The dude is injured and the coach leaves him in the game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The dude is injured and the coach leaves him in the game

Moderator: Football Moderators

The dude is injured and the coach leaves him in the game

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:45 pm

Not Chris Simms. I'm talking about Shaun Alexander.

It was clear to everyone watching the game that he was limping and in pain. And Seattle was up by 28, then 35, then 42 points -- and Holmgren left him in the game.

And now his foot is broken. Nice job Mike.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:50 pm

Hindsight being what it is...

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Wesley Walker » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:00 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:Hindsight being what it is...

It's not like we're talking about some hack, though. This is the franchise player.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:04 am

Yeah, but it's not likely that he broke it in the game. They thought it was a "sore foot." I'm sure they weren't doing anything KNOWINGLY against SA's best interest. Whatever is in his interest, is in theirs.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:08 am

FatFoot wrote:Yeah, but it's not likely that he broke it in the game. They thought it was a "sore foot." I'm sure they weren't doing anything KNOWINGLY against SA's best interest. Whatever is in his interest, is in theirs.

What he said.

As an SA owner (and fan) I'm as upset as anyone that's he's going to miss significant time. But it will be the first time he ever has, and I don't think it was Holmgren's fault.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Wesley Walker » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:11 am

FatFoot wrote:Yeah, but it's not likely that he broke it in the game. They thought it was a "sore foot." I'm sure they weren't doing anything KNOWINGLY against SA's best interest. Whatever is in his interest, is in theirs.

I'm sure they thought the foot would be fine going into the game. But then he was limping around everywhere. Why not pull him out then and send him straight to the x-ray? Play Morris for the rest of the game, and perhaps avoid having to play Morris for half-a-dozen games straight.

Sure, maybe the foot was fractured going into the game. First, that begs the question: Why didn't they know that and why was he playing at all? It seems just as likely that a bad bruise and damaged tissue developed into a fracture as he ran around on it, made cuts on it, got hit with his weight on it, etc.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:30 am

I'm not a doctor but I would doubt that any kind of bruising would lead to broken bones. The trauma that initially leads to bruising, maybe, but I don't think he did anything in the game that would have caused greater trauma than normal. Meaning, I have doubts that he sustained ANY sort of foot injury in the game. I am betting that the pain was from... running on a broken foot. I have to imagine that after the adrenaline and endorphins wear off, that sonofagun is going to HURT.

I would presume that the underlying injury this whole time has been a broken foot. It would seem at the very least, to be the logical conclusion. There are 26 bones in the foot (wiki) and sometimes a fracture (especially a small one) is extremely difficult to diagnose (see White Sox Frank Thomas last year.) Add to that the fact that SA probably didn't believe it was serious, and was probably talking it down.

Yeah, I would have taken him out, if my team was up that far, and I could see him in obvious performance-limiting pain. But maybe he asked to be kept in the game. I guess my point is, I don't see this as outrageous. Just a HUGE bummer for Seattle and SA and FF SA owners.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby bellings » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:31 am

I'm not even a SA owner, and I've got to agree with the original poster. It was obvious he was hurting. Even with a "sore foot", when you're up by that much, you let your super-stud RB rest. VERY questionable coaching decision.
bellings
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:35 am

can you imagine how pissed SA owners would be if he was pulled during the middle of a game? there would be like 6,000 wtf threads about it.

oh well. you're probably right about pulling him, though. but i doubt it would have made a difference. it was probably already broken and he'd still miss the same amount of time.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby u_fig_eater » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:54 am

With the hawks up 35-3 at halftime, and even 21-0 after a quarter, he shouldnt have played another down unless the Giants threatened. As a Hawks fan, I'm a little irratated, and I'm sure SA's foot was too.
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk