that was way closer than it should have been

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby roninmedia » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:08 am

The team has this swoon period each and every game where they seem lethargic.

So far, we've either played inferior competition with not enough athletes to last 60 minutes. Luckily, there aren't really many teams in the SEC where we could crown them offensive juggernauts.

But teams like LSU and Auburn have veteran qbs, good running games, and defenses that scare the bejesus out of me. If we go out and fall into the early swoon during these two teams, they have good enough offenses to jam it down our throat for an early two td+ lead. :-/
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:08 pm

roninmedia wrote:The team has this swoon period each and every game where they seem lethargic.

So far, we've either played inferior competition with not enough athletes to last 60 minutes. Luckily, there aren't really many teams in the SEC where we could crown them offensive juggernauts.

But teams like LSU and Auburn have veteran qbs, good running games, and defenses that scare the bejesus out of me. If we go out and fall into the early swoon during these two teams, they have good enough offenses to jam it down our throat for an early two td+ lead. :-/

I wouldn't really put Brandon Cox in the same league as Jamarcus Russell or Chris Leak, he's more of an Eric Ainge type in my book, if even that. Cox is just not the type of QB who is going to take the game over for you, he can't carry a team on his back, whereas Jamarcus Russell is that and more. (I kind of have some man love for Russell)

I think the true problem with the Florida Gators lies in the secondary, especially when they go to Nickel and Dime. They are forced to bring in the dreaded McCollum twins who are both equally awful. Starting CB Ryan Smith isn't exactly spectacular in coverage either however he makes up with it with his above average pressuring skills which happens a lot throughout the game.

I'm not worried about Kenny Irons or that LSU RB (it's not still Justin Vincent, is it?) moreso worried about the Auburn atmosphere and JaMarcus Russell's ability to take the game over. I was at the Alabama game last year and you could tell how much that game meant to those people, and to be honest the Gators were beat before they even took the field, they weren't ready for that. As far as the LSU game goes, my question is, even if we get pressure on Russell... are our DBs (outside Reggie Nelson) going to be able to tackle him? Russell is 6-5 250+ and extremely tough to take down, that I think is going to make it a long day for the Gators.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:28 pm

Justin Vincent is still at LSU, but Alley Broussard is their starter.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby roninmedia » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:44 pm

The veteran QBs in the sense they can manage the game, read the defense, and not make stupid decisions. They have played in big games before.

No one else on the schedule besides Auburn and LSU have this.

I've been to all the games so far this year. Please people, Tim Tebow is not the saviour this year. Give Chris Leak the chance he needs and he'll prove how great of a Gator QB he is. Tebow has 3 more years after this.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:46 pm

From what I have seen I agree with you. I really can't see how playing anybody but Leak would be justifyable.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:47 pm

roninmedia wrote:The veteran QBs in the sense they can manage the game, read the defense, and not make stupid decisions. They have played in big games before.

No one else on the schedule besides Auburn and LSU have this.

I've been to all the games so far this year. Please people, Tim Tebow is not the saviour this year. Give Chris Leak the chance he needs and he'll prove how great of a Gator QB he is. Tebow has 3 more years after this.

I don;t think anyone on this board has said he is the savior this year. In fact some people don't think he is going to be good at all. I am obviously not one of them ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:32 pm

Tebow has looked great no doubt, but I don't think anyone is saying he should be playing over Leak as evidenced by the roaring applause Leak got everytime he came into the game this week.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:46 am

Free Bagel wrote:Tebow has looked great no doubt, but I don't think anyone is saying he should be playing over Leak as evidenced by the roaring applause Leak got everytime he came into the game this week.

Exactly, every TV person blew the boos two weeks ago out of proportion. No one was booing Leak, they were booing the decision to take Tebow out after he had driven the field, they wanted him to finish it off. Then TV/ESPN got a hold of it and now everyone thinks FL fans want Tebow to start over Leak, any intelligent FL fan knows we need Leak if we want to win.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:55 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Tebow has looked great no doubt, but I don't think anyone is saying he should be playing over Leak as evidenced by the roaring applause Leak got everytime he came into the game this week.

Exactly, every TV person blew the boos two weeks ago out of proportion. No one was booing Leak, they were booing the decision to take Tebow out after he had driven the field, they wanted him to finish it off. Then TV/ESPN got a hold of it and now everyone thinks FL fans want Tebow to start over Leak, any intelligent FL fan knows we need Leak if we want to win.

I think they were booing Chris Leak. :-B
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to College Football