Is LJ Really A Stud? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Is LJ Really A Stud?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mikemar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:31 pm

I had the 3rd pick in the first year of a keeper league and LT fell to me, i was jumping for joy!!!!
mikemar
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:08 pm

I'll admit through the first 2 games, I've been wrong. I had LJ rated over LT2. But its a long season, we'll see how things go. :-B
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BadgerBengal » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Lt has 8 more yards rushing than LJ and LJ has 52 more receiving yards that Lt. LJ will get his TD's and he will still be the number 1 back this season.

San Diego has played the Titans and the Raiders two of if not the two worst teams in the NFL, KC has played Denver and Cincy two playoff teams from last year. LJ is still the better back and he will end the season with better numbers than LT.
Thanks to WickedSmaat for the Grrreat sig
BadgerBengal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:37 am

Like Denver RBs, he is a product of the system. With the offensive line depletion and a new coaching change, I don't know how people could risk picking him #1 overall. I don't fault you for it, but I couldn't have done it myself.

No one was saying out of college that LJ was going to be the next Marshall Faulk or Priest Holmes. It is just because of the system. I don't think LJ is in the top 5 as far as talent, thus I would not consider him a stud if the system he is in has those types of question marks.

Incidentally, I said the same thing about Edge. RBs get way too much credit for their circumstances when they are really not that talented. LT is a guy who year after year has overcome bad teams and tough schedules and still put up stud numbers. I considered him the obvious #1 pick (considering Alexander finally got his new contract...never a good thing for fantasy leaguers).
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby SniperShot » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:01 am

Yeah actually with Green out I think the chances for LJ to catch the ball go up big time. I am loving him having 5+ receptions for over 10 yards each. It's a nice extra that I was not expecting when I drafted him in my PPR league.

Overall even without LJ getting TD's he is still putting up numbers that are winning me games.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby mattb47 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:01 pm

BadgerBengal wrote:Lt has 8 more yards rushing than LJ and LJ has 52 more receiving yards that Lt. LJ will get his TD's and he will still be the number 1 back this season.

San Diego has played the Titans and the Raiders two of if not the two worst teams in the NFL, KC has played Denver and Cincy two playoff teams from last year. LJ is still the better back and he will end the season with better numbers than LT.

This argument is faulty because a big reason why LT hasn't had more yards is because he's played weak defenses and SD has been blowing teams away. When he's in a closer game with a better team, he'll get the ball more and play for longer in the games. LJ is not a better RB!!!! How could you possibly say that? LT is by far the best RB in the NFL.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby nameless1 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:25 pm

It bugs me how so many people are already labeling LJ as a bust this year after only two games; and two SOLID games at that. Here are some facts to put things in perspective for you:

-LJ has scored more fantasy points in his first two games than Shaun Alexander did last year in his record-breaking season

-If you extrapolate LJ's yardage total for the first two games over a 16-game season, he'd break Marshall Faulk's record for total yards from scrimmage.

-LT put up phenomenal numbers for the beginning of the season last year too, but for the last five games last year (the most important for fantasy football) he averaged 75 yards a game and TOTALED one touchdown.

-The Kansas City Chiefs are not gonna score one touchdown every two games (as they did the first two weeks) for the rest of the season, just as the San Diego Chargers aren't gonna average 33.5 points for the rest of the season. Touchdown-scoring is fairly random for any player in fantasy football, but LJ will get his.

-The theory that LT will put up better numbers when he faces tougher defenses is bull, in addition to it being harder for him to run, his rookie qb will committ multiple drive-killing mistakes against competent defenses and the Chargers will have to throw more to make up points if they're down. LJ, on the other hand, should put out beastly numbers when playing the next two teams on his schedule, San Francisco and Arizona.

So, am I saying that LJ will have a better season than Shaun Alexander last year or Marshall Faulk in his prime, or that LT will be a bust cadidate this year...no. I'm just saying that there's no reason to write LJ off this early, or undervalue him in a trade to get LT (as i've seen a couple times already). LJ had mammoth expectations from all of us for this season and therefore he is considered a dissapointment in every game he doesn't rush for 200 yards and score 3 touchdowns, and his owners are freaking out more than the ones who picked Shaun Alexander, who has had much less success against two much weaker opponents. LJ may or may not have the dream season everyone's talked about, but you all need to chill and just be happy that you got such a stud on your team.
nameless1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:19 pm

I don't understand how anybody could possibly ask this question...

He's leading the league in total yards from scrimmage right now, and he's been one of the most dominant backs over the 1st two weeks. I mean it would be a different story if he had actually done badly over the last 2 games, but he did fine. The TD's will come, Herm won't hold the offense to field goals forever (or atleast I hope :-o ). What's the problem here?

I'm willing to bet that anybody that thinks this guy is a bust has never seen him play before.
mweir145
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting