Defense strategies in Madden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Defense strategies in Madden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Defense strategies in Madden

Postby Luca Brasi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:24 pm

I've got my offense game now but I'm having a little trouble with defense. I've never played high school football and never really studied football defensive schemes...so in Madden I pretty much play Cover 2 and Cover 3, which doesn't always work. I'm opening up talk to the gurus out here for a little help.

Some topics:
-What's a good scheme to start on a 1st & 10 when your opponent will most likely run, but possibly throw a pass (75%/25%)?
-What's a good scheme on a short-yart 2nd & 5 or 3rd & 5 when your opponent will probably run?
-What's a good scheme when your opponent might throw a long pass?
-What's a good scheme when your opponent lines up in I-form?
-What's a good scheme when your opponent lines up in Single-back form?
-which player do you usually "control" before the snap? Do you play a DL and try to go after the QB, or a DB and roam the field looking for that interception?
-when the ball is thrown, do you switch to the nearest defender and try to pick the interception, or switch to a guy farther down the field to try stop him from breaking out for a TD?

What are some of your favorite "can't miss" schemes?
I play as the Bears mostly.

Thanks in advance!
Luca Brasi
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Defense strategies in Madden

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:58 pm

Some topics:
on 1st and 10, I like to blitz or use 46 bear, or 4-3 defense. If they have more then 2 recievers on 1st and 10, Ill use nickle or 3-4.
-I dont know. I like blitzing. Ill pick engage eight A LOT
-Prevent. Then move all your DB's back, I think you press triangle then up before the snap.
-46 bear. or if your defense doesent have it, 4-3.
-What's a good scheme when your opponent lines up in Single-back form?
-middle or outside linebacker.
-switch to the nearest defender

I like playing with the eagles (2005)

not a madden guru, so take my response lightly
whoseyourdaddy12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thatonepoorkid » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Quarter Deep: alot of speed but not much up front so they can run for long gains

Nickle: 2 Lbs so you still have some run D but you can play the pass better, i like to use this when i think they might pass it over the middle but im not sure.

Dime: One LB Gives little D in the middle and should prolly only be used on 3rd and 10 or 2nd and long.

That is just how i play with thoise forms.
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:39 am

If I think the opposition is going to run I'll play a 4-3 or 46 defense. On first down I like to blitz a lot in those formations as a run blitz.

After that, I normally try to match up DBs with the # of receivers. If they go 2-3 receivers I'll play a nickel defense, then go dime if they throw 4 receivers out there. I throw some corner blitzes in there to put some pressure on the QB.

I always control a DT at the start, then will switch to the closest player if someone breaks through the line. The DT is a good spot to stop the run up the middle or force the QB out of the pocket. On pass plays, I just let the computer make the deflections/interceptions for me and try to tackle if the catch is made.

I'm playing with the Dolphins right now and am 7-2. I have the best run D in the league and the 5th best pass D.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:01 am

I hate blitzing a corner. The computer sees it right away, and exploits it every time
whoseyourdaddy12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:12 am

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:I hate blitzing a corner. The computer sees it right away, and exploits it every time

Not always. I've got a corner with 4 sacks right now, good for third on my team behind Jason Taylor and Kevin Carter. Plus, you can control someone else on the field to cover the guy you would be leaving wide open.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Video Games