Ben Watson???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ben Watson????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ben Watson????

Postby the rusty trombones » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:08 pm

I drafted him as my starting TE this year and his backup is Ben Troupe :~(

Is this guy gonna come around or what? with the great preseason and all the hype I took confidence in drafting him but now I am not so sure....... and the waivers are very scarce with TEs

I guess he has been SOMEWHAT decent but I am very dissapointed thus far

whats you're guys opinions?
the rusty trombones
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Hes got 89 yards in two games this year. Sure he doesnt have a TD yet but if he continues on this pace he'll have 720 yards recieving which is pretty good for a TE especially one that you can get in the LATE rounds.

As the season goes on and Brady gets more comfortable with his new recievers i would expect Watson's numbers to get better. I wouldnt be expecting 100 yards and a TD every week though, even if he did catch 11 balls in the first half of a preseason game.... ;-)
Last edited by GreatestShowOnEarth on Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:49 pm

Much like Burleson last year, Watson looked better than he's playing this year. He's a true playmaker, but by the end of pre-season people were talking about him finishing top 5 in TEs. He's not the worst guy to have to rely on, but unless you're stacked with RB and WR depth, you should've gone after someone higher ranked as your #1.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby McPeePants » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:55 pm

i drafted Watson too and he has got a good amount of looks...he was wide open off a TD in the jets game but Brady under threw him. Im hoping he will get his TDs. :-o
McPeePants
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:11 pm

So far Watson has dropped a TD and been underthrown on a TD. I don't think you would be complaining at all if he had converted even one of those attempts. This guy is still a virtual lock for a top10 TE and has an outside shot of landing in the top5 when all is said and done IMO.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby mrblitz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:01 pm

No doubt in my mind he will finish the season as the Patriots leading receiver.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby R00k » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:00 am

I've always had bad luck with any reciever or TE on the Patriots.
Brady just seems to spread the ball around so much.

Watson is for sure one of the most athletically gifted TE's in the NFL.

I think Watson will turn it around and pick up some TD's. I'm just not sure how reliable an option he will be week in week out as a fantasy TE.
R00k
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby michaelavelli » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:08 am

Firstly, I think Watson was going a little too high when his hype reached its apex at the end of the summer.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about him. He hasn't scored yet, but the New England passing offense hasn't been that good yet. It's not like Brady is throwing up 300+ games and Watson isn't getting a piece - the Patriots have been very focused on the run through two weeks playing against two crappy teams.

Also, if you watched the Pats/Jets game last week, you would've seen a play in which Watson got wide open in the end zone and Brady lofted it to him, he was WIDE OPEN, and Kerry Rhodes jumped up out of nowhere and batted the ball down (great player). Brady later admitted that he underthrew the ball just a bit, otherwise Watson would've had his first TD of the season.

So, I mean, if Watson had caught that TD, you wouldn't even consider dropping him. I think that's saying something - so hold on to him, and wait to be rewarded.

You can go ahead and drop troupe though. ;-D
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby beezer » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:50 pm

Watson will be fine. He will be targeted in the red zone all year long. The Pats' offense focuses on throwing to the open receiver. Watson has the better chances to get open against linebackers vs. the shaky WR corp against DB's. The Pats offense is still in a feeling out mode and once Gabriel and Jackson start contributing, that will only help Watson. I will continue starting him.
14 team PPR

QB - Pryor
RB - L. Bell, Wilson, J. Bell, D. Brown
WR - AJ Green, D. Jackson, Amendola, M. Brown, DHB, Beasley, L. Moore
TE - H. Miller
K - Forbath
D - Chiefs, Bears
beezer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 119)

Postby spamnon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:48 pm

he is my starting TE who I grabbed in the 13th round of a 12 team league, so yes his production hasn't been godly yet, but good value for where I grabbed him. heck last year I took gonzo early, like in the 4th round, and he didn't do much better.
I love fantasy football, but I love fantasy life more...http://www.citypixel.com/AM
spamnon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk