jamal lewis wont keep up his stats - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

jamal lewis wont keep up his stats

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: those rbsa have losing records

Postby Buckychudd » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:29 pm

irishboy wrote:tomlinson is on an 0-4 team right now and the dolphins didnt even make the playoffs last year; these teams who go all running with no passing game are going to realize that a running game alone wont win games, much less playoff berths; they are going to start passing the ball more b/c theyll have to if they want any shot at making the playoffs; and baltimore is only 2-2 despite jamal lewis and their defesnse; the ravens are gonna realize that theyll have to develop a passing game and lower lewis's load if they wanna win

I agree with the sentiment that a balanced attack helps......but Baltimore's Defense gives them the balanced attack. Look at Carolina, they might even have less of a passing game than the Ravens......but as long as their D keeps you from scoring a TD, and as long as Davis keeps running all day long they will win games.

You also have to remember that Lewis still has two games against Cincy and another against the Browns, and he will rack up major yardage in both.....

Lewis is just the kind of runner that will do well in the Raven's system. A tough guy that will just punch it at you all day.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby V-unit » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:30 am

Who will get more attempts a game J.Lewis or S.Alexander?Since Seattle is in a Pass first run second system Alexander will get less carries than Lewis each and every week.With that said Lewis has that ability to make nothing out of something each and every week while Alexander still only does it a few games a year.I will take consistancy over a few games in my FFteam any day.
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: those rbsa have losing records

Postby zombiez » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:10 am

irishboy wrote:tomlinson is on an 0-4 team right now and the dolphins didnt even make the playoffs last year; these teams who go all running with no passing game are going to realize that a running game alone wont win games, much less playoff berths; they are going to start passing the ball more b/c theyll have to if they want any shot at making the playoffs; and baltimore is only 2-2 despite jamal lewis and their defesnse; the ravens are gonna realize that theyll have to develop a passing game and lower lewis's load if they wanna win
.......damn, seems to me lookin back over history, the teams that can establish the run win.....period
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

i see where all yall are coming from

Postby irishboy » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:28 am

its easy to see why so many of you love jamal lewis; its must my gut telling me that alexander will light it up later in the season and jackson will keep up his great playing
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:15 am

mtarail wrote:9er fan, I respect your opinion, but consider that Dillon has put up stats with weak QB's, Barry Sanders never had a decent QB, Ladainlan Tomlinson has gotten little to no help at QB, Ricky Williams plays with a pretty bad QB, etc.

I agree that playing with a good QB makes the running game easier, but Jamal Lewis hasn't exactly been a secret since his near 300 yard game and he still went to San Diego and pasted them. I think he'll do it all year. And let's not forget the possibility, however slight, that Balitmore's passing game improves. It certainly can't get any worse. ;-)

I'm not saying he'll suck. Putting stats up like Dillon is respectable, he just won't continue to produce like Holmes/Tomlinson/Williams. Also, Brees (at least last year), and especially Fiedler have performed much better than Boller. Barry had some very talented WR during his career in Det.

From this day forward, I think Lewis will perform well (top-15), but not exceptional (top-5). IMO Lewis for Alexander & Jackson was a good trade.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby brdmaverick » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:35 am

To predict that he won't run for 300 yards again is a no brainer. No one expects him too, but he will be a damn good back the rest of year barring injury. He has run through defenders thus far and yet gets no credit for it.

He has three straight 100 yard games with at least one score in those games. That's sounds pretty good team.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:01 pm

Y'all have to remember that Jamal Lewis and Shaun Alexander were drafted in the same year. Lewis was the 5th pick...Alexander a mid-late 1st, I believe. Sure, Lewis has had an injury history, but they say that a back takes two years to get back from his type of surgery. He had a pretty damn good year last year (better than EJ in fact), but just didn't score enough TDs to be an effective fantasy back. Lewis is a fine short yardage runner, so there's no reason to believe that will happen again. In fact, it hasn't happened this year.

Anyway, I've got a question for y'all. My league only awards 20 yds. per pt., six for TD, but 1 per rec. This obviously favors pass catching RBs (Holmes, LT, Faulk). How many catches is J-Lew gonna have this year? In this league's case, would it be smart to go for a Deuce McAllister (or Henry?), who'll probably catch more passes, especially since his team really sucks and is going down by a lot early. Thus, they're passing it a lot and dumping it off to McAllister. In this league's case, Lewis would barely crack the top 10 because of his lack of receptions, right?

Friendliness: %

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:25 pm

Yeah, Lewis really won't be a factor in the passing game. Might be a good idea to go after one of those other guys who tend to catch a lot of passes....Tomlinson, Garner, and Barber also tend to get a lot of looks out of the backfield.

On a side note, I hate points for receptions. If you are going to give a point/reception, why wouldn't you give a point/carry or a point/completion? It makes WR and catching RBs more valuable than they are actually worth.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby awwchrist » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:37 pm

first off...Jamal Lewis is NOT a 30 touch back. He's barely a 25 touch back. Fact of the matter is he barely gets 25 carries a game. Look at his history. He does not catch the ball. He does not carry the ball OVER 25 times a game. So quit pegging this guy as someone who does.

Yes this guy is good. And with allllllll the RB problems this season, finding a good RB to start that isn't involved with a nagging injury or involved with a RBBC scenario, a good RB becomes a great RB. But eventually injuries will heal and RBBC might end up in a one back system...

Lets not look at him with rose colored glasses. Be critical of this guy. He's riding the train of a record breaking game with no history other than the same exact performances against the same exact Cleveland Browns for the last 3 seasons.

Yes he's good. But in the overall grand scheme, he's not great.

You have more than enough history to warrant trading him away while his value is still high. Unless you need a starter.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:54 pm

Jamal lewis is still too young to peg as not great. Stephen Davis is five years older than him. Lewis had a good rookie year then he got hurt. He came off injury pretty strong the year after. Now he is fully recovered and this is a prime year for him to break out. I mean the guy just turned 24 c'mon. He was hurt at 22 and recovering at 23. He was the 5th pick overall in the draft for a reason man. Don't try and shoot him down. Go ahead and trade him though if you like a longer history to judge players on. Some people are more risk adverse than others. I like to speculate on the breakouts to get the best value while others like to go with the steady proven player. There is no right or wrong answer. We'll have to come back at week 12 or 13 and see how things are shaping up for the final run to see who will be positioned to be a top back.

Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk