Remembering Sept. 11th, Where were you when you found out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Remembering Sept. 11th, Where were you when you found out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:02 pm

I was sleeping when the phone rang. I let the machine pick up. It was my sister screaming, telling me to wake up and turn on the TV, the World Trade Center was just hit by a plane. I was groggy and didn't know what to make of it. I turned on the TV and soon after the 2nd plane hit.
Names and faces of people I knew who worked downtown flashed through my mind. I started to cry. I walked outside and looked in the direction of Manhattan. I could see a black plume of smoke. At this point a range of emotions and feelings passed through me; Rage, shock, confussion, concern, saddness, and fear.
These feelings remained with me for some time. Some of them still remain.
The following days were just as bad. I'd open the paper daily and read the names of those I knew; Schoolmates, teammates, customers, my sister's exboyfriend, former co-workes and employees as well as a creep I didn't like. Twelve people in all that I am aware of. The one that hit home was a schoolmate/teammate who I was close too even years after graduation. :,-(

I don't need it to be September 11th to reflect on that day's events. I think about it at least once a week.

"How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of Gore, Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your Overlords!" - Zep
Fireball Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:05 pm

i was in school- i was pretty young so i didnt really know the magnitude of what was going on.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eagles21 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:13 pm

I was in school, the principle came on and said there was an emergency involving the United States and another country. No one really knew what was going on. We got to leave school early and I finally found out what had happened when my mom picked me up. I was young though, and didn't even no what the World Trade Centers' were. Even though it didn't come to me as a horrible tragedy at the time, I can still remember that day and now that I'm older I understand what was done.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:17 pm

i was in 5th grade, standing behind my couch holding my violin, I had gotten up early to go to a before school orchestra class, I watched in almost silence, it was hard to grasp at such a ripe age what was going on, and it was especially wierd that I had just been inside the buildings one month earlier, also extreme worry for my aunt and uncle who live just outside manhattan. we got in the car and soon after the second plane hit, then I started to pretty much understand what was going on. By a few hours into school, I asked one of my teachers, when I realized they were told not to let any of us in on the info (which I understand), I knew something was terribly wrong.

we got a very big scare almost as soon as planes got back up in the air like a month later. My uncle was scheduled to fly home to new york out of somewhere on the east coast I think, and (some of you may remember this) there was a man that was caught trying to set off a bomb, by something in the heel of his shoe, luckily he was caught and taken away...my uncle was sitting next to him.

I shall never forget this terrible day and the days that followed, forever they will be in my heart, and my thoughts and prayers go out to those effected more deeply than me.

GOD BLESS THE USA!
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:03 pm

I was asleep when my Mom called to tell me a plane had hit the WTC. Turned on the TV just as the second plane hit. I remember sitting there for like an hour thinking "I'll wake up any minute, no way this is really happening." Five Years Later and it's still surreal.

I wote this on September 11, 2002, and read it at a One-Year Memorial event. Thought I'd share it with y'all.

FINDING THE WORDS

There are no words to describe the horror we felt one year ago as we watched the planes explode, and the buildings burn, and thousands die.

Or words to describe the pride we felt at hearing of the heroism of rescue personnel and the Passengers of Flight 93, who so bravely and willingly paid the ultimate price so that untold others might live.

There are simply no words to describe such things.

There is a word, however, that bears special meaning this somber day. A powerful word, so powerful that it is worth any sacrifice, so powerful that it inspires both fear and hatred among the Forces of Terror that have gathered against us. A word that pierces to the quick the meaning of being an American.

That word is Freedom.

There is another word that those who would take up arms against us would be well served to remember as they huddle in their caves and plot their evil deeds. A word that should rouse them screaming from their sleep.

That word is United.

For United We Stand.

And they Shall Fall Before Us.

We Will Never Forget. :,-(

God Bless America.
Last edited by Kilroy on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby thatonepoorkid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:16 pm

I was in the 7th grade. The teachers dident say anything about it, but everyone could tell somthing had happened. They finally told us during the last period of the day. I was in Gym, just getting finished running basketball drills, and i was standing next to kelly smith, and had 3345 steps on my step counter. I still remember everything. Ask me what colors people where wearing and i can still point out the colors and who was wearing them. Its freaky to me i can remember all that. Anyway I went home and watched the reports for alot of the day and, at 8 pm i started my math Home work. That was about it i dont think i could really understand what had just happened and what it ment.
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aldridg6in » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:24 pm

I was at work, doing an internship where I had to stuff boxes full of discount cards and card applications. I was in this little room and needed something to listen to so I flipped on the radio to John Boy & Billy. The first news I heard was about the plane that had hit the Pentagon. I found out about 20 minutes later that the towers had been hit. They had our A/V room filled with people watching the news and nobody could take their eyes off of it.

I watched TV all night long and couldn't believe what was actually happening. Definitely something I will never forget, like watching Challenger explode on live TV.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:31 pm

I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories. It's funny how they're all so simular. Most of us had just gotten to school or work. I remember inbetween classes calling my wife to tell her to watch the news. When I got home a little after 12, my wife told me that I needed to call my mom and when I did, I could tell she had been crying. :,-(

Sad sad day.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Child_of_God_08 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:25 pm

I was either in school, or going to school. One of those two.
FFC Battle Record: 0-1
Child_of_God_08
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Diablo13 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:10 am

It's funny the inferences you can make in this type of post. Those of you who were just waking up (like me) were probably on the West coast. Those just having lunch...closer East. Those who were in mid Jr High, in HS now...those in HS, graduated and in college or work.

Just an observation.
I think it is awesome how diverse the cafe is.

I was still enlisted in my second tour with the USAF when it happened. Get this, my final day of enlistment for my second tour was Sep 12, 2001. I DID serve in Bosnia in 1996 and in Turkey in 1997 in seperate operations, but got out of Afghanistan and Iraq. I consider myself lucky, but devote my energy to helping those who are helping to defend our country.

During times like this...politics and differences are best laid to rest.

I was on terminal leave and working for my fathers business while I went to college. I woke up in the morning and heard that a "small plane" hit the first tower. I went to work and heard that a "bomb" hit the pentagon. Interesting how it all turned out.

We will win this!
God bless the good guys!
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk