Garrison Hearst's bigoted comments... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Garrison Hearst's bigoted comments...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:49 pm

Anonymous wrote:
AF wrote:Never heard anything about it that's why.

Exactly!!! The media chose not to make this a story. John Rocker says something bigoted... gets slammed. Jeremy Shockey says something bigoted... gets slammed. Garrison Hearst says something bigoted... nothing. Shockey and Rocker are both complete jackasses. I have no problem with them getting chastised. I DO want a little consistency, though.

Agree...100%. But, I do think McNabb is overrated. But not because he is black.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:32 pm

arrbez wrote:
in north america we pride ourselves on being diverse and accepting, but i'm not sure if that's completely true. there's still a measure of segregation that continues because of past oppression or conflicts, whether it be african americans, french canadians, or the natives on both sides of the border.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that we like to think we're there already when it comes to living in harmony with one another, but we've still got a ways to go yet.

Arrbez...

Leave Europe out of this debate because it cannot compare to the North American way of life whatsoever. I'm Canadian too and I've taken enough classes and seen it enough first hand to know that there is a huge difference in the way that minorities in Canada and the US are treated(this is not meant to sound derogatory in anyway). In the US everyone is expected to join the "melting pot" and be proud to be American. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this idea. The difference is that in Canada everyone is expected to join the "mosaic" and celebrate what makes them different.

What has surprised me is the amount of attention that Limbaugh gets overall, and the attention he has gotten from this incident. I should point out that, to my knowledge, Rush Limbaugh gets no airtime in Canada. What I've been exposed to of him is that he brings high ratings (thanks to controversy) and yet at the same time there are a lot of people who feel the same way he does. Is this true? I don't want to wade too deeply into this issue since I don't have any understanding of what it's like to be American - whatever your background may be.

But for Hearst receive no flak for making comments about sexuality, that has nothing to do with race. That has everything to be with him simply being a stupid man. I could care less if my team mate in any sport was gay or straight, white or black, rich or poor. If he's an asshole he's an asshole, and there's nothing you can do about it. As for the media...it's sports media that does the reporting and frankly they are mere representatives of fluff journalism. Besides, does anyone put any stock into what some dumb jock thinks anyway?

Friendliness: %

Postby Swanny_1 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:24 pm

Why is this even a topic and being discussed in a FFootball forum??

Look, I agree with Limbaugh on some things. I don't think his comments were really that racially biased or bad. I don't think there was anything wrong with what Hearst said either. Each man is entitled to his own opinion, and his way of expression. If Hearst wants to call every homosexual in America a faggot, that is his right! You don't have to agree with him....You don't have to root for him, you don't have to buy his jersey, you don't have to purchase any product that the man endorses, because that is your right as an American as well. I think the media does sensationalize a lot of things because in doing so, it helps them get dollars. Which, in case anyone forgets, is the purpose of owning a news outlet; such as a TV station, Radio, or Newspaper.

Guest, what is your answer for Hearst?? Should he be censured by the media and them not talk to him?? Should he apologize for having opinions that differ from yours?? Would you rather like to see every Athlete make sure that their comments are brought out in the open for the world to see?? And last but not least, does it really matter??

In this world, you are going to have people not as socially concerned as you, who aren't going to say all the right things. No one can and no one does. That is why there are so many media faux pas.

Look, to everyone else reading this, get on with your life and try not to look at somebody through eyes that cause bigotry, due to any reason. It is silly and separates us as Americans........

Everybody let's sing..Kumbaya my lord (Lord does not necessarily have to mean Jesus, Allah, Jehovah, Elohim, Buddha, or any others that escape me)..Kumbaya.... :-)
Swanny_1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Previous

Return to Football Talk