Will Matt Millen ever be fired??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Matt Millen ever be fired???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Matt Millen ever be fired???

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 53

Re: Will Matt Millen ever be fired???

Postby stomperrob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Well if the Lions ever do decide to cut the umbilical cord, we could definitely use him on the Steelers staff, albeit not in management - with his unique talents and skill set, I see a brilliant future for him as a parking lot attendant!
;-) :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:How about Isiah Thomas, formerly of the NY Knicks? How long was he with NY? :-b

Millen is never going to be fired. ;-D

Isiah at least got kicked out of New York recently after only about 2-3 years of damage...Millen has been keeping it real since, what, 2001?

Yes the Lions uber suckage period started in 2001.... the year prior they were 9-7!!!! 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 am

it's simpe guys, William Clay Ford likes Millen as a dinner companion, he's not going anywhere as long as he's alive
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:it's simpe guys, William Clay Ford likes Millen as a dinner companion, he's not going anywhere as long as he's alive

Well maybe one of you lions fans should do something about that. 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:15 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:it's simpe guys, William Clay Ford likes Millen as a dinner companion, he's not going anywhere as long as he's alive

Well maybe one of you lions fans should do something about that. 8-o

Are you suggesting...

8-o ;-) :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Pjluva10 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:08 am

Interesting article posted on NFL.com today. All I have to say is that Marinelli should have never stopped slapping Millen. :-) Moron!!!

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Matt Millen has plenty of experience drafting top 10 players.

The Detroit Lions president and general manager has done it in each of the previous six years with shaky results.

Millen will have to wait until the middle of the first round on Saturday -- with pick No. 15 -- for the first time since he had the 18th pick in 2001 when he took control of a franchise coming off a 9-7 season.

"In some regards, you just sit there and there's nothing you can do," Millen said. "You're just going to wait and see what happens and whatever falls to you, you'll take your best guess."

Millen's hunches haven't panned out for the most part.

After a solid start in his first draft, selecting offensive tackle Jeff Backus, his first pick in three of the next four years were busts: Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers and Mike Williams.

Most of his picks after the first round have failed to help the team, too.

But Millen credits coach Rod Marinelli with helping him alter how he evaluates players and their personalities.

"He basically slapped me in the back of the head and said, 'Listen, we've got to get back to football character,"' Millen recalled Marinelli telling him. "I was like, 'Yeah, of course we do.
Pjluva10
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby RWLongy4 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 am

I have a conspiracy theory about Millen and the Lions... They figure if they keep sucking they can always have a top 15ish pick in the draft. With that pick they decide that they will take only skill positions (which people are obviously more fond of buying jerseys of). This way every year they draft a Calvin Johnson and everyone gets excited and buys this new prospects jersey hoping they will be the savior of the Lions. $$ for them and they don't even have to put forth the effort in managing a team correctly. :-b Rashard Mendenhal here we come.

Either that or he's just an idiot.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:32 am

To answer the original question.....Yes, he will eventually be fired.

There are number of factors that go into the Lions problems. Obviously Millen is the main guy that people focus on. Looking at the 9-7 team that he took over, well, that wasn't really a 9-7 team. It was a lot of smoke and mirrors and they over-performed.

Now, before I get to far into this, let me say I am all for the firing of Millen and the rest of this post is not to take away blame from him for our poor record.

As far as relating it to the draft, like the article mentions, hindsight is 20/20. The Lions have actually had some decent drafts, and the experts have rated them pretty high too (at the time). Sure the players have not panned out or gotten injured, most of that goes to the coaching staff(the Millen picked coaches).

Going back to the 9-7 team, we had a smash-mouth Norris division team, Millen ended up picking a west coast coach, and started drafting that way. Well, it has never worked. The coaches have never gotten the players to buy into it either.

So, there are a number of factors, but the draft sticks out more because of the receiver picks more than anything.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby moochman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 am

dream_017 wrote:To answer the original question.....Yes, he will eventually be fired.

There are number of factors that go into the Lions problems. Obviously Millen is the main guy that people focus on. Looking at the 9-7 team that he took over, well, that wasn't really a 9-7 team. It was a lot of smoke and mirrors and they over-performed.

Now, before I get to far into this, let me say I am all for the firing of Millen and the rest of this post is not to take away blame from him for our poor record.

As far as relating it to the draft, like the article mentions, hindsight is 20/20. The Lions have actually had some decent drafts, and the experts have rated them pretty high too (at the time). Sure the players have not panned out or gotten injured, most of that goes to the coaching staff(the Millen picked coaches).

Going back to the 9-7 team, we had a smash-mouth Norris division team, Millen ended up picking a west coast coach, and started drafting that way. Well, it has never worked. The coaches have never gotten the players to buy into it either.

So, there are a number of factors, but the draft sticks out more because of the receiver picks more than anything.

From the very start Door-Matt Millen has done everything wrong. Sure it was an old 9-7 team, but lets remember the first move by Door-Matt was to let soon to be an all-pro C to save $100,000. Then hire a coach with no experience being a head coach. All of his draft have been abject failures, that Door-Matt is well connected in media and football circles helped propagate the notion that any of those drafts made sense. So now we see Door-Matt has another head coach with no experience who is going to lead us out of our draft day mockery. And how is that to happen? NimRod Marinelli(thanks Dream for that moniker) talks about football character and about being more deligent with day two picks, while claiming to have done well in day one!!!! NimRod is another Millenite* and we are doomed.
Will Millen ever be fired? Only Lord Ford knows...and he ain't telling. That fool buys everything DoorMatt is selling like a shiney new Edsel rolling onto the showroom floor.

*Millenite: One whose major qualification for being a Millen head coach is having a name starting with the letter M. And M is for Moron.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby The Lung » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:49 pm

(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk