Lelie Or Boldin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lelie Or Boldin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheGZA » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:Does your league's rules favor receptions or yards? If it's receptions, go for Boldin, the possession reciever. If it's yards, take Lelie, who's a bigger deep threat. I think TDs should be about the same. Lelie might have a few more.

good post, i agree ;-D
TheGZA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby arrbez » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:52 pm

personally, i'd go with boldin because he's more consistant. it just drives me crazy to play a receiver like lelie who could put up 110 yds and a TD one game, and then have 12 yards the next game. from what i figure, boldin could be around the 80 yard mark each game, with the posibility of a TD. i've just lost too many close game by having 0-point WR's this year...
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Orange and Blue » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:32 pm

Where I disagree: I love Ed McCaffery, he's the definition of a tough-as-nails WR who gives 150%. But life is unfair, and when he broke his leg at such an old football age, he probably should have hung it up. He rehabbed to get back into the game he loved so much, rehabbed quickly at that, but now has re-entered the game as little more than a blocking WR. His blocking is valuable of course, but he is not, in any way shape or form, going to take numbers away from Lelie. If anything, Easy Ed's blocking will create more yards after catch for Lelie.

As for Rod Smith, he's certainly got some left in the tank, is a good blocker, and is still a dangerous WR. I was exaggerating with the retirement thing. But he's on the downswing of a great career, his best days are behind him and Lelie is the future. And all the chemistry built with Elway and Griese left the building when Jake the Snake was brought in. Jake is building his chemistry right now and his big plays have come with Lelie.

If Smith went down, Lelie would get double and triple covered and struggle. But I don't see Smith taking anything away from Lelie either right now.

Sorry if I was too hard on your boys, just my opinions. :)

The problem is this- The Broncos have the #1 TE in the history of the NFL, and Jake is also developing stellar chemistry with him. While his gains are going to be shorter, he will see a LOT of field time. They also have Portis on the field. As such, Shannahan uses a lot of 2 WR, TE, RB sets. Therefore, if McCaffrey is on the field, Lelie is not. McCaffrey will not be stealing touches from Lelie, but he WILL be stealing playing time, because he will still be in the game to block. He's effectively been reduced to a TE right now, while Sharpe has become the #2 WR. Smith runs better routes than Lelie, and has better hands, and more experience. Despite getting older, he is still a threat to shake a defender or two. As such, he will be on the field most of the time, and Lelie/McC will split time. Lelie will not benefit from McC's blocking, he will suffer because of it.

I'm just waiting for Easy Eddie to open up and pull out one last 150, 2 TD game just to show the football world that he still had it in him, and then begin seriously contemplating retirement. As of this moment, though, he still brings a LOT to the team as a possession reciever with the best hands on the team, as well as some of the best blocking (which REALLY opens up Portis, the best cutback runner in the league).
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:35 am

arrbez wrote:personally, i'd go with boldin because he's more consistant. it just drives me crazy to play a receiver like lelie who could put up 110 yds and a TD one game, and then have 12 yards the next game. from what i figure, boldin could be around the 80 yard mark each game, with the posibility of a TD. i've just lost too many close game by having 0-point WR's this year...

Good point.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk