Bionic Arm - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bionic Arm

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bionic Arm

Postby dream_017 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:08 pm

detnews via AP wrote:Bionic arm may aid soldier amputees

Tennessee man tests first thought-controlled prosthetic arm in joint military research project.

Bill Poovey / Associated Press

DAYTON, Tenn. -- Jesse Sullivan has two prosthetic arms, but he can climb a ladder at his house and roll on a fresh coat of paint. He's even mastered a more sensitive maneuver -- hugging his grandchildren.

The motions are coordinated and smooth because his left arm is a bionic device controlled by his brain. He thinks, "Close hand," and electrical signals sent through surgically re-routed nerves make it happen.

Doctors describe Sullivan as the first amputee with a thought-controlled artificial arm.

Researchers encouraged Sullivan, who became an amputee in an industrial accident, not to go easy on his experimental limb.

"When I left, they said don't bring it back looking new," the 59-year-old Sullivan said with a grin. At times he been so rough with the bionic arm that it has broken, including once when he pulled the end off starting a lawnmower.

That prompted researchers to make improvements, part of a U.S. government initiative to refine artificial limbs that connect body and mind. The National Institutes of Health has supported the research, joined more recently by the military's research-and-development wing, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Some 411 U.S. troops in Iraq and 37 in Afghanistan have had wounds that cost them at least one limb, the Army Medical Command says.

Although work that created Sullivan's arm preceded the research by DARPA, he said he's proud to test a type of bionic arm that soldiers could someday use. "Those guys are heroes in my book," he said, "and they should have the best there is."

"We're excited about collaborating with the military," said the developer of Sullivan's arm, Dr. Todd Kuiken, director of neuroengineering at the Center for Artificial Limbs at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.

Sullivan's bionic arm represents an advance over typical artificial arms, like the right-arm prosthesis he uses, which has a hook and operates with sequential motions.

"It is not as smooth as a normal arm but it works much smoother than a normal prosthesis," Kuiken said.

Science actually working to help people. ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1crzydmnd » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:12 pm

THAT is cool. Wonder what it does when he thinks "Pour beer"?.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:15 pm

That is absolutely amazing...and a little frightening. But, seriously, that is really cool that science can now use brain waves to control mechanics like that. Wild.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:24 pm

1crzydmnd wrote:THAT is cool. Wonder what it does when he thinks "Pour beer"?.

Or "masterbate" OUCH!!! 8-o

Seriously though thats awsome I'd like to see pics of him, it says it sends signals through surgiclly rerouted nerves, do you think its actually wired into his brain? :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Re: Bionic Arm

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:40 pm

dream_017 wrote:

Tennessee man tests first thought-controlled prosthetic arm in joint military research project.

DAYTON, Tenn. -- Jesse Sullivan has two prosthetic arms, but he can climb a ladder at his house and roll on a fresh coat of paint. He's even mastered a more sensitive maneuver -- groovin his chubby

Sorry, though it need some tactfull editing. :-b

as for the truth of the story, that's awesome. though i have to wonder what the heck took em so long. I mean the 6 million dollar man went off the air years ago. wannnnnannnnnannnnaaaa ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:44 pm

Metroid wrote:
1crzydmnd wrote:THAT is cool. Wonder what it does when he thinks "Pour beer"?.

Or "masterbate" OUCH!!! 8-o

Seriously though thats awsome I'd like to see pics of him, it says it sends signals through surgiclly rerouted nerves, do you think its actually wired into his brain? :-?

Click on the article, there is a picture of him painting his house ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Re: Bionic Arm

Postby Metroid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
dream_017 wrote:

DAYTON, Tenn. -- Jesse Sullivan has two prosthetic arms, but he can climb a ladder at his house and roll on a fresh coat of paint. He's even mastered a more sensitive maneuver -- groovin his chubby

Sorry, though it need some tactfull editing. :-b

as for the truth of the story, that's awesome. though i have to wonder what the heck took em so long. I mean the 6 million dollar man went off the air years ago. wannnnnannnnnannnnaaaa ;-D

HA!! Grooving his chubby. :-b

After looking at the pic I dont think I'd wanna be rubbin one out with those lobster claws. Maybe the military could also make him a special attachment. :-b

But yeah thats totaly awsome he must feel great to get some mobility back in his upper body. ;-D

wannnnannnannnannaaa :-b
Metroid

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:53 pm

cool...just one step closer to Cyborg's taking over the world
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:cool...just one step closer to Cyborg's taking over the world

Ha! That could'nt really happen......could it? 8-o
Metroid

Postby mrblitz » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:22 pm

I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye