Jr. know he's noticed one-on-one coverage.

Booty was asked if Southern California had a similar signal, and Booty told Musburger about his "hang loose" signal.

"We are very mindful of what we learn in pre-game meetings in terms in what is appropriate for broadcast and what is for our background. We're sorry this led to an unfortunate misunderstanding, which was never our intention," ESPN said in a statement released by spokesman Josh Krulewitz.

Musburger said in a statement late Monday that the network regretted the confusion.

Asked about Musburger's on-air revelations, USC coach Pete Carroll said with a laugh, "Just wondering what they're going to tell us next. I'm not worried about it. There's a million signals, a million ways to do it."

Is Carroll just making good on this situation or is he truly not concerned? I can't imagine they'd use the same signal in two different games.

I just don't see what the big deal about this is. It's not like Nebraska exploited this info anyway. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Yeah i saw that in the paper today and chuckled. I remembered hearing it during the game and did think it was odd that Musty would say that to a nationally televised audience.

Like you said USC wouldnt use the same signal twice so i dont think its as big of a deal as the story makes it out to be...

Just another reason why Musberger should be fired.... :-b
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Maybe USC's throwing a fit about this to draw attention off of other things... O:-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:02 pm

Did anyone see the article in todays LJS where Taylor defended Callahans play calling? I just caught the title before i was out the door this morning.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:33 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Did anyone see the article in todays LJS where Taylor defended Callahans play calling? I just caught the title before i was out the door this morning.

I skimmed through it. Pretty much just media talk. You know, saying what he's supposed to say, sticking up for his team/coach/program.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to College Football