Rush should have mentioned Urlacher - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rush should have mentioned Urlacher

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby lifeform » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:29 am

Zombiez wrote:and of all the aboved mentioned, how many rings do they have>??????hmmmmmmm

You know, Zombiez, if you think that black QBs are inherently inferior to whites, why don't you just say so?

It seems to me that you want to make a statement about the relationship between race & QB success in the NFL, but don't have the balls to stand up & own your opinion. So you just make not-so-subtle implications, so that you can deflect any criticism that might come your way. Kinda like your hero, Rush.

On the flip side, if that's not what you're saying at all, why don't you be more specific about your point?

Either way, why don't you come clean?
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AF » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:35 am

McNabb is overrated if you ask me. However, I don't think it's because he's black. Same with Vick. They are both exciteing QBs to watch but when the game's over and you look at the numbers there are better QBs out there. Really, if the media wanted to hype a QB because he's black they would be much better off going with Culpepper because he is hands down the best all around QB in the league. The guy can throw, and he can run. Sure it doesn't hurt that he has Randy Moss to throw to but alot of credit still has to be given to the guy making the throws. The whole black / white thing is WAY over sencitized in our society now, it's just sad that it still matters so much to so many people. What does it matter what color your skin is? We're all humans aren't we?

Edit: speaking of CPep, why the hell don't you hear more about this guy? The numbers he puts up are awesome but you hear about guys like Garcia, Warner, McNabb, and Vick a ton more than you ever hear about CPep.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby zombiez » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:51 am

No....now you are putting words in my mouth, which is typical for a liberal.....i was refering to the new breed of QB....I personally dont think a scrambleing QB, might be good from a fantasy standpoint, but i dont think you can win the big one with a scrambleing QB......be it black, white, yellow or any other color for that matter, your QB cant be your best running back....McNair doesnt run as much as he used to, and I beleive that has made him a better QB.....but for you to say I am a racist is just funny, you dont even know me dude, several people on here do and know that is just an ignorant remark
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby lifeform » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:11 am

Zombiez wrote:No....now you are putting words in my mouth, which is typical for a liberal.....i was refering to the new breed of QB....I personally dont think a scrambleing QB, might be good from a fantasy standpoint, but i dont think you can win the big one with a scrambleing QB......be it black, white, yellow or any other color for that matter, your QB cant be your best running back....McNair doesnt run as much as he used to, and I beleive that has made him a better QB.....but for you to say I am a racist is just funny, you dont even know me dude, several people on here do and know that is just an ignorant remark

Not putting words in your mouth, "dude", just asking for some clarification is all. In a discussion thread about race, you glibly highlighed the failure of a list of quarterbacks -- all black -- to win a ring. I called you on it, but I did not call you racist. You have assured me that your comments did not have racial implications, and I'll believe you at your word. I'm sure you are a fine, upstanding citizen. No need to get all hyper-sensitive.

If you are indeed saying that scrambling QBs can't win Super Bowls, I'll counter with Steve Young.
lifeform
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AF » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:16 am

omg, are you so blind to see that you are putting words into his mouth? He NEVER not once mentioned race at all. All he was saying is that those QBs havn't won a championship yet. That is all. Nothing more nothing less, just that they havn't won. Seems to me that somebody is a little sensative.

Edit: ok, saw your next post ;-D But anyway, Young was a pocket passer with some running ability. He always looked the throw first and ran as a last resort. These guys mentioned above make up for their lesser passing ability by running more to open up the pass coverage. I don't remember Young getting 5 designed run plays a game.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:28 am

lifeform wrote:If you are indeed saying that scrambling QBs can't win Super Bowls, I'll counter with Steve Young.

Yeah, BUT HE'S WHITE!!!!!!!!! ;-)

I was TOTALLY kidding. We all need to lighten up a bit. It's absurd to think that a black scrambling Quarterback doesn't have the talent or ability to win a Super Bowl. I don't think that's what he was saying at all. With guys like Steve McNair and Daunte Culpepper running around, it's only a matter of time. Same thing goes with coaching. Just ask Gruden. The NFL is so competitive that you have to have at least some luck to make it all the way. With only two or three black coaches and a handful of black scrambling Quarterbacks, it will take some time to reach the Super Bowl, but it'll happen.

Besides, didn't Doug Williams already win a Super Bowl? (Was he a scrambler?... I never saw him play).
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Scramble away

Postby lifeform » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:30 am

AF wrote:omg, are you so blind to see that you are putting words into his mouth? He NEVER not once mentioned race at all. All he was saying is that those QBs havn't won a championship yet. That is all. Nothing more nothing less, just that they havn't won. Seems to me that somebody is a little sensative.

Edit: ok, saw your next post ;-D But anyway, Young was a pocket passer with some running ability. He always looked the throw first and ran as a last resort. These guys mentioned above make up for their lesser passing ability by running more to open up the pass coverage. I don't remember Young getting 5 designed run plays a game.

No worries, AF -- I expect people to call me on it if I'm being less than fair. If my criticism of Zombiez is unjustified, then fire away.

And since this thread has now morphed into a scrambling QB debate, I'll comment on that -- I'd venture to guess that we'll see another scrambling QB win the big game sometime in the next 5 years. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I like the odds.
lifeform
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby lifeform » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:35 am

josebach wrote:
lifeform wrote:If you are indeed saying that scrambling QBs can't win Super Bowls, I'll counter with Steve Young.

Yeah, BUT HE'S WHITE!!!!!!!!! ;-)

I was TOTALLY kidding. We all need to lighten up a bit. It's absurd to think that a black scrambling Quarterback doesn't have the talent or ability to win a Super Bowl. I don't think that's what he was saying at all. With guys like Steve McNair and Daunte Culpepper running around, it's only a matter of time. Same thing goes with coaching. Just ask Gruden. The NFL is so competitive that you have to have at least some luck to make it all the way. With only two or three black coaches and a handful of black scrambling Quarterbacks, it will take some time to reach the Super Bowl, but it'll happen.

Besides, didn't Doug Williams already win a Super Bowl? (Was he a scrambler?... I never saw him play).

(laughing) I was wondering if someone would make that point. You've probably all heard the now-popular Chris Rock bit about the best rapper being white, the best golfer being black, the best player in the NBA being Chinese, etc. Well, it hadn't really occured to me before, but you could add this to the list: the only scrambling QB to win a ring is a white guy.

I was pretty young when Doug Williams won, but as I recall, he was more of a traditional pocket passer.
lifeform
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Scramble away

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:36 am

lifeform wrote:I'd venture to guess that we'll see another scrambling QB win the big game sometime in the next 5 years. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I like the odds.

I like those odds too.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby big shot » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:55 am

Im really confused about this whole post. the point behind mcnabb being hyped up and put on a pedestal because of the media wanting a black quarterback comes from the idea that there were never any great black quarterbacks and it was always considered a white mans position. urlacher is a linebacker, there have been plenty of white people who have dominated at the linebacker position. It is not considered a position dominated by blacks over the years like rb, wr, defensive backs. the whole idea of saying urlacher is overated because he is white makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. I can see the case for sehorn but for urlacher . not at all
big shot
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk