Garrison Hearst's bigoted comments... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Garrison Hearst's bigoted comments...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Garrison Hearst's bigoted comments...

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:33 am

9er Fan wrote:Athletes can say whatever they want.


Except John Rocker and Jeremy Shockey (neither of which said anything as hateful as "faggot"). What similarity do these two athletes have?... Hmmmmm. ;-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby yoda83 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:55 pm

lifeform, for someone who hasnt grown up as a minority, you've made some excellent points. actually, you've made excellent points regardless of race. just wanted to let you know.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 522
Joined: 1 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lifeform » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:47 pm

yoda83 wrote:lifeform, for someone who hasnt grown up as a minority, you've made some excellent points. actually, you've made excellent points regardless of race. just wanted to let you know.


Thanks for your kind words, Yoda.
Everything you know is wrong.
lifeform
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 122
Joined: 6 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Philadelphia

Postby arrbez » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:17 pm

V-unit wrote:I dislike Bush also Guest but thats just the way it is.Bush should of never won but thats a whole different issue.America is the shizznit compared to any other country in the world with or without Football. ;-D


not to get into an argmument over countries, but you guys do have some big racial issues. i'm not saying there isn't problems here or in any other country in the world. but when i visit the states it seems like everyone is living in their own seperate factions. i recently saw bowling for columbine, and one line really stuck out in my head. i cant remember exactly how it goes, but it was something like: "one thing that can always be counted on is White America's fear of the Black Man". living in Toronto, we get buffallo TV stations as well, and there really is a big difference. the amount of sensationalism and fear-mongering the the american news is just crazy...

in north america we pride ourselves on being diverse and accepting, but i'm not sure if that's completely true. there's still a measure of segregation that continues because of past oppression or conflicts, whether it be african americans, french canadians, or the natives on both sides of the border.

i recently travelled around europe, and spent a lot of time in germany. even though that country was host to some of the worst acts of government-organized racism and hatred ever in the past, i found the people to be the most accepting of anywhere i've been. people would actually just start appologizing to me for things that happened 50 years before any of us were born when they found out i was half jewish. it was ridiculous. but it shows that germany has made some strong movements in the education system and the media, and it shows. this is something that i think we still need to work on over here.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that we like to think we're there already when it comes to living in harmony with one another, but we've still got a ways to go yet.
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 493
Joined: 2 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Toronto

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:44 pm

arrbez wrote:recently saw bowling for columbine...


arrbez wrote:. i recently saw bowling for columbine...

Ooop, you lost me right there. The opinion of anybody that believes that "documentary" to be a factual work of non-fiction has absolutely no merit with me whatsoever. I'm sure you don't care what I think, but do a little research on that "documentary" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you drive through a bad neighborhood and lock your doors, it doesn't mean you're a racist. It means you're smart and will probably live longer. Crime is associated with poverty, not race. If a disproportionate percentage of the African Community live in poverty, a disproportionate percentage of the crime will be committed by African Americans. This is not a racist comment, this is a fact. Answer me this. If a white person has a generalized fear of black people, is this person a racist? Are his fears unjustified?
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby arrbez » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:05 pm

you obviously watched the documentary to have such a strong oppinion about it. does this discredit eveything you just said too?

i quoted a line from a film. i didn't say it was true, just that it stuck out to me. if you'll care to check back to my original post, i followed it up with my thoughts about sensationalism and seperatism in the american media (ie: movies. ie: the movie in question). obviously bowling for columbine was edited to the directors liking, to show the events in the way he wanted.i never said it was truth. before you go off on another tangeant on why i should be scared of the poor, step back and recite these two simple words:

"serenity now"

..and let it all melt away...

;-)
It doesn't need to be in good taste, so long as it tastes good
arrbez
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 493
Joined: 2 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Toronto

Postby dcheel » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:17 pm

Do you really think Plummer can have 4 good games in a row? I don't know. If I was a betting man, I think I'd have to go with Kansas City at home.


Have to agree. I'm taking KC in this one but I think alot of it is going to depend on just how well Portis can play. Should be a heck of a game either way. ;-D
dcheel
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 69
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thrillho » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:20 pm

I liked Bowling for Columbine, not for any of the arguments or ideas presented, but because Michael Moore is a very handsome man.
thrillho
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 139
Joined: 20 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:21 pm

thrillho wrote:I liked Bowling for Columbine, not for any of the arguments or ideas presented, but because Michael Moore is a very handsome man.


LOL :-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby mtarail » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:45 pm

I disagree. Pro athletes, white and black, are often anti-gay. The make comments like this all the time. But when Jeremy Shockey, who's in the spotlight because of his attitude and cockiness, makes a stupid comment the press will magnify it because the press can sell advertising space/time--people want to know what stupid thing Shockey does next.

When Reggie White made anti-gay comments it was big news. But nobody really cares about what Hearst says. Same with Scot Pollard in basketball. A white player who made several anti-gay comments a few years ago that were published in Sacramento's leading paper and got no bad press for his statements.

Shockey is one of the biggest names in football right now. That's why the statement was big. Not because he's white. If a superstar like Ray Lewis or Ricky Williams or heck, Donovan McNabb had made the same comment that Hearst did, it would be big news.

Most of these guys probably think similarly to Hearst, but they're smart enough not to say it publicly. Just like celebrities these days know better than to to weigh into political issues that are any more divisive than flag-waving.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 970
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 5:21 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact