Week 1: Bengals at Chiefs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Week 1: Bengals at Chiefs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Week 1: Bengals at Chiefs

Postby jayday » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:23 pm

Played very well today winning 23-10....Carson looked as fairly comfortable operating the no-huddle....He looked maybe a tad rusty as he missed Chad for a sure TD and a couple throws could've been picked.....He didn't throw any TDs but he completed 70% of his passes....Very efficient even without TJ in there....Rudi looked great I thought....Very strong save for a couple plays where they got him in the backfield....The O-line really sprung him on that TD run....

How great was it to see a pass rush from the front four today? I'm sure some of it was the Chiefs' O-line struggles....But still, 7 sacks is impressive....

Obviously the low note of today was Trent Green's injury.....I hope and pray he fully recovers as quickly as possible....That was a scary looking hit when his head bounced that hard....I honestly believe Geathers was not trying to injure him....He was running full speed at Trent and Trent slid at the last moment after Geathers had leaped towards him....It was unfortunate that Geathers huge mass carried him into Trent's chest (he didn't go after his head as some stated), but there was no possible chance he was going to be able to stop in time and miss him completely.....

Geathers said after the game - "You realize he's got a family and you just pray."
Last edited by jayday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:32 pm

Was it just me or did that game have no rythem to it at all?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Turnip » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:38 am

The game flow kind of matched the weather..but that said, I was never worried after the first td
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:11 am

Ok, I've watched this hit about 50 times now....Let me first say that I started praying for Trent within seconds of what happened....I hope he makes a fast and full recovery....But the hit is being villified as malicious and with intent to kill in the media as well as on here....And now I'm probably gonna get blasted for this....But that hit was not dirty....Hear me out and read my post before responding...

Video

Don't even pay attention to the announcers talking about Kennison blocking Geathers because I don't think a WR has enough strength to really affect a DE....

You can clearly see that Geathers commits to tackling and leaps at Green, then Green starts his slide....Geathers goes "limp" while in mid-air but the energy behind his 265 pound body is what caused Green to smack so hard on the turf.....He did not go helmet-to-helmet as some people on here, and some of the media falsely reported.....He went shoulderpad to chest as he basically went in to the fetal position...The hit could have been much worse, Geathers made an attempt to minimize it...And even got down on one knee and started praying once he realized Trent was seriously hurt....There was just no way he was going to be able to just stop mid-air and avoid all contact....

On top of that, what most of you didn't see that weren't watching the game and only saw highlights is that Green had just taken off and rushed twice on the previous 3-4 plays (once for a 1st down) and lunged forward because he wanted the extra yardage....On the play he was injured, Green simply slid too late....He made a choice and decided he wanted the 1st down again....He started his slide at the exact moment he crossed the 1st down marker at the Cincinnati 48 yard line....

It is extremely unfortunate that he was injured, but you can't have it both ways....Quarterbacks have a choice: Either you slide when you are completely unsurrounded by defenders, or you take the chance in traffic to get the extra yards....You can't wait until there are defenders on top of you and within tackling distance, do it when you have a 10 yard open area around you....Defenders can't have the mentality that "Oh, he's a QB...He's gonna slide" What if the next time that's Donovan McNabb and he busts a run for 20 yards.....Defenders should not have to make a judgement call in a split second.....It is up to the QBs to make it an obvious decision, and when Trent lunged forward on his previous 2 runs, the decision the 3rd time was not obvious....

Bottom line: Trent should have started his slide at the start time of the video. He waited too long.

Fire away :-/
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

My thoughts

Postby levittator31 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:20 pm

I personally agree with the statement that the injury was unintentional, and the shoulder pad does hit the chest rather than the helmet. Geathers looked a little out of control, but not because of the block, I think he slipped a little bit too, perhaps on a muddy patch of the field. It is a particularly unfortunate occurance for all involved. Green's injury was traumatic, but I am optimistic as he appears to be OK. This could've been a lot worse. It is particularly unfortunate that it happened when the bengals were playing the chiefs, as the bengals already have a little bit of a reputation problem. The league and media will probably scrutinize it more closely than if the patriots or broncos had been the team in question. This injury also brings up another important point in my mind. If this hit (Green is pretty lucky to be OK) can happen when a hit is unintentional, imagine what happens in the middle of a fierce division rivalry, when a team is actively trying to hit hard. Do more safety rules need to be put in place?
Go Bengals, NY Giants, Raptors, Blue Jays, Nationals, Wizards, Maple Leafs, Ohio State Football and Basketball, and U Dayton Basketball!
levittator31
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Cincinnati Bengals