Building a Brick Fire Pit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Building a Brick Fire Pit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:22 pm

Well, it's plain red brick so I may be out of luck. It was basically just an idea since I have so many bricks left over and the wife wanted a firepit. I won't be tackling this job for another month or so, so I'll add this to my favorites and let you know if I have any further questions.

I have some friends who know about this stuff, but I wanted to get the Cafe's opinion. First, to get an idea on how to get it started and the steps/tools needed, and also so when I chat it up with my buds I can kind of sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks Metroid. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:40 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, it's plain red brick so I may be out of luck. It was basically just an idea since I have so many bricks left over and the wife wanted a firepit. I won't be tackling this job for another month or so, so I'll add this to my favorites and let you know if I have any further questions.

I have some friends who know about this stuff, but I wanted to get the Cafe's opinion. First, to get an idea on how to get it started and the steps/tools needed, and also so when I chat it up with my buds I can kind of sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Yeah hhf is right it is very hands on and hard to explain I have an Advanced Masonry Skills book that I use for reference its pretty good. I could look up some others if you wanted. Also if you do try to whip something out I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. And people at the masons supply store should be able to help you out.

Also I know its not the coolest but its damn cheap and instant no mortar. And these are just the most basic lanscape block or Diamondbacks. I now here on the west coast we have quite a few different variaties.

Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:06 pm

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Well, it's plain red brick so I may be out of luck. It was basically just an idea since I have so many bricks left over and the wife wanted a firepit. I won't be tackling this job for another month or so, so I'll add this to my favorites and let you know if I have any further questions.

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Yeah hhf is right it is very hands on and hard to explain I have an Advanced Masonry Skills book that I use for reference its pretty good. I could look up some others if you wanted. Also if you do try to whip something out I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. And people at the masons supply store should be able to help you out.

Also I know its not the coolest but its damn cheap and instant no mortar. And these are just the most basic lanscape block or Diamondbacks. I now here on the west coast we have quite a few different variaties.

Wow, I like that. Pretty simple and probably no mortar needed, huh? We poured the first installment of the patio today. The next 3 weekends are booked up, so it'll be another month before I get serious about the firepit.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:49 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Wow, I like that. Pretty simple and probably no mortar needed, huh? We poured the first installment of the patio today. The next 3 weekends are booked up, so it'll be another month before I get serious about the firepit.

That pick=zero mortor needed. I dont think I'd set it up on your new concrete patio but it be great out in the lawn. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:52 am

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

That pick=zero mortor needed. I dont think I'd set it up on your new concrete patio but it be great out in the lawn. ;-D

Why not on the patio?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:23 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Why not on the patio?

Just cuz a fire would scorch your new concrete. But if you put firebrick in the bottom...... ;-D .
Metroid

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:56 am

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Why not on the patio?

Just cuz a fire would scorch your new concrete. But if you put firebrick in the bottom...... ;-D .

So I could put a layer of firebrick on the bottom, in the circle like the picture, then put those retaining-wall-looking bricks on top? Are these materials sold at hardware stores or do I need to go to a special brick and mortar store?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:02 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Why not on the patio?

So I could put a layer of firebrick on the bottom, in the circle like the picture, then put those retaining-wall-looking bricks on top? Are these materials sold at hardware stores or do I need to go to a special brick and mortar store?

You can buy that retaining wall stone at Lowes or Menards or Home Depot. I buy mine at Menards because they're usually cheaper than the other two. I'm pretty sure Menards would have fire brick as well.

Omaha I think you might be inspiring me. Maybe I'll do this in my backyard too. If the retaining wall stone works that would be pretty easy.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:52 am

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Why not on the patio?

You can buy that retaining wall stone at Lowes or Menards or Home Depot. I buy mine at Menards because they're usually cheaper than the other two. I'm pretty sure Menards would have fire brick as well.

Omaha I think you might be inspiring me. Maybe I'll do this in my backyard too. If the retaining wall stone works that would be pretty easy.

Yeah any building supply store should have them and maybe firebrick as well. I'd recomend checking out a massons supply store, they might have more varities. Or look in your phone book for block/brick yards this is where you may have to get the firebrick. Heres a couple more pics showing different styles colors etc. I know there is even more styles I just cant find pics online.

Heres a link to a site with more pics.
http://www.geostone.com/Landscape_Page.htm

The Block have a lip on the bottom that locks them together break it off with a hammer for your first layer so it sits flat.(see bellow)

Also its unlikley they will lay out without cuts the brick/block yard usually have block spliters you can borrow or rent(sucks if you have to rent though since you'll probably only have one cut. Lowes or HomeDepot or whatever the heck is in your neck of the woods might have one too. I never thought I'd be talking shop here. :-b Anyways good luck bro, lemmie know is you have any more questions. ;-D

I just threw this last pic up cuz I thought it was awsome, lake front with and endless swimming pool and built in hot tub,what a killer backyard. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:55 am

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Thanks Metroid. ;-D

No problem ORS,

Why not on the patio?

Yeah, that's the part I liked the most too (the easy part). :-b

We have 2 maples and some other kind of tree in our back yard. My neighbor's got 2 in her back yard and 1 in her front yard. Needless to say we have way too many sticks, twigs, branches, etc. to know what to do with.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk