More than just a start and sit question... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

More than just a start and sit question...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Popcynical » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:19 pm

Matthias wrote:
Popcynical wrote:Heath Miller has never fumbled the ball. Start him.

Yah, but he's only had 42 catches in his career. And it's not like he has huge upside: another 6, 8, 12 pts for the end of the season? Not worth the risk.

I will laugh if he misses out on the playoffs by 6 points.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:21 pm

This is how i see the postions most likely to receive negative points:

(1 PPR)
1. QB
2. DEF
3. Kickers
4. RB's
5. TE's
6. WR's

Qb's can easily throw 3 picks in a game and only throw for 100 yards which would be -4 points

Defenses give up over 35 or some points with not many int's, sacks or fumbles can easily amount to minus points.

Kickers can if their team doesnt score and they miss a FG or miss an extra point. (janikowski had 0 in week 1, if he missed 1 it would have been negative)

RB's can fumble the ball and get injured on the play resulting in the -2 points. (Te's and WR's only lose half to 25% of regular fumbles point losses since they get 1 point for the catch and a half point or full point depending on the yardage of the catch.)

TE's and Wr are explained right above, in a PPR league if they catch the ball and fumble or get hurt, it almost equals out from the points received for the yardage and catch.

In a regular scoring league, i would probably have RB's close to the bottom.

this ranking may differ for everyone.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby SniperShot » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:24 pm

Man what if on Tuesday some stat is found that his defense actually only allowed 299 yards instead of 300? Thus giving him another 3 points making you lose. What if something was found on one of your players actually didn't have a 23 yard reception (See Brandon Lloyd last week)

In a game that close I would say Miller is a must start. Go with him with confidence and build points. How many points you gonna lose if he fumbles? 2? 3? Odds are great he will get at least 3/4 looks especially if Big Ben starts. (Which he will) It'll take only a reception or two to make back points lost for a fumble.

But of course you can take the easy way out and just bench him. That's so boring though... If you bench him he probably has 100 yards and 2 td's.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Bowie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:36 pm

So he needs to finish with what for you to lose: -2 yards recieving and 1 fumble?

I would be more afraid of a stat correction than of negative points from your TE. Play him.

Personal experience: I have never lost a game I was winning because of a Monday night player getting negative points. I have lost a game on a Wednesday that I was winning because of a stat correction.
Last edited by Bowie on Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Popcynical » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Bowie wrote:So he needs to finish with what for you to lose: -2 yards recieving and 1 fumble?

I would be more afraid of a stat correction than of negative points from your TE. Play him.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kellys Heroes » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:41 pm

I might do this If I had a bad D or an Brooks... Miller I play and rack up a couple more pts...
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:55 pm

Alright Guys thanks, Ive decided to start him, Bascially for the stat correction thing.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Bowie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:31 pm

Now I'm nervous. :-o
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby suppasonic » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:34 pm

Bowie wrote:So he needs to finish with what for you to lose: -2 yards recieving and 1 fumble?

Personal experience: I have never lost a game I was winning because of a Monday night player getting negative points. I have lost a game on a Wednesday that I was winning because of a stat correction.

Last year,
I lost the weeks game after MNF. I was down by 2 points and really pissed because I didnt start such and such player that week (I think it was Gado's second week, wasn't sure if he was gonna put up the #s again) and had I started him I would have won.

However, on Wednsday, there was a stat correction. I won by 0.12 points.

Start Miller.
suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:43 pm

Another one of those questions that comes up every year! ;-D

My stand has always been to play your player. There is almost zero chance they are going to get negative points. I mean sure, there's a chance you could lose, but it's just kind of cheap (in my opinion) to sit players intentionally...if you were losing or if they played the same day as everyone else, you would have started them.

Besides that, if you are playing in a league where the tiebreaker is total points, those points you sit on your bench may make you lose a playoff spot.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk