Postby zombiez » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:56 am

not so sure about running two backs from the same team....hmmmmmm
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:32 am

With the Vikes O-Line, any RB getting the ball enough could get 100 yards. It doesn't surprise me, but I wouldn't expect it to be a long term move unless the results are VERY encouraging.

At 4-0 with Daunte out, and probably healthy enough to play in an emergency, it is a good time to play Onterrio alot. If he doesn't pick up the blitz and Frerotte gets flattened, it's not a big deal.

I've mentioned a few times I've read Tice doesn't want to use Moe as a feature back for too long because he is worried about him getting beaten up. This is a good chance for Onterrio to show he can contribute without risking a whole lot. If he struggles with hiis blocking assignments don't expect to see this continue with Daunte at QB.

If he looks good, he could be a decent option, but still Moe will get the short carries, and Daunte will still sneak his share of TD's rushing. He's still a risk, but it might finally be time he earns a starting spot.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Moe Williams

Postby blueonion » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:36 am

I am not sold that Mike Tice will use Moe Williams in goal line situations. I know he used Moe Williams last year but I think that was more of a product of Michael Bennett being so small and not capable of being physical enough.

I would not be suprised if Onterrio Smith of Doug Chapman win the starting job and Moe does not get goal line carries. Moe is a team player and he really does not care about touchdowns.

This is complete speculation on my part and I put the odds at 50\50 that Moe Williams gets goal line carries if Michael Bennett is not the starting running back.

the BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: Onterio Smith UPDATE!!!

Postby kid a » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:51 am

MN Rube wrote:Hey guys!
I have an Onterio Smith Update for everyone.

Most Vikings fans know that Coach Mike Tice has a weekly radio show on The Vikings Radio Network (http://www.kfan.com) at 6pm on Wednesdays. Last night (10/1) Tice praised O.Smith and made the following statement..."We expect Onterio to gain over 100 yards this week against Atlanta!" ...Paul Allen (the radio voice of the MN Vikings, and popular MN radio talk show host) was as surprised by that comment as I'm sure most of the listeners were. During this 1 hour show, Paul Allen questioned Coach Tice about 3 more times about that statement. Each time Coach Tice was questioned, he stood by his comment and even repeated himself... "I predict that Onterio will get his first 100 yard game this weekend in Atlanta".

Tice also talked about how beat-up Moe Williams was getting because of all the big hits he takes.

I still think that M.Bennett will get the starting job back if/when he gets healthy, but until then, I thinkt hat O.Smith will begin to get a lot more involved in the offense. But Moe Williams will most likely continue to get the goaline carries if he stays healthy.

If Onterio Smith is available in your league, and if you have room on your roster, I would suggest picking him up. He may become good trade bate. i don't think he'll be super consistant, but he should have a couple good games.

Coach Tice's show can be heard on the internet at http://www.kfan.com every Wednesday from 6-7pm Central time.

Oh really?? :)
kid a
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby GYEAH » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:16 pm

great info MN RUBE. i'm glad you got the info out early. i picked up moe the day you posted this thread. and sorry ass cbs sportsline just put the info out TODAY!!! thanks for the heads up.
GYEAH

Friendliness: %

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:39 pm

Great, but I dropped him last week, and couldn't get him back...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:29 pm

I hope O. Smith does well this wk. he's on my starting lineup.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:29 pm

My guess is that when Bennett comes back, O. Smith and Moe will rotate at the goal line unless Smith fumbles a lot in the interim. Last week v. SF, Moe and "O" were in a rotation around the goal line. On the series O scored, Moe ran the ball on 1st and 10 from the 11 down to the 3. Then O came in and scored. As O is bigger than Bennett but faster than Moe, I see him rotating in and out with Bennett between the 20s as well. It will be interesting to see how O progresses vs. good teams and how he does when the spotlight is on him.
Goose
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk