Time for some serious Travis Henry talk... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Time for some serious Travis Henry talk...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Time for some serious Travis Henry talk...

Postby Warpigs » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:43 am

We've all speculated about Henry and some people are going crazy to bail on him, so I thought I should start a thread where we really break things down on his current situation.

Firstly, I had very high hopes for Henry (and still do). I gambled very much on him early in the season when I traded Manning and Stephen Davis for Henry and Plummer. I knew Henry was a tough back that would carry the load. I also had read that Buffalo was going to commit to the run as much as possible. Considering how improved their defense was, I knew they'd be able in most cases to run up a lead and let Henry run out the clock each week. He also had Willis McGahee to push him later in the season -- so he'd stay focused and determined to produce at all costs. I saw Henry as a potential Top-5 back and still think he can accomplish that (especially with all the injuries to other stars).

Looking at our current situation, Henry has a painful injury that he will do anything possible to overcome. He knows that McGahee is potentially several weeks away from possibly getting playing time, and if he doesn't start to produce soon, he will fall behind in the charts. He was set on playing last week, but was held out last minute. That gave him another week to heal, and he supposedly is mending at an above-average rate. He has two very nice matchups the next two weeks with Cincy this week and the Jets next week. I think he sees that and knows that he has to do everything possible to get on the field and cash in on the opportunity.

From a fantasy sense, what can we expect?? I'm thinking that Henry's increasing urgency to perform will translate into some big numbers really soon. Of course, the flip side of the coin is that this urgency forces him to come back too soon and get re-injured -- or he puts too much pressure on himself and screws up in the long run. Ultimately, however, I'm optimistic that he will play this week and put up OK numbers, and then will be even more of a fantasy asset next week against the Jets.

On top of the long-range worries, however, I'm playing a very good team this week and need a win badly. I traded earlier in the week for Garrison Hearst, knowing his potential and seeing that he's playing the laughable Lions while Barlow is healing from a neck strain. Hearst could have a big week. Meanwhile, I'm thinking Henry will do everything in his power to come back and man-handle the porous Cincy run defense. However, if Buffalo runs up a lead, will Henry lose carries to Burns as they attempt to run down the clock? Obviously coaching-wise I'd do that to avoid more injury on my star RB -- Henry on the other hand will want to play at all costs to produce stats to keep McGahee at bay.

Anyway, what do you all think about Henry long-range (and also for this week)?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby T-DIDDY » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:22 am

I have him and I tried to make all kinds of trades this week. I really don't feel comfortable with him on my team. I too loved him going into the season. He did have 5 touchdown in 2 games, but no yards at all. I've only got to see him play once, and he looked horrible. He couldn't run, was dropping passes and then he got injured. I would feel much better trading him, but nobody in my league wants him. I really hope he comes around, because he is staying on my team. I can't get anything for him. I still have a good team without him, but with a good Henry, my team would be unstoppable. As for this week, I really don't see him doing that well, but he will get the start. I am giving him one last chance.
T-DIDDY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby big shot » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:25 am

i have him on my team so i need him to come around, but warpigs you got ripped off big time
big shot
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:31 am

I'm kicking myself bigtime, b/c some guy offered me Davis for Henry straight up after week 1.... At the time it was laughable, but now I would do anything to get that deal again... I think Henry suffers from having a crappy O-line... That being said, my RB situation is shaky at best, and I NEED Henry to turn it around, so for both our sakes, Warpigs, I hope you are right....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:15 pm

I do think that Henry will bounce back. It is human nature to fear the uncertain, and there's a lot about Henry that's uncertain. However, remember what he did in week one versus a fairly tight run defense in New England: 126 total yards and two TDs. Yes -- he did little against Jacksonville in week two -- but then again the Jaguars have been consistently (and surprisingly) good against the run. I've heard a lot of people say that LT may struggle against the Jags -- so if he's allowed to struggle one game, so can Henry. Overall, if Ricky Williams had started the same way Henry has, you wouldn't see half the concern or uproar or people running to dump him for second-rate backs. He was a top back in week one. Had an off game in week two, got injured in week three, sat out to make sure the injury is healed through week four and now will play the Bengals with McGahee breathing down his neck in a couple weeks. I think the opportunity is there for Henry to bounce back in a big way. Ultimately, how much will McGahee actually take away from Henry? Short of a miracle (for him), not much. It takes two years for the normal RB to bounce back from the same injury that afflicted McGahee. Jamal Lewis and Edgerrin James can attest to that. McGahee was injured nine months ago. Ultimately, a good gauge on Henry will be determined over the next two weeks when (if) he can play against the Bengals and then when he's lining up against the Jets.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:19 pm

I've actually thought about giving up Bennett for McGahee, what do you think about that move? It'd give me solid insurance for Henry, but I'd lose my insurance for Moe....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:21 pm

I drafted 1st Henry in the Cafe Yahoo league, and William Green in the 2nd rd. Mostly because I have Ahman Green on my money league, and it's exhausting to have duplicate players in both leagues should problems occur.

Of course hindsight is 20/20...however I don't think Henry is without value, and I'm still willing to give him a shot.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:32 pm

Plindsey,

Depends on whether or not you have a keeper league or not. Bennett will come back this season and play. He will have somewhat of a fantasy impact later this season. How Minnesota will use him is anyone's guess, especially with Moe doing such a nice job of filling in for him and Onterrio Smith waiting in the wings. McGahee hasn't taken a hit yet. He's got several things against him from the start: 1. the fact that his injury normally takes a long time to fully heal, 2. he's a rookie with NO experience yet in the NFL, 3. Henry should be able to play more than well enough to hold McGahee off this season, 4. the Buffalo O line isn't looking all that stellar yet.

Ultimately, I'd find a way to grab both. I don't think either will be that big of an impact this season, but then again you never know. McGahee definitely has the talent -- he wouldn't have been drafted so high if he didn't -- but ii it his time to shine? I don't think so -- not yet.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:49 pm

OK, well, I think I'll have to hold off on McGahee until Marshall is back... Then I'll dump Gordon for him, if he is still available... Thanks for the advice....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:54 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:I've actually thought about giving up Bennett for McGahee, what do you think about that move? It'd give me solid insurance for Henry, but I'd lose my insurance for Moe....

Do it. Especially if it is a keeper league.

I am in a keeper league and I NEED Henry. I can't trade, so I hop they do. (the Bills)
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk