E Wilford... Time to buy low or not worth it... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

E Wilford... Time to buy low or not worth it...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yes; he will be fine this yr...
29%
No; stay away... Williams will take the #2 spot
71%

Total votes : 17

Postby Kellys Heroes » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:49 am

M Jones is hurting while Williams is performing Very well... is it time to buy low on Wilford or stay away... He had 7 tds last yr..
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby theimitator » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:50 am

Unless Jones can't go, Wilford isn't a good option because as you mentioned, Williams is doing well...Relatively speaking of course; how many TDs has Lefty thrown? 2?
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby onnestabe » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:55 pm

I said he will be fine, but I said that because of the three WRs, he seems to get the most reps. During that Pittsburgh game, it seemed like all three WRs were getting equal reps in a rotation. Matt Jones is not the clear #1 WR in Jacksonville - at least not in the sense that we care about as fantasy players.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mrblitz » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:28 pm

I say buy low. I still have him as my supersleeper wr. I believe he will begin to take over the number 1 starting this week.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Azrael » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:47 pm

Unless it is a deep league, stay away from him. I didn't vote because I don't think either of the choices apply to my opinion. I don't think he'll be a fine WR this year, nor do I think Williams will take the No. 2 spot. I just don't think Jax is that much of an offensive passing power for him to excel to the point where he is a viable fantasy option. They have a great defense and like to run the ball when they can. Passing the ball is more of a "keep their defense off balance" attack than it is an aggressive scoring attack.

I don't see them having to pass much either. Their defense will keep them in most games and I think they will be ahead alot and therefore, running the ball more.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:55 pm

The guy I would buy low on right now is Byron Leftwich simply because of the WR situation in Jacksonville. They have three different guys that are gonna be major factors in splitting the yards and TDs. This makes Leftwich attractive, in that if he loses one of these guys, he can continue with the same type of production. And even if three different WRs have moderate performances 50-60 yards each, Leftwich can still have a good fantasy performance.
---

Breaking down the WRs, the first thing I see is that Matt Jones is going to be the 1,000/10+ player on this team when all is said and done. I think he is doing about what most people expected him to do up until now, but I feel that the breakout will be felt once he starts getting regularly into the endzone. Right now it is anything but clear, but I feel that the team is setting him up to the clear cut #1 WR by the end of the year.

Reggie Williams is doing a lot more than everyone expected him to at this point. And Wilford is doing less than what most people expected. I really see these two guys' futures affecting each other depending on how they perform. Let me explain:

Figure that Matt Jones is going to get his playing time no matter what happens with Wilford and Williams. His skill set and athletic ability allow him to be used a x-factor type player who can run at the RB/QB/WR. He is the type of guy you are gonna put on the field as much as possible. That really only leaves 1 WR that can even potentially win a full-time position, and Reggie Williams is just playing too well for Wilford to win that slot right now. As it stands right now, it looks to me like:

WR2a- Matt Jones
WR2b- Reggie Williams
WR2c- Ernest Wilford

The Jag's WRs are really a unique situation in that they rotate 3 guys into the 2 starting spots rather than just keeping 2 guys in all the time, and bringing in a 3rd guy in the slot. Kinda similar to what Seattle does (before the Branch signing), but they lack the true #1 in Darrell Jackson. I expect this to work itself out in Matt Jones' favor as the season progresses, and then Wilford and Williams will continue to split time as the season goes on.

Barring an injury to Jones(questionable this week) or Williams, I really don't see Wilford as anything more than a spot starting bench player for fantasy. Simple fact of fantasy, if you are not on the field full time, you are not worth a start.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk