Punter stabbed by back-up punter. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Punter stabbed by back-up punter.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Punter stabbed by back-up punter.

Postby roninmedia » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:24 am

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4185521.html

Harding-Kerrigan revisited
Northern Colorado punter stabbed in incident similar to skaters' episode

Associated Press

In a scenario reminiscent of Tonya Harding vs. Nancy Kerrigan, the backup punter at Northern Colorado has been accused of stabbing his rival in the leg — his kicking leg.

Mitch Cozad, a sophomore from Wheatland, Wyo., allegedly attacked Rafael Mendoza in a parking lot this week. Arrested on a charge of second-degree assault, Cozad was freed Wednesday on a $30,000 bond.

Mendoza, who was treated and released at a Greeley, Colo., hospital, will miss at least Saturday's game at Texas State.

"Rafael is a competitor and wants to get back as soon as he can," said coach Scott Downing. "When that occurs, I don't know."

The incident conjured up images of the 1994 rivalry between figure skaters Harding and Kerrigan. Harding was banned from the sport for life after her former husband hired a hit man to smack Kerrigan on the knee with a crowbar.

"I guess the only identified motive (in the attack on Mendoza) at this point in time is the competition for that position," Evans, Colo., police Lt. Gary Kessler said.

But Downing wasn't so sure.

Cozad and Mendoza, a junior from the Denver suburb of Thornton, were competitive, he said, but no more than players at other positions.

"No different than starting quarterback or starting right tackle," the coach said. "Everyone was held accountable to the same level."

Asked if there was any jealousy between the two players, he said, "I have no idea. That would all be conjecture."

Cozad was suspended from the university and the team and was evicted from his dorm room, director of athletics Jay Hinrichs said.

Cozad had no listed phone number in Greeley, and a phone message left at his Wyoming address was not immediately returned.

The stabbing took place on Monday in Evans, a small town adjacent to Greeley and about 50 miles north of Denver. The Greeley Tribune first reported the story in Wednesday's editions.

Kessler said Mendoza, averaging 37.6 yards per punt on nine punts in the two games, was attacked from behind and stabbed in his right thigh after parking his car outside his Evans apartment about 9:30 p.m.

The assailant fled in a black Dodge Charger, Kessler said. About 10 minutes after the attack, a liquor store clerk told police that two men in a car matching that description stopped outside the store, stripped tape off the license plate and drove away.

The clerk gave police the license number, and the car was traced to Cozad, who was arrested Tuesday, Kessler said.

roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:07 am

I saw this. At least Harding hired someone to do her dirty work. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:10 am

a back up punter at a small school doing this for playing time. I find that unbelievable. there's more to it than that. someone was tapping the others girl.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:49 pm

Reminds me of that movie "The Fan" I think it was.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:51 pm

i heard this- i really wouldnt expect this from a puner though compared to players from other positions.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Did this guy do it in the dark? Was he wearing a hood? What was he thinking - that he could stab his "rival" and nobody would know who did it?

People are weird, man.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 pm

I've heard of punters shanking punts, but punters shanking punters? Thats messed up. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:39 pm

Metroid wrote:I've heard of punters shanking punts, but punters shanking punters? Thats messed up. :-t

that was a good one. ;-D
I'd give him the shiv
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Metroid wrote:I've heard of punters shanking punts, but punters shanking punters? Thats messed up. :-t

that was a good one. ;-D
I'd give him the shiv

Yeah shiv. Thats jailhouse talk there. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Well, punting is a dangerous job! :-B (as a matter of fact, I did get my ACL blow up by a guy trying to block a punt :-P :-D )

But still, this is a pretty stange story...
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Next

Return to General Talk