Clarett gets 7 1/2 years - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clarett gets 7 1/2 years

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Bowie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:49 pm

moochman wrote:It wasn't Clarett's fault. He played by the rules Ohio State laid out before him, but somone blew the whistle and the student athlete paid for it.

No. The rules are common knowledge in college. DO YOUR OWN WORK. Clarett chose ot to follow those rules.

moochman wrote:Do you think if nobody had come forward that OSU would have kicked him out?

If no one blew the whistle on Clarett, he would obviously not have been kicked out. He would have gotten away with his cheating. Do you think he should have gotten away with it? Why? Plenty of people write their own papers in college, you know.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:42 am

Bowie wrote:
moochman wrote:It wasn't Clarett's fault. He played by the rules Ohio State laid out before him, but somone blew the whistle and the student athlete paid for it.

No. The rules are common knowledge in college. DO YOUR OWN WORK. Clarett chose ot to follow those rules.

moochman wrote:Do you think if nobody had come forward that OSU would have kicked him out?

If no one blew the whistle on Clarett, he would obviously not have been kicked out. He would have gotten away with his cheating. Do you think he should have gotten away with it? Why? Plenty of people write their own papers in college, you know.

You do understand that it was Ohio State that let Clarett into their school and that it was a faculty member that helped him cheat, right? If that isn't setting a standard, or rule, what is. Clarett isn't what they call book smart. But he was a fine RB. OSU didn't mind that he was dumb as long as he could help them win a title.
I don't know what happened to make the whistle blower come out, but when she(?) did OSU had no choice but to dispose of Clarett and wash their hands of the whole mess. Which the NCAA allowed very easily, I might add.

As for why I think he should have gotten away with it. That cuts right to the crux of my point of view. I would rather see Clarett on the field on Sundays than in prison now or an alley in 4 years. Are you going to tell me now that we are all better off that he is a convict instead of a football player?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Bowie » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:26 am

moochman wrote:You do understand that it was Ohio State that let Clarett into their school and that it was a faculty member that helped him cheat, right?

Yup. That faculty member should have been fired when Clarett was tossed.

moochman wrote:As for why I think he should have gotten away with it. That cuts right to the crux of my point of view. I would rather see Clarett on the field on Sundays than in prison now or an alley in 4 years. Are you going to tell me now that we are all better off that he is a convict instead of a football player?

Someone more deserving now has his roster spot. I have no problem with that.

Also, getting thrown out of OSU didn't force Clarett to cruise around with a bunch of guns. This isn't an either or situation. If he had kept in shape, stayed out of trouble, and checked his attitude at the door, he would probably still be in the NFL (or at least the CFL).
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby josebach » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Before the insurance scam even happened, Clarett publicly bashed Ohio State because they wouldn't buy him a plane ticket to go to a friend's funeral. What Clarett failed to mention is that OSU told him they would reimburse him for the ticket after paperwork was filled out and that paying for the ticket up front was a NCAA violation. This of course didn't stop Clarett from going on National television and blasting OSU.

He also, if you remember, declared on National television that winning the National Championship "meant nothing" to him. I don't blame OSU the slightes bit for cutting him loose. Maurice Clarett has one person to blame... himself.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:19 pm

Bowie wrote:
moochman wrote:You do understand that it was Ohio State that let Clarett into their school and that it was a faculty member that helped him cheat, right?

Yup. That faculty member should have been fired when Clarett was tossed.

moochman wrote:As for why I think he should have gotten away with it. That cuts right to the crux of my point of view. I would rather see Clarett on the field on Sundays than in prison now or an alley in 4 years. Are you going to tell me now that we are all better off that he is a convict instead of a football player?

Someone more deserving now has his roster spot. I have no problem with that.

Also, getting thrown out of OSU didn't force Clarett to cruise around with a bunch of guns. This isn't an either or situation. If he had kept in shape, stayed out of trouble, and checked his attitude at the door, he would probably still be in the NFL (or at least the CFL).

Do you think that faculty member did that without the knowledge of the Admin and coaches at OSU? Of course they knew, how do you think Clarett met her? Since they knew and were relatively unpunished, it still goes on. Just as it did before Clarett came along.

In regards to you other response, I think we are speaking different languages. I'll take a person being a football player over a prisoner any day. The time he would have had in football could have changed his life for the better. The time without football hasn't helped him.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:27 pm

moochman wrote:Do you think that faculty member did that without the knowledge of the Admin and coaches at OSU? Of course they knew, how do you think Clarett met her? Since they knew and were relatively unpunished, it still goes on. Just as it did before Clarett came along.

I don't know who knew, and I don't pretend to. Did some individuals give Clarett the oportunity to cheat? Obviously. Clarett was the one that cheated, however.

If someone offers me the oportunity to do the wrong thing, I am still responsible if I take them up on it.

moochman wrote:In regards to you other response, I think we are speaking different languages. I'll take a person being a football player over a prisoner any day. The time he would have had in football could have changed his life for the better. The time without football hasn't helped him.

Clarett deserves to be in jail. If he were playing football today in spite of his actions, it would sicken me.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Crippler » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:48 pm

moochman wrote:
Bowie wrote:
moochman wrote:Football, mostly the NCAA, failed him as much as he failed football... His best chance out was through football and they didn't want him because he couldn't conform to scholastic, then societal standards.

Lots of people make it in life without football. He had an amazing opportunity that many would kill for and squandered it. Feel bad for his family, sure, but Clarett dug his own grave. The implication that scholastic and societal standards are to blame for Clarett's not meeting scholastic and societal standards is absurd.

My point was not that society failed Clarett, though it can be argued, but that the NFL in wanting players without rap sheets didn't exactly bend backwards to allow Clarett into the NFL. He clearly was physically mature enough to compete in the league. But image is more important to the NFL than the game at times. They would rather turn their back on a player that may have helped the league be more competitive because he is shadey.

And as for the lots of people make it without football, that's true. That's also missing my point. Lots of people spend large parts of their life in jail. Some of them avoid prison becuase they found something they were suited to. For Clarett it seems football was his gift. But it was taken away from him. See how good that worked out?

So which served Clarett, the NFL, and society better? Letting him compete in football or barring him from football? Early results aren't good.

Why should the NFL bend over backwards to let someone like Clarett play? Sure, he is physically gifted, but thats not the only thing important in the NFL. A team needs players with good attitudes and work ethic, players who can be leaders on the field and in the locker room. The NFL would rather have role-models for kids to look up to, not trouble makers.

Good for the NFL. Maybe they realize that making the league 'more competitive' isnt the most important thing. If anything, by 'turning their back' on Clarett, they have encouraged kids to take a different path than he did.

There is a point where a person must take responsibility for their own actions. Clarett had been given many breaks and opportunities to turn his life around. Over and over, he chose to throw those chances out the window. The consequences of his own actions and decisions finally caught up with him.

moochman wrote:I'll take a person being a football player over a prisoner any day. The time he would have had in football could have changed his life for the better. The time without football hasn't helped him.

I fail to see your logic in this response. I firmly believe that the time he spends in prison will have a much greater effect on his life than 'time he would have had in football'. He will have plenty of time to turn his life around when he is finally held accountable for his actions.

What do you think is a better way to rehabilitate someone? By holding them accountable for the choices that they have made, or by constantly giving them breaks and free rides with no consequences?

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby citybirds27 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:05 pm

I also feel really, really sorry for him
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:05 pm

Do you guys understand that there was a real possibility that Clarett wouldn't have turned into a felon if he would have been able to do the one thing he could do well that was legal: Play football.

Going from that premise he may have matured in his time in football and been a productive member of society. So paying for his crime is a mute point, since there would have been no felony to pay for.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:22 pm

lets not forget how the NFL did him before this all happened, originally said he could be in the league then changed their minds...that was completely wrong how they did him...
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk