Quote from Mike Tice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Quote from Mike Tice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Quote from Mike Tice

Postby kid a » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:23 pm

I can guarantee it's not fake news, but I can't reveal my sources

Mike Tice on KFAN-AM radio in Minneapolis....

He said he wants to get Onterrio Smith "his first 100 yard game this week" and "give him a chance to break out" before the bye week.

I'd say plug him in if you need help at RB this week. Sorry Moe Williams owners.
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hawksfan896 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:33 pm

Well....it makes sense, "future" type RB, weak opponent, team rolling.....it just seems kinda weird to announce it to the rest of the league.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby Cambodian » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:35 pm

Is he the future here? I think everyone forgets about a stud coming back named Michael Bennet. He's a top 8 back when healthy. I don't understand all this talk about Smith and Williams...maybe it's just me and Bennet will be traded. I don't know?!?!!?
Someday Da Bears will return to Glory!!
Cambodian
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby kid a » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:46 pm

Cambodian wrote:Is he the future here? I think everyone forgets about a stud coming back named Michael Bennet. He's a top 8 back when healthy. I don't understand all this talk about Smith and Williams...maybe it's just me and Bennet will be traded. I don't know?!?!!?

lol @ stud. That's using the word loosely.

I feel like a broken record stating my opinion on Bennett, but I'll do so again. He's a track star, a speed guy, doesn't rely on moves or power, just speed. He's injury prone and seems to have bad luck in general. He's also coming back from a serious injury, and I doubt you'll see him actually 100% this season.

Onterrio was the best RB out of college this year hands down. At one point he was a projected 1st rounder and after McGahee's injury, 13 NFL teams told Chris Mortenson that they had Onterrio as their #1 back.

Bennett wasn't the best RB the year came out, and he's not the best RB on this roster.

The only knock on Onterrio is his poor ability at picking up the blitz on passing plays, but the man is going to get his shot this week and I predict that he's not going to lose this job.
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hawksfan896 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:49 pm

Don't get me wrong, Bennett is a great young player, but this injury has got to be raising red flags in Minny. If everything works out like it should, he'll still be the go-to guy....but, I don't know a ton about stress fractures, but the reports I've been hearing--"should begin running this week", "targets comeback in a month", etc., are not positive things to hear about your speed burner RB. My guess would be Tice and the Vikes are seriously looking at a possible long-term replacement, and it appears OSmith will be getting the chance to prove himself....just in case.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

re:

Postby Scania22 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:50 pm

can anyone else confirm this report?

I'd love to be able to plug Onterrio in this weekend. Willy Green has earned a nice spot on the bench.
Scania22

Friendliness: %

Postby hawksfan896 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:02 pm

Oct 1--Vikings' head coach Mike Tice told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that rookie running back Onterrio Smith's role will continue to grow and he will split time with Moe Williams against the Falcons this Sunday.

He's been getting about half the caries now, so this certainly looks good for Smith owners.
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby senseiosin » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:44 am

I had O.Smith in one league and dumped him after week 3 because he had done nothing and was wasting space. I couldnt see keeping him over Anquain Boldin, Andre Johnson, Hambrick, or Maddox, or starting Todd Heap on his bye just to keep O.Smith. Vikings are RBBC all the way this year, too inconsistent to depend upon but with enough flashes of brilliance from O.Smith, Moe and Bennet to break your heart when they dont perform when you really need them to. Ill take consistency (Hambrick) over a long shot any day.
The only thing we have to fear is.... another injured Denver RB!!!!!!!!
senseiosin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SinCity » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:39 am

kid a wrote:
Cambodian wrote:Is he the future here? I think everyone forgets about a stud coming back named Michael Bennet. He's a top 8 back when healthy. I don't understand all this talk about Smith and Williams...maybe it's just me and Bennet will be traded. I don't know?!?!!?

lol @ stud. That's using the word loosely.

I feel like a broken record stating my opinion on Bennett, but I'll do so again. He's a track star, a speed guy, doesn't rely on moves or power, just speed. He's injury prone and seems to have bad luck in general. He's also coming back from a serious injury, and I doubt you'll see him actually 100% this season.

Onterrio was the best RB out of college this year hands down. At one point he was a projected 1st rounder and after McGahee's injury, 13 NFL teams told Chris Mortenson that they had Onterrio as their #1 back.

Bennett wasn't the best RB the year came out, and he's not the best RB on this roster.

The only knock on Onterrio is his poor ability at picking up the blitz on passing plays, but the man is going to get his shot this week and I predict that he's not going to lose this job.

Since you backed up Onterrio so much and can't reveal your sources(what a load of crap). I think your a lier.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kid a » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:26 am

SinCity wrote:Since you backed up Onterrio so much and can't reveal your sources(what a load of crap). I think your a lier.

Nice. Name calling and slander from a vet on this board.

Anyways, I can't reveal my sources because it's not something I read on the net. I can't post a link.

My source is a Vikings fan ("insider" if you use the term loosely) that I correspond with who heard this on the radio today and sent it to my inbox.

Should I not have posted this without further proof? That's debatable, but I thought I'd give a quick heads up to my fellow cafe readers because I totally and completely trust this source.

But thanks for your valuable insight on this matter. I guess because I've been a huge Onterrio guy that anything I have to offer in his favor is a "lie".
Last edited by kid a on Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk