Remembering Sept. 11th, Where were you when you found out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Remembering Sept. 11th, Where were you when you found out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:09 am

I was in a grade 7 English class studying sentence structure and grammar when my math teacher came in the room around 9:30 and told us what had happened (at that time it was that 2 planes had crashed into the WTC). At that point, I jumped on a computer in the room and went straight to CNN.com. Our English teacher also turned on the radio in our classroom, so we heard the reports of the buildings collapsing, and the 2 other plane crashes on a Toronto news station over the duration of the class. From there, we went outside for our usual 30 minute recess while the teachers and the principal decided what to do (if anything) about the situation. It being a pretty young school (K-8), not many of the kids knew anything about what had happened and just went on playing, and if they did, they didn't know what the WTC was or the significance of the situation. We came back in from recess, and went straight to the gym for an "assembly." It was only grades 4-8 because I guess the teachers had decided not to worry the younger kids (and partly because they might not have understood). He basically outlined what had happened very briefly, and gave us the option to call home to get somebody to pick us up if we wished. Many people took advantage of this, and that left the upper school very empty the rest of the day. I stayed because both of my parents were working, and I had a tennis match in the city later in the afternoon (which I did end up winning, despite my focus not really being there). We didn't really have any classes, and the rest of the day was pretty much composed of me and a few other teachers/students listening to the radio/watching tv/reading the computer. I came home that night from the match to see my mom (an American) already watching the coverage and being incredibly upset about what she was seeing. I basically spent my entire night watching that coverage as well, and just being shocked and saddened at what I was watching. This is the only day of my entire life I can remember in this kind of detail.

It's amazing that it's been 5 years since that day, it really hasn't seemed like much time at all. Hopefully none of us will ever have to see something like this again in our lives.
mweir145
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:04 am

I was asleep until like, 9:45 AM that morning so the towers were still smoking. I woke up and asked my mother what was going on, and she told me someone flew planes into the WTC. After that I started watching the coverage, and when those things fell I was just saying, "holy friggin' crap."

I was working 12 PM to 12 AM shifts at work that week...so I had to go into work all day knowing what had happened and was listening to the radio to get any info I could on the situation. It was just a horrible thing to have happen. :,-(
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:23 am

i was a sophomore in high school, in between classes. i noticed a crowd around my history teachers tv in her room and watched with about 20 others as the whole situation unfolded. i remember going home from school and just sitting in front of the tv all night, watching the news and updates as the came in. i don't think i fell asleep until 2 that night. sad day to say the least.
"Jay is our quarterback."
Old_Style
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:46 am

Diablo13 wrote:God bless the good guys!

Says Diablo... :-b

Just joshin' ya... ;-)

God bless. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:17 am

I was driving to my college classes when I heard the news about the 1st plane. The Bush came on over the air was calling it a major accident. I then go out of my car only and when I got inside the school tons of people were crowded around TVs and said another plane hit the towers and the penegan was now smoking. I was freaked but I still had to go to class.

Then after about an hour somebody came into out class and announced they were evacuating the school because of these attacks. I then found out that both towers fell and I was in awe. I got to my car and just listened to everything on the radio. I had to work that day but mostley everyone just watching TV and I read everything on the net. It was one of the most tragic days I've ever witnessed in my life. What happened that day should never be forgetten.

Go bless those who lost their lives and those fighting for out freedom.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:43 am

I have a pretty odd story about 9/11. I was at work working on a rooftop unit ventilation system about 25 stories up. When I looked over and seen one of my guys running towards me. He was like crap dude look at the plane, (mind you we are in Michigan), it was just a small plane landing at a near by airport. He said to me looks like that thing is going to crash into this building its so low. I remember saying to him yeah you see that all the time. Although the plane was very low and coming towards us. He said man I have a bad feeling. This was roughly 930amEST. We had no clue what had happened in NYC. His cell phone rings not a minute later and his girlfriend tells him the World trade Center was struck by planes. He just dropped his cell and walked over to me, he looked like he had seen a ghost and tells me what happened. My boss called me a couple of minutes later and tells me what had happenend and wants us off the roof of the building immediately and to go home. I still to this day get the weirdiest feeling in my stomach when I think of that day, what had occured to us on that roof, and the odd feeling my co worker had. I watched a little bit of the news when I got home but couldnt take anymore. Took my son out to play, at the time he was a year and a half old. I remember thinking to myself how life would never be the same again.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Diablo13 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:38 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Diablo13 wrote:God bless the good guys!

Says Diablo... :-b

Just joshin' ya... ;-)

God bless. ;-D

Kinda like military intelligence, right ;-D :-b

My handle is actually a misnomer to who I really am. :-D
Diablo13
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:18 pm

mutantseabass wrote:I have a pretty odd story about 9/11. I was at work working on a rooftop unit ventilation system about 25 stories up. When I looked over and seen one of my guys running towards me. He was like crap dude look at the plane, (mind you we are in Michigan), it was just a small plane landing at a near by airport. He said to me looks like that thing is going to crash into this building its so low. I remember saying to him yeah you see that all the time. Although the plane was very low and coming towards us. He said man I have a bad feeling. This was roughly 930amEST. We had no clue what had happened in NYC. His cell phone rings not a minute later and his girlfriend tells him the World trade Center was struck by planes. He just dropped his cell and walked over to me, he looked like he had seen a ghost and tells me what happened. My boss called me a couple of minutes later and tells me what had happenend and wants us off the roof of the building immediately and to go home. I still to this day get the weirdiest feeling in my stomach when I think of that day, what had occured to us on that roof, and the odd feeling my co worker had. I watched a little bit of the news when I got home but couldnt take anymore. Took my son out to play, at the time he was a year and a half old. I remember thinking to myself how life would never be the same again.

That's kinda freaky man.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Popcynical » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:20 pm

I was sleeping when my Grandma burst into the room telling me to turn on the TV because Pakistanis had bombed the WTC. Not fully awake, I got up and turned the TV on and watched in surreal disbelief. I really didn't know what to think; I didn't know if I was awake. I watched the first tower smoke up and then saw the plane hit the second tower. It was quite scary to see something like that on live television.

Then I got ready for school... I remember walking to school and everything seemed blue and cold... just gloomy.

When I got to school we had a big discussion about it and watched the TV all day. I don't think we saw the towers fall live, just a replay. The school day was shortened and I left home early.

I remember it like it happened yesterday.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jzfran » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:23 pm

I was at school and we were told about "a plane crash in NY and DC". No one understood it. It made no sense because NY and DC were so far apart. The administration said nothing. Then right after lunch I had a teacher who told the truth. I hated the teacher but to tell us what really happened that terrible day helped me gain a lot of respect for her.
jzfran
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk