What I learned tonight - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What I learned tonight

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SniperShot » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:58 am

Something else, I was very surprised how well the Saints D played. Maybe the the Falcons' playcalling was pathetic, but I thought the Saints gameplan on D was on the money.

So many times they had an extra guy pretty much assigned to Vick, because the Falcons can't pass worth anything you're not really taking a risk. The Saints DB's are underrated, they had awesome coverage all night. Of course maybe they looked awesome because Vick was passing, but they did have some great jumps and made some nice plays on the ball.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gorpin03 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:05 am

Enter Matt Schaub.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. -Bill Cosby
Gorpin03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PSU All Day » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:24 am

We all knew it was coming with Vick right? I drafted him with the understanding that at some point in the season teams were going to figure out (again) that if you force the Falcons out of the run you have a really good chance of winning the game.

That said, I thought that the Saints D looked fast when they had to close on Vick. There were a number of plays where Vick faked the hand off turned to pass and there were 2-3 defenders in his face.

Hard to run with penetration like that.

Now the question is will Atlanta adjust with screens and short quick slants and can the receivers hold onto the ball. I for one am dubious.

It doesn't help when Crumpler drops a ball that hit him right in the hands and in the process of moving the ball from shoulder height to his large gut he puts it on the floor. Sure TD there that was not Vicks fault at all. That one play changes the game as well since I believe it would have made it 10 - 13.

Of course as bad as Vick was this week he still managed 11 points vs. the 18 Bulger had. If Crumpler catches that TD it is even closer.
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The_Dude » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:36 am

Great post Bagel. ;-D

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby hellmat » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:59 am

I loved the comment about the play calling, i'm sitting there thinking, first and goal at the 1 for the best rushing team in the NFL, guaranteed touchdown. I mean, let Vick QB sneak it twice and your pretty much guaranteed a touchdown. Was the ATL coordinator playing against Vick this week in fantasy football, and didn't want the to score or what??? Just brutal play calling.

Also, do the Falcons have any offensive plays where a receiver runs a slant, or a 5-7 yard hook or any pattern short of 15-20 yards. It seemed like the middle was always open with all the Saints blitzing and a short passing game ( like the Redskins on Sunday) would of worked.
hellmat
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: What I learned tonight

Postby RugbyD » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:26 am

wrveres wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I am a better pure passer than Michael Vick. There, I said it. My resume includes impressive feats such as a successful career in intramural football and all of its glory. Vick can't throw an 8 yard hitch on target. He can't get a seam route within 15 yards of the receiver. He can't even beging to read downfield coverage as the Saints had hardly anyone downfield all night and the best Vick could come up with was a couple jump balls that went 40 yards into the air. Vick's value as an NFL QB comes from his running ability, and his persistence in proving that he is a capable passer is costing his team. Early on in this game there were several open running lanes but Vick chose to stand in the pocket and skip a ball at his WR's feet instead. He didn't start running until the game was over. Vick will never be great until he realizes that he's a RB playing QB, and tries to stop proving that he can throw the ball like Brett Favre in his prime.

I couldn't help but notice, but he threw zero picks. And only one all year, against some pretty good defenses .. That is improvement, and for that I am happy

i can't speak for week 1 or 2, but last night he threw no picks because his passes were so bad that even defenders couldn't get them, let alone his receivers.

all the ATL WRs were covered like glue with only single coverage last night. Vick clearly does not have the ability to throw to the correct side to combat this. Unless his WRs can get some sort of separation, Vick cannot reliably get the ball to them. Enter 8 in the box and the run game will suffer. Not looking good for ATL unless they are facing a shoddy secondary.
[b]Hermes[/b]: Just such the obstinancy that brought you here, to this self-willed calamitous anchorage.

[b]Prometheus[/b]: Be sure of this: when I set my misfortune against your slavery, I would not change.
RugbyD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:49 am

The thing I was most impressed with last night was the Saints' coaching staff.

Most people around the league are going to chalk that win up to emotion and heart, and I won't say that had nothing to do with it, but it was obvious that Payton put in a lot of plays specifically designed to expoit the Falcons defensive speed, and the defensive staff did a good job of preparing our young safeties for Vick and Crumpler. Roman Harper made a bunch of great plays both in coverage on Crumpler and at the line of scrimmage in run support and Vick containment.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Re: What I learned tonight

Postby bklik » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm

wrveres wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I am a better pure passer than Michael Vick. There, I said it. My resume includes impressive feats such as a successful career in intramural football and all of its glory. Vick can't throw an 8 yard hitch on target. He can't get a seam route within 15 yards of the receiver. He can't even beging to read downfield coverage as the Saints had hardly anyone downfield all night and the best Vick could come up with was a couple jump balls that went 40 yards into the air. Vick's value as an NFL QB comes from his running ability, and his persistence in proving that he is a capable passer is costing his team. Early on in this game there were several open running lanes but Vick chose to stand in the pocket and skip a ball at his WR's feet instead. He didn't start running until the game was over. Vick will never be great until he realizes that he's a RB playing QB, and tries to stop proving that he can throw the ball like Brett Favre in his prime.

I couldn't help but notice, but he threw zero picks. And only one all year, against some pretty good defenses .. That is improvement, and for that I am happy

When you bounce the ball into coverage, it makes and INT really hard. He would probably throw more interceptions if the secondary covered the recievers 15-20 yards off to anticipate Vicks miserable accuracy.
TEAM A
LEINART, farve
HOUSH, ROY WILLIAMS, DRIVER, hackett, bennett, marshal
RUDI, BUSH, JORDAN, green
HEAP

TEAM B
PEYTON
WAYNE, BOLDIN, MARSHALL, gonzalez, marshall
PARKER, GREEN, chester, betts
WINSLOW
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Crippler » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:23 pm

For everyone hating ATL for going for the pass on the 1, think about it for a minute. They lost their goalline back. Dunn isnt exactly a powerhouse back. EVERYONE thought they would run on that play, so they took a chance and tried to cash in on that knowing that the recievers would be open. It didnt work, big deal. Anyone can second guess that play, but the same people would be calling them geniuses had they converted for the TD. Second guessing things in hindsight is easy.

I dislike the Falcons as much as anyone, but I dont think it was a bad choice.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)