Who to Start? (Strategy) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who to Start? (Strategy)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who to Start? (Strategy)

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:53 pm

I think this could happen to alot of people so curious as to your views on the situation. Lets say you have 2 WRs who are about equal in talent or equal when you factor in schedule and talent for a particular week. You are facing the owner with one of your WRs starting QB starting for that owner.

Would you rather start a WR whos QB is your fantasy opponents QB to esentially cancel out the points or would you rather hope that team does poor and play the different option?
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:06 pm

His QB would have absolutely no bearing on my decision making for my starting lineup. His QB can have an awesome game and your WR, which may be that QB's #1 WR target, could still have 0 points. During the FF regular season, I usually have no idea who my opponent is playing until gameday. And I don't think it matters at all. I always put out my best lineup regardless of my opponent's lineup.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Doesn't it usually work the other way? i.e. you start a QB throwing to their star reciever to cancel him out? Starting a WR just because the opponent has the QB throwing to him is essentially pointless because a QB has more than 1 options to throw to. So, if his QB throws a TD it may not go to your WR. But, if you have the QB whenever his WR gets a TD you must have thrown it.
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:02 pm

I suppose that if all things are equal and the QB isn't Jake Plummer, sure why not.
I just wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby spodog » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:40 pm

My opponents QB would have no bearing on decision at all.

The status of the opposing NFL teams' CB's, however, would be a great thing to look at to break ties.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:48 pm

I do not factor in my opponent's team when I set lineup. Since they're not actually playing each other, I set my lineup based solely on what I think will score more points that week.

And it's worked perfectly this season... 0-2. :)
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:33 am

I'm starting Warner against the team with Fitz in my $$$ league, but not to "cancel" Fitz out. I just start who I think will get me the most points. Who the other team is starting is irrelevant.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:29 am

I don't think it applies because it doesn't really "cancel". They score points differently. In my league, if my QB throws for 220 yds and 2 TD, that's 15 points. If his receiver catches for 100 yards and 2 TDs, that's 22 points. I'd rather start my QB that I think will go for 280 and 3 TDs.

In other words, I would never sit my stud just to start my opponent's receiver's QB.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby BigMusky » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:28 am

It really should not matter who the other team starts...but I upset the undefeated Manning team the year he set the NFL record for TD passes because I already had Marvin and then put Dallas Clarke in my lineup for that reason and they essentially caught all 4 of his passes that day. It was complete luck, but the cancelling out factor has worked for me before.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk