Clarett gets 7 1/2 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clarett gets 7 1/2 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

Clarett gets 7 1/2 years

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:03 pm

Maurice Clarett plead guilty and received a 7 1/2 year sentence for his misdeeds. He can apply for release after 3 1/2 years but they figure he'll probably do in excess of 4 years before he gets out. What a wasted life!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/19/sport ... arett.html
Last edited by stomperrob on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gnu314 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:18 pm

Thank god, hopefully we'll stop hearing about him now.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:31 pm

Gnu314 wrote:Thank god, hopefully we'll stop hearing about him now.

Yeh, he won't be making the news anymore unless he's in a sequel to The Longest Yard. :-D
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Infidel » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:56 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Gnu314 wrote:Thank god, hopefully we'll stop hearing about him now.

Yeh, he won't be making the news anymore unless he's in a sequel to The Longest Yard. :-D

I beg to differ. What's the O/U on when we read about him having contacted AIDS? I am guessing about 14 mths.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:18 pm

Ya'll should cool it a bit. Have you read the ESPN article about the call the night Clarett was arrested?

I feel sorry for Clarett. Really, really sorry. There's tons of idiots who play in the NFL who have no better sense than him (and, I'm sure, tons of people who read this board who have no better sense than him) but through various quirks of fate, he's about as low as he can get.

Sure, he squandered talent and fame. But realistically, his one big mistake was the filing of the fake insurance claim. He doesn't do that and all this other nonsense gets headlines but he's still in the NFL at this point, plea bargaining it away for some kind of community service. And he's not running to an apparent shootout to protect his daughter from the Israeli Mafia. And he's not heading to the slammer for 7+.

There's an old saying that as you watch someone go to the gallows, you should think, "There, but for the Grace of God, go I." Humility and compassion are never gaudy to put on.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Matthias wrote:Ya'll should cool it a bit. Have you read the ESPN article about the call the night Clarett was arrested?

I feel sorry for Clarett. Really, really sorry. There's tons of idiots who play in the NFL who have no better sense than him (and, I'm sure, tons of people who read this board who have no better sense than him) but through various quirks of fate, he's about as low as he can get.

Sure, he squandered talent and fame. But realistically, his one big mistake was the filing of the fake insurance claim. He doesn't do that and all this other nonsense gets headlines but he's still in the NFL at this point, plea bargaining it away for some kind of community service. And he's not running to an apparent shootout to protect his daughter from the Israeli Mafia. And he's not heading to the slammer for 7+.

There's an old saying that as you watch someone go to the gallows, you should think, "There, but for the Grace of God, go I." Humility and compassion are never gaudy to put on.

I agree with you on some level, but not completely. The one thing that I would like to add to this is that everybody gave up on him. Tressel dismissed him after the championship. The NFL got rid of him without giving him much of a chance after he left OSU. The fact is, right after the fake insurance claim, he should have laid low, done his punishment, and gotten on with his life, or at least what was left of it at that point. I've had mixed feelings about him the whole way as to whether or not to feel sorry for him, but on some level I definatley do. Hopefully after he gets out of his extended period of time in jail, he will at least be able to live a semi-normal life with his family. But the one thing he must do is avoid the media completely when he gets out. THe more high profile his life gets, the worse off he is. I truly think that, with the help of his family, or at least the family he his (such as his daughter), he can make something of his life in 8 years when he gets out of jail. For his sake, I hope he does, and I really hope that people lay off of him, and let him live his life when he gets out of jail.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:56 pm

Matthias wrote:Ya'll should cool it a bit. Have you read the ESPN article about the call the night Clarett was arrested?

Yes, we're all familiar with what he was doing on the night in question - it was posted here in it's entirety and was widely reported in the media. As for your final statement - I have to disagree - I and many others here have been faced with decisions in our lives where we could have have chased the "fast" buck or the "easy" money or gone down the wrong road but chose not to, instead choosing to take the more difficult, but straight and narrow route - to work hard for everything we have and not to place our family in harm's way as he did with his criminal assosiations. That being said, I do feel a certain amount of pity for him and moreso for his family, but he made his bed and now he must lay in it.
stomperrob

Postby Howie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Maybe he can be in the sequel to Gridiron Gang.
Howie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:13 pm

stomperrob wrote:

Yes, we're all familiar with what he was doing on the night in question - it was posted here in it's entirety and was widely reported in the media. As for your final statement - I have to disagree - I and many others here have been faced with decisions in our lives where we could have have chased the "fast" buck or the "easy" money or gone down the wrong road but chose not to, instead choosing to take the more difficult, but straight and narrow route - to work hard for everything we have and not to place our family in harm's way as he did with his criminal assosiations. That being said, I do feel a certain amount of pity for him and moreso for his family, but he made his bed and now he must lay in it.

Stomperrob, the projection of your values onto the decisions that someone else makes doesn't work. Clarett made terrible decisions, and no doubt as I stand here I would have made different ones. Not doing U-turns comes to mind.
Football, mostly the NCAA, failed him as much as he failed football. It was his one escape, the work hard to get ahead decision you would have chosen. The NCAA turns it's back on athletes who aren't smart enough to fake there way through college courses. They reap the revenues earned from skills that have nothing to do with the courses they are forced to take. So you end up with Claretts of the world getting caught and forced out. The NCAA bedpartner, the NFL, buckled to the NCAA's wishes that their sacred student athletes be bound to school until they're 20. To protect these kids who couldn't possibly hold up to the NFL. Okay for them to go out and compete against juniors and seniors who are plenty big enough to inflict NFL style damage on these kids. So why do they let them play as Frosh? Sorry ranting.

Bottom line is Clarett is limited on many levels. His best chance out was through football and they didn't want him because he couldn't conform to scholastic, then societal standards.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:21 am

shanahan will take him in the 4th in 2014.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk