V Davis... any SF homers around - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

V Davis... any SF homers around

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kellys Heroes » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:49 am

I hope so.. my team is in a little trouble after this week...
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:39 pm

Vernon Davis is, correction: WAS, dropping passes left and right this year. Week 2 he dropped one in the endzone. Week 3 he dropped a pass when he had the safety beat by 5 yards and likely would have been a score. And those are just the impact plays that could have changed games I am talking about, the guy was dropping a LOT of passes. Davis can get open but he can't catch the ball.

Eric Johnson on the other hand has hands made of velcro. He catches the ball real well. And he can run the 10-20 seam route through coverage and make the catch. A couple seasons ago, he racked up 80+ receptions running that type of route all day long.

I would add Eric Johson IMMEDIATELY to your roster now that he is the lone TE in the offense for at least a month. Vernon Davis is out 4 weeks minimum with the broken leg. I figure that EJ is instantly a top10 TE, and starts over guys like Randy McMichael, Chris Cooley, or whoever else you whiffed on when you drafted a TE. With the way Alex Smith is throwing the ball, I could see EJ right up there with the Todd Heap's of the world in the weekly box score. That's a big time waiver pickup on TE when there really isn't very much else out there to pickup. Hopefully other owners in your league will chalk EJ up to a one week wonder and kinda of ignore the Vernon Davis broken leg injury. Don't make that mistake and miss your chance at this rare waiver gem.

The only real drawback to Eric Johnson is his tendency to get season ending injuries. Right now he is healthy and he is going to produce some big games. Even if he does get injured at some point, you shouldn't expect him to maintain his scoring when Vernon Davis comes back. But EJ does give you time for an underperforming TE to right his ship and/or another TE to emerge to replace him later.

Personally, I think Eric Johnson is one of the better TEs in the league and the Niner's made a mistake looking for a stud TE in the first round this year. Shoulda drafted defense...and rolled with EJ all year long. Fact is, Eric Johnson may get banged up a lot, but he is an upper tier starting TE in the NFL when healthy. Right now he is healthy and he's been healthy the entire offseason as well. The guy is gonna come in a do a better job than Davis was doing in the first few weeks.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:27 pm

Glad I snagged Eric Johnson for Shockey's bye this week. If he can play well for a couple of weeks while VD is out, could be a nice trade chip also. ;-D

9er guys or anyone.. if SF continues losing and Johnson is playing well, what would the TE situation look like when VD returns?
Formerly known as kanezfan11
MMoNeY24
Water Boy
Water Boy

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GMoney » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:07 am

While EJ is healthy they "SHOULD' and have spoken about playing both TEs on the field at the same time.

In weeks 1 and 2 that did NOT happen alot, however in Nolans press conferences he always said that they wanted to use EJ more in weeks 3 onwards.

In the first half EJ and VD WERE on the field togeather quite a bit. when EJ caught his first 4 balls i believe.

Once VD left EJ was the only TE left and caught another 3 balls and a score.

When VD gets healthy again i really dont see him supplanting EJ, however i dont see the number 6 pick in the draft on the bench much either. I think the 2 TE set will become a staple of the niner offence.

In the Meantime for those of you picking up EJ (I will be) keep an eye on how much Delanie Walker plays. Guy is an exciting prospect and a very powerful runner. Hes been injured with a separated shoulder for the first 3 weeks, but has been cleared to practice this week and should be active for week 5. Delanie could steal some reps from EJ (not sure what Nolan and co. are going to do).
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby GMoney » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:13 am

While EJ is healthy they "SHOULD' and have spoken about playing both TEs on the field at the same time.

In weeks 1 and 2 that did NOT happen alot, however in Nolans press conferences he always said that they wanted to use EJ more in weeks 3 onwards.

In the first half EJ and VD WERE on the field togeather quite a bit. when EJ caught his first 4 balls i believe.

Once VD left EJ was the only TE left and caught another 3 balls and a score.

When VD gets healthy again i really dont see him supplanting EJ, however i dont see the number 6 pick in the draft on the bench much either. I think the 2 TE set will become a staple of the niner offence.

In the Meantime for those of you picking up EJ (I will be) keep an eye on how much Delanie Walker plays. Guy is an exciting prospect and a very powerful runner. Hes been injured with a separated shoulder for the first 3 weeks, but has been cleared to practice this week and should be active for week 5. Delanie could steal some reps from EJ (not sure what Nolan and co. are going to do).
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk