Do you guys prefer smaller or larger leagues??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Do you guys prefer smaller or larger leagues???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mrblitz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:57 pm

I like 10 teamers. But 12 are ok too. No 14's that's too heavy.
Image


Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 12770
Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Having a coffee at the fantasy cafe.

Postby upslogger19 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:11 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
BigMusky wrote:8 team leagues require less skill? You obviously have never played in a competitive one. Sure if you play with a bunch of idiots you get some incredibally stacked teams, but same thing happens in all league sizes. The only difference in 8 team leagues are there are no completely garbage teams that really have no chance of winning.

Here is the worst roster in our league this week:

QB C. Pennington
WR Ro. Williams
WR L. Coles
WR T. Houshmandzadeh
RB E. James
RB W. Parker
TE B. Watson
K D. Akers
DEF Pittsburgh

He also has Steve Smith and Delhomme so injuries still kill your team. On his bench he also has Chester Taylor, Jamal Lewis

You can see that even though he has solid players at ever position, without super stars he has no chance of winning



right, but honestly, what skill does it take to decide who u want to start at rb willie parker or chester taylor?


try 14 teams, and when you only have 2 backs on your team, lets say rudi johnson and maroney, and you have to prepare for a bye week or injury, you have to search for players like gado, rayne, or work some kind of trade or draft really well...

its not like u cant have a superstar team in 14 man leagues, u just have to draft well and always be a step ahead on trades and sleepers...


but i guess it may be me, but personally i dont want 4 rb's on my team who all will make the probowl, give me 2 strong backs, and 2 backups like marion barber and tatum bell, guys who split or backup themselves in case something happens, you win a larger league that has 12-14 teams, shows you dont just know pro bowlers and get lucky, im sure its not hard picking a rb between portis, mcgahee, LJ, and westbrook every week, my little sister could pick the names she likes the best and end up winning, i want the league where you do your homework when you find out davis is hurt all year, or grab jennings and hold him because he is the starter, not just have a bunch of #1's and get lucky




I guess we will agree to disagree. It IS just as hard because you have to decide on who to play based on matchups. Also, the teams you are playing have good squads too so its not like you can just choose anyone (your sister example) and expect to win. With a 14 team league, it hardly takes an skill to pick your starters because you will be lucky to have 2 or 3 backs that start in the NFL on your team. So you dont have much to decide at all really. Most of the work and skill in a deep league is WW work. The skill in smaller leagues is playing matchups. Both leagues take a lot of skill and time to win, its just a different kind of skill.
No drafts yet.
upslogger19
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 257
Joined: 7 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do you guys prefer smaller or larger leagues???

Postby upslogger19 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:16 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
upslogger19 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:i just really dont like the 8 man leagues, doesnt take much skill or knowledge when your top 4 backs are LT, portis, mcgahee and parker along with manning, fitz, chambers and TO....






ummmmm, to get a team like that you would need to be in a 4 man league.


your roster in your sig isnt too far from the made up one i posted, with your wr's and qb, and also who u have at RB it wasnt too far stretched...

nothing wrong with either, but i dont want to start three #1 wr's every week...mine are chambers, terry glenn, and antonio bryant, and my only backups to them are chad jackson and travis taylor, so for majority you stick with your money players and just have insurance for them or for bye weeks...



Well, my squad is by far the best in our league. I drafted from the 7 spot and this is how it went:

1. R. Brown
2. Marvin Harrison
3. C Chambers
4. R Moss
5. McNabb
6. Chester Taylor
7. Gore

And just this week I traded Chester ad Moss for Steve Smith and Dillon. So I made some good draft choices and benefited from a trade that I was able to make happen. So that took a lot of skill, IMO, to build a team like that.


In your example, all 8 of those guys you listed would be gone by the middle of the 3rd round in a 10 man draft.
Last edited by upslogger19 on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No drafts yet.
upslogger19
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 257
Joined: 7 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigMusky » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:21 pm

even in an 8 team league, Gado was a waiver wire pickup that helped me towards the playoffs when TO took a flight and Julius Jones got hurt, Kevin Jones busted, and someone else got hurt. So it still requires the same skill. I play 12 team leagues as well. I did one with the first year of the Great Debates league and it was fricken hard because everyone was a great owner. My first pick Duece got hurt, so I only finished 6th. But most 12 team leagues are way to easy to dominate because I do know how to draft and comb the waiver wire. In an 8 team league I still identify those players, but I dont enough bench room....so I have to prioritize them and try and guess which one is least likely to explose that week and is someone I can add later. There are whole other demensions you get into.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1258
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Postby jnjtk555 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:57 pm

i prefer 10 and 12 team leagues, it seems that the most skill is required on draft day, those that do their homework prosper or put themselves into a position to do so....after that its just making a good decision and whos gonna be the most fortunate week after week.....but i must say that a different kind of skill is required in 6 team league as im 0-2 in such a league....and i was certain i had a good team>>
QB-D Culpepper, C Pennington, C Palmer, D Bledsoe
RB-S JAX, R Brown, W Parker, W Dunn, D Foster, D Williams
M Bell
WR-M Harrison, C Johnson, M Jones, M Colston, A Bryant
TE-B Watson
K-J Feely
D/ST-Cinncinati, NE

Guess i need to work on my decision making skills.... :,-(
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not to thine understanding"
jnjtk555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 327
Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:41 pm

upslogger19 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:
BigMusky wrote:8 team leagues require less skill? You obviously have never played in a competitive one. Sure if you play with a bunch of idiots you get some incredibally stacked teams, but same thing happens in all league sizes. The only difference in 8 team leagues are there are no completely garbage teams that really have no chance of winning.

Here is the worst roster in our league this week:

QB C. Pennington
WR Ro. Williams
WR L. Coles
WR T. Houshmandzadeh
RB E. James
RB W. Parker
TE B. Watson
K D. Akers
DEF Pittsburgh

He also has Steve Smith and Delhomme so injuries still kill your team. On his bench he also has Chester Taylor, Jamal Lewis

You can see that even though he has solid players at ever position, without super stars he has no chance of winning



right, but honestly, what skill does it take to decide who u want to start at rb willie parker or chester taylor?


try 14 teams, and when you only have 2 backs on your team, lets say rudi johnson and maroney, and you have to prepare for a bye week or injury, you have to search for players like gado, rayne, or work some kind of trade or draft really well...

its not like u cant have a superstar team in 14 man leagues, u just have to draft well and always be a step ahead on trades and sleepers...


but i guess it may be me, but personally i dont want 4 rb's on my team who all will make the probowl, give me 2 strong backs, and 2 backups like marion barber and tatum bell, guys who split or backup themselves in case something happens, you win a larger league that has 12-14 teams, shows you dont just know pro bowlers and get lucky, im sure its not hard picking a rb between portis, mcgahee, LJ, and westbrook every week, my little sister could pick the names she likes the best and end up winning, i want the league where you do your homework when you find out davis is hurt all year, or grab jennings and hold him because he is the starter, not just have a bunch of #1's and get lucky




I guess we will agree to disagree. It IS just as hard because you have to decide on who to play based on matchups. Also, the teams you are playing have good squads too so its not like you can just choose anyone (your sister example) and expect to win. With a 14 team league, it hardly takes an skill to pick your starters because you will be lucky to have 2 or 3 backs that start in the NFL on your team. So you dont have much to decide at all really. Most of the work and skill in a deep league is WW work. The skill in smaller leagues is playing matchups. Both leagues take a lot of skill and time to win, its just a different kind of skill.


You say playing matchups in deeper 14 team doesn't exist? I think your lack of experience speaks volumes here. In several of my deeper leagues you have a choice of lineups which include several variations like 1 RB and 4 WR or 3 RB and 2 TE. And with 50 man rosters you have to look at matchups and decide first which variation to use. Believe me, I'm not even scratching the surface here with these larger deeper leagues.
Image

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2523
Joined: 5 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tucson Arizona

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:01 pm

I far prefer larger leagues. Especially if the other owners actually know what they are doing. The more difficult it is to put together a good team, the better, I say. I'm in two 14-team leagues, and the competition is stiff, to say the least. Sure, there's maybe one or two bonehead owners, but for the most part, it's a lot of fun strategizing against the other GM's when they actually know what they are doing. What fun is it, being in an 8-teamer when there's so much value out there to pick from every week? It's a lot less strategy when there's less competition out there.
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14333
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 7609

Re: Do you guys prefer smaller or larger leagues???

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:14 pm

upslogger19 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:
upslogger19 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:i just really dont like the 8 man leagues, doesnt take much skill or knowledge when your top 4 backs are LT, portis, mcgahee and parker along with manning, fitz, chambers and TO....






ummmmm, to get a team like that you would need to be in a 4 man league.


your roster in your sig isnt too far from the made up one i posted, with your wr's and qb, and also who u have at RB it wasnt too far stretched...

nothing wrong with either, but i dont want to start three #1 wr's every week...mine are chambers, terry glenn, and antonio bryant, and my only backups to them are chad jackson and travis taylor, so for majority you stick with your money players and just have insurance for them or for bye weeks...



Well, my squad is by far the best in our league. I drafted from the 7 spot and this is how it went:

1. R. Brown
2. Marvin Harrison
3. C Chambers
4. R Moss
5. McNabb
6. Chester Taylor
7. Gore

And just this week I traded Chester ad Moss for Steve Smith and Dillon. So I made some good draft choices and benefited from a trade that I was able to make happen. So that took a lot of skill, IMO, to build a team like that.


In your example, all 8 of those guys you listed would be gone by the middle of the 3rd round in a 10 man draft.



well i guess to each is own....all im saying is id much rather play a team in a 14 man league due to the fact that lets say he doesnt watch football that much, or get into detail with it, he could watch 5 games a year and know who to start from your roster, in larger leagues you have to draft your backs early, and yes your backups may not be starters for the actual team, i have marion barber on my bench now, but if someone goes down, i plug him in and hope i gett what points i can, much rather do that because its alot tougher scouring for a backup rb in those leagues instead of when portis gets hurt you know you have willie parker to throw in....


takes the impact of injuries and preparing for them away like that, if someone has a major injury in our league then they better have planned for it, otherwise they are in trouble...so they need to make a trade, or look for who the next big sleeper is....cotchery, colston, jennings, chad jackson, all players like this are gone in our league and u had to be very quick to jump on them, by the time you see yahoo analyst telling you who to pick up, and sportscenter, all those players are long gone by then...you have to do the work yourself...

I went to go get chad jackson last week because i saw he was back from injury and would be starting, i had knew the WHOLE week before to jump on him, gabriel, caldwell, because branch was gone brady still hadnt found his go to guy, so during sundays i stay by the tv and on nfl.com stat tracker looking ahead for guys who could make an impact, i grabbed jackson before the game and he ended up starting, now i have a starter this week since terry glenn is out...


that happened because i did my homework, scoured the WW and found talent out there....im sorry but that just wouldnt be the same if terry glenn had a bye and i plugged in anquan boldin off my bench all in one move without doing any kind of work...


i know in smaller leagues u play matchups, if u have harrison, wayne, chambers, holt, lee evans yes u have to judge who will have the biggest game and make them your starters, not saying thats NOT hard, but id much rather have 3 solid starters week in and week out, and go and look for my talent on my own, i do my homework week in and week out and i like to be rewarded for it, puts me above the rest when i do it, if im playing a manager who doesnt know much about football i dont want him rewarded because he's stockpiled full of talent on his team and makes his adjustments accordingly...if he wants to run with just 2 rb's and no backups, let him suffer and take a loss when a bye week comes or injury instead of trying to guess which pro bowler makes the biggest day
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:30 pm

I prefer 12 Teams, but I'm in an 8-Teamer this year as well. (by necessity, new league of Family and Friends, 8 slots was all I could get filled by Draft Day. Hopefully in '07 we can bump it to 10 or 12)
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:15 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:I prefer 12 Teams, but I'm in an 8-Teamer this year as well. (by necessity, new league of Family and Friends, 8 slots was all I could get filled by Draft Day. Hopefully in '07 we can bump it to 10 or 12)



those are the best though, when you know everyone, bragging rights are important lol...
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:59 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact