Open note to everyone here regarding our postings....... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Open note to everyone here regarding our postings.......

Moderator: Football Moderators

Open note to everyone here regarding our postings.......

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:08 am

This is about as touchy-feely as your ever gonna get from me on an anonymous forum, :-b but I like it here and dont want to see this forum turned into the general crap that I see on other college football message boards; namely sportsline and sportingnews.

I'm starting this thread in hopes of clearly the air on my perception of "hurt" feelings that I've read about, caused, etc. I'm not trying to get on my high horse, cause fights, make accusations, or anything like that. Most here probably dont need to hear this, but I'm just trying to bring this as a good sport. ;-D

Its only the 3rd week of the regular season and I've had 2 people get offended by things that I've posted and seen others get offended at other people's posts. I'm as hardcore as any other fan that posts here. Shoot, I have Herbie Husker tattooed on my chest. :-D Now, I have to admit that when I was younger I had a harder time coming to grips with this, but college football is just that, COLLEGE FOOTBALL, nothing life or death.

I can understand how some would take some of the things that are posted here personally. I totally get that. But for those that this would apply to, do you really want everyone to make there posts so p.c. that it takes all the passion and humor out of the threads? If youre not passionate about it to some degree, I would question your level of support.

Utlimatley, I'm not asking for anyone to change there modus operandi in how they post. Frankly, without the banter its just not as fun, but here are some general rules that I use for myself that if taken on by others, may be able to help keep their emotions in check:

1) college football = passion
- Dont confuse passion for instigation. Your gonna be challenged to back up your claims, but that doesnt even have to mean that youre being disagreed with, youre just being asked to provide tangible support for your claim.

2) YOU are not the college football team you support.
- Another arguement I can totally buy into is that you are part of the team's "nation" that you support. You go to the games, buy their merchandise, rearrange your personal live to make sure you can see or hear every game, and defend them when someone takes a verbal shot at them. Thats what being a die hard fan is all about. Heck, some of us may care more abou the state of the program than some of the actual players do. But you still have to realize that you still arent them. If someone says, "X University sucks", it doesnt mean that they're saying "YOU suck." You have to be able to separate that. Which lead me to.....

3) If you feel a negative emotion in response to a post. Re-read the post prior to responding.
- This is basically the whole, "dont jump to conclusions" plea. Many times I've seen responses to posts where its clear the person latched on to one word or sentence in the post and reacted negatively to it. A lot of these negative responses werent necessary if they had really understood the angle that the poster was taking in the arguement. On the flip side, if someone is calling you out for "whining" or "not making a valid arguement" reread YOUR post. They may just be correct. Which leads me to.....

4) Make a valid arguement.
- A valid arguement (at least when it comes to college football) contains facts (stats) and fact based opinions. Valid arguements dont contain insults and name calling. An example: "Youre acting like a jerk and I dont like your attitude therefor your claim holds no merrit." This is a crude example to be sure, but we've all seen it. Thats the most flawed logic there is and expect to be taken to task if thats the best arguement you can bring.

5) Never, ever, EVER, PM someone to blast them about their post.
- This makes you look like a huge panty waste. If youre responding in such a way that you dont want everyone to know what your response was to a post, you shouldnt be posting it all. Thats not to say that I'm against off-line discussions/arguements especially if its mutually agreed upon by involved parties.

On a personal note, sure, I've broken my rules. I'M HUMAN, I'M NOT A MACHINE. :-b But in my defense, when I've called someone a name, its not that I really think that person is what I've called them, its more of a "C'mon man, think about this a little harder." (not really an emoticon for that) or I'm just trying to give you some shit. (yes theres emoticons for that) Hek, if I reacted like an ass every time fans of a different school called me, or other Husker fans, a hillbilly, or incestors, I'd be dead or in prison. (I'm gonna digress for a sec. Just so everyone here knows, theres really no hills in Nebraska. The closest thing there are called bluffs. Save those comments for fans of the Virginia schools. Also, incest has never been a problem in Nebraska that I'm aware of. Bring that to fans of Kentucky, if there are any, and Tennesse. :-b ) Theres some insight into my personality. ;-) The commitment I will make on this particular forum is to better use the emoticons as I've tried to do in this post.

Bottom line, I'm posting this here because college football generally elicits so much more emotion than any of the other forums on this site. Before the question is asked, yes, there was something that prompted me to post this, but I will not get into specifics. I'm sure I'm not the first to post something like this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Please take this in the spirit that it was intended. Now I will go back to being the a-hole some of you may have thought. ;-7 ....or maybe this just reinforces your thought 8-o
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:59 am

Thats awsome Hskrpwr very well written. Thanx for putting that out there. There is some good advice in there I know I can use. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby ShoelessJoe » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:31 am

Get off your high horse, stop trying to cause fights, and stop making accusations. Sheesh! ;-D
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:35 pm

Very well said, Hskr! I've pretty much gotten over my angst from what's said at the Cafe, but I notice regularly guys getting themselves all bunched up over things that are said about them or their team which they perceive to be them.

It would be great if everyone could take this to heart, especially in this forum where apparently so many people take what's posted very personally.

Kudos to you. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:21 am

Nebraska sucks.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:32 pm

VaderFin wrote:Nebraska sucks.

I take that personally. :-#
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Nebraska sucks.

I take that personally. :-#

:-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to College Football