Waiver Process - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafeholics Anonymous

Waiver Process

Moderators: flotsamnjetsam, Santacruzer, Football Moderators

Waiver Process

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:36 am

OK guys. I thought about this all day while I was at work. Unfortunately today was a day that my computer wouldn't allow me onto the cafe. My computer is weird in that some days I can go everywhere on the internet and some days I can't.

We tried to make it just like how nfl.com does their waiver system. On nfl.com all players get put on waivers when the 1st game of the week starts until Tuesday night at midnight. During this time all the owners can place a request for an add/drop and then the owner with the highest waiver priotiy gets that player once waivers are over for that week (Tuesday at midnight). I don't like how yahoo does their add/drops from Sunday until Tuesday because it gives the advantage to the 1st owner who happens to log in to a computer. I for one go to a sports bar every Sunday to watch the Jets and Giants so there's no way for me to make add/drops during Sunday's games. nfl.com does the waiver system the best way and that's what we were trying to emulate.

With this said, I'm having 2nd thoughts about our waiver system. It sounded like a good idea at the time but unfortunately I think we may have to scrap it and just play by yahoo's waiver system. I think the system I came up with would work but I think it's a little too complicated and I can see a least 2 problems that could arise. 1 would be if someone didn't check the forum and picks up a player after midnight on Tuesday that got awarded to someone who put in a claim on that person over the weekend through PM's. The other thing that isn't fair about this system is something I didn't think about. The way it is now I'm supposed to lock the add/drops from gametime on Sunday until Tuesday at midnight. What's not fair is that when I unlock the add/drops I can be the 1st person to add someone each week because I'll be the 1st person there when the add/drops open on Tuesdays at midnight.

I really hate the yahoo system but I think it might be a lot easier to just suck it up and play by yahoo's waiver system rules.

Thoughts?
Last edited by flotsamnjetsam on Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:22 am

I unlocked everyone for making add/drops since the current waiver process has them open after Tuesday at midnight.

I apologize for all the confusion this waiver process has caused. :-/

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:30 am

whatever is clever. i'm in a local league where the commish is trying to manually lock and unlock the waivers like this on tuesday and sunday. it seems like a lot of work to me. i'm all for whatever. i don't think it's that big of a deal either way.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby The_Dude » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:57 am

I agree that having a locked/unlocked waiver process is better, but it would require a lot of work on your end FNJ... in order for it to work, you have to lock the waiver system on Sunday and allow people to make waiver claims during the day on the fly.

I'm not really concerned about you having first dibs on Tuesday at midnight, because if you really want a player, then you put in a waiver claim for him. In my experience, all desirable players end up getting taken in the waiver process, and there's mostly just junk left at midnight Tuesday.

My apologies for making the first pickup of the week that caused the confusion. I'm happy to drop all of these guys back to the wire and pick up the bums I had.

But we don't have time to discuss this since we're already at Wednesday of week 1... i think the Commishes just need to make an executive ruling and go with it. Perhaps that ruling should be start the waiver system week 2... or scrap it altogether.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:33 am

The_Dude wrote:I agree that having a locked/unlocked waiver process is better, but it would require a lot of work on your end FNJ... in order for it to work, you have to lock the waiver system on Sunday and allow people to make waiver claims during the day on the fly.

I'm not really concerned about you having first dibs on Tuesday at midnight, because if you really want a player, then you put in a waiver claim for him. In my experience, all desirable players end up getting taken in the waiver process, and there's mostly just junk left at midnight Tuesday.

My apologies for making the first pickup of the week that caused the confusion. I'm happy to drop all of these guys back to the wire and pick up the bums I had.

But we don't have time to discuss this since we're already at Wednesday of week 1... i think the Commishes just need to make an executive ruling and go with it. Perhaps that ruling should be start the waiver system week 2... or scrap it altogether.

I think this is the best way to go. Too many people involved in the discussion will just muddle the process. Do what you guys think is best and we'll all live with it. No matter what you decide, the rules will be the same for everyone - level playing field.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:33 am

Did I just cheat? I put one request on the waiver and tried to put in a second but then it put the guy on my roster.

I'm cool with dropping Randel El and submitting the claim to the waiver order. That's what I was trying to do in the first place.

Or can you only have one claim request in at a time?

I don't know what happened. I was trying to play nice. O:-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:59 am

Im good with whatever the commishes have time for. In a perfect world the rosters would be locked on Sunday at gametime and open on Tues morn but things dont always work out that way. Yahoo sucks!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:34 pm

At this point, I'm also comfortable with whatever decision the Commishes reach on this topic. It does sound like a lot of work for you FNJ and if it's something you don't want to deal with at this point, then I say scrap it this year and deal with Yahoo's measly way of doing it.

Next year we could move the league to NFL.com and have the waiver system the way we want it.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:53 pm

It honestly doesn't matter to me, whatever you decide flot will be a ok with me. as long as we're all on the same page, it should be fine...
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:07 am

OK guys, thanks for all the responses.

Matt & I discussed this tonight. I really hate the yahoo waiver system but for the sake of simplicity we think that we should just scrap the PM system I came up with and just use yahoo's system.

Like everyone pointed out, it sucks but at least it's the same rules for everyone.

And like Cap pointed out, we can move the league to nfl.com or another site that has a similar waiver system next year. I know that this is a redraft league but we have a great bunch of guys in the league and I know that I'm planning on this league continuing into 2007 and beyond.

Sound good?

FNJ

flotsamnjetsam

Next

Return to Cafeholics Anonymous