Vick better than Delhomme - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vick better than Delhomme

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Fritzenhammer » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:35 pm

My league, 4.5 per passing TD, 6 per rushing RD, 1/21 for passing 1/8 for rushing yards. (PPR). Got Vick really late, he'll easily finish top 10 in QB scoring.

He can have value in any league, you just have to stop expecting him to turn into the fantasy Messiah.

FH
Fritzenhammer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Fritzenhammer wrote:
He can have value in any league, you just have to stop expecting him to turn into the fantasy Messiah.

FH

I'm in one league where QB's get zero points for rushing yards. I believe he's still available.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

I think that Vick is continuing to improve and will continue to have flashes of brilliance that may become more frequent, but like the guys are saying his downside is 0- 2- or 4-point games in back to back weeks. The guy is just too inconsistent.

Look at Tom Brady and Marc Bulger over the last few years. Bulger is by far the flashier, more "sexy" pick for QB with that high-powered offense and vertical-first game plan, but over that same period Brady has actually been the better play.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Vick better than Delhomme

Postby The Jury » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:35 pm

First & Goal wrote:Depending on your league scoring, Vick could be a better fantasy QB than del homme.

It all depends on the ratio of points per rushing yard vs. points per passing yard.

In an NFL.com league (1 pt/10 rushing yard, 1 pt/25 passing yards) Vick actually ends up as a slightly better fantasy QB. Again, it all depends on your scoring.

Just thought I'd share, as I'm starting Vick over Delhomme at least until Steve Smith gets back.

Depending on your league scoring, Alex Smith could be better than LT2... :-°
Respect Stevie McNair. Bow down to the pouch.
The Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:05 pm

I think Mr. Mexico is a decent #2 QB, but I'd hate to have to rely on him week-to-week.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:15 pm

First & Goal wrote:delhomme doesn't have smith again this week. I'm starting Vick. You guys can laugh at me on Monday morning...

If your argument is that Dlehomme - SS < Vick, I'll buy that. Smith makes Delhomme a fantasy option, not the other way around, but over the course of this season, I'd definitely start Delhomme over Vick more often than not.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mysticphysh » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:35 pm

mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:42 pm

First & Goal wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:
First & Goal wrote:Depending on your league scoring, Vick could be a better fantasy QB than del homme.

It all depends on the ratio of points per rushing yard vs. points per passing yard.

In an NFL.com league (1 pt/10 rushing yard, 1 pt/25 passing yards) Vick actually ends up as a slightly better fantasy QB. Again, it all depends on your scoring.

Just thought I'd share, as I'm starting Vick over Delhomme at least until Steve Smith gets back.

When you decided that Vick is better than Delhomme with this scoring set up, did you include TD's?

.....and turnovers?

Yes, I figured 1.56 TDs/game for delhomme (last year's average) and 1.4TDs/game for Vick (again last year's average).

Also figured in 1.375 ints/fuml per game for delhomme and 1.2 ints/fuml per game for Vick.

how bout you use more than one years numbers. show us the average touchdown or fantasy points per game for delhome and vick and it shows how silly it is to say vick is better than delhome.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:32 am

I've got to agree with Kensat that the whole Vick thing is more of a myth. Yes his running does make him a little more apt to get injured, but really no more than a QB with a bad line. As for the Delhomme/Vick argument, here's the last 4 seasons with Jake first and Vick second:

238 - 243
290 - 240
210 - 060
000 - 310

So now let's look into the numbers. 2002 Vick was a stud and no one can really argue that. Delhomme wasn't even on the map yet so I won't hold that against him. 2003 was Vick's injury which has happened once in the past four years. 2004 was Vick's first year back and we all recall the "reigns" were pulled in so he wouldn't get hurt and Delhomme had a good year. 2005 the "reigns" were still in on Vick and Delhomme had a solid year.

So what do these numbers tell me? Delhomme had one great season as did Vick. Delhomme looks to be around a 250 point type of guy (when he has SSmith). Vick on the other hand also looks to be about a 250 point guy, but this was with the "reigns" pulled in. The coaching staff has said that in order for Vick to be effective, they have to let him play his game. So I don't see it far fetched at all to imagine Vick's numbers increasing a little with him being allowed to scramble a little bit more. Combine that with TJ leaving and Vick most liekly grabbing another couple TD's close to the end zone, and you can start to see why he has a good chance to improve on his numbers.

Are Vick and Delhomme close? Yes. Is it "silly" as some people are saying to say Vick is better than Delhomme? Not at all and if you think it is, then you have fallen victim to all the negative press Vick has gotten in the FF world.

Last week Vick was 10-22 for about 150 yards. Not good QB numbers at all. But from a FF perspective, he was able to put up nice points when you bring in his rushing, which is what Vick does best.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby FatFoot » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:38 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:how bout you use more than one years numbers. show us the average touchdown or fantasy points per game for delhome and vick and it shows how silly it is to say vick is better than delhome.

Why?

What does a career mean to a re-drafter? All that matters is this year. There were plenty of good draft choices last year that aren't even on the radar this year. And vice versa. LJ wasn't going in the first few rounds last year. Suddenly his value has increased. Delhomme has no SS right now, and their o line hasn't looked great. Perhaps his value has slipped. FF is all fluid situations, right?

Does anyone think it's IMPOSSIBLE for Vick to outscore Delhomme in FF points this year?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk